Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Amateur

Default Fire mage complaint: invisible explosions

Hi,
Casual newcomer to DC, also got the expansion, and a real fan so far. Have dabbled with a few characters, mostly getting them to 30's or 40's then start a new one. Really great game.

Currently playing a lvl 32 pure fire mage, it's a difficult build but mostly very fun to play.

But one thing is incredibly annoying and unfair: these invisible dungeon explosions after a fire spell that happen totally without warning and insta-kill the character. This is NOT the cave-ins, those are bad enough but at least you have a second to see them coming and get out of the way.

The explosions I'm referring to happen once in a while just after casting fireball or maelstrom, you hear a little click and then bam, enough damage to kill me if I'm at less than about 2/3 health. Guessing it's some dungeon element that invisibly explodes from the fire. But it's seemingly unpredictable, and therefore impossible to defend against.

Probably HALF my deaths are due to these little click explosions. This is an extremely aggravating and unfair way to die, it's not fun or challenging, just tedious.

I understand the concept that fire mages have built-in danger associated with the spells... and the cave-ins, exploding barrels, etc work well for that. But these invisible gas explosions or whatever are pointless. A fire mage is already a VERY fragile character to play without dying frequently... so these explosions are a really bad game element imo.

And if i'm missing something here, let me know!
Cheers
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Expert

Forgive my relative inexperience but I have NO IDEA what you're referring to.

I would suspect that's either from exploding barrels or traps on the ground, but I don't think I've ever encountered anything I couldn't attribute to something.

Could it be a reaction from a spell you cast?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Elite

If you see green steam coming out of a crack, it's gas. Highly flammable. White steam is water vapor.

Other possibilities are regular barrels, oil barrels, and alcohol barrels, which will all catch fire when hit with it.

Last edited by Roswitha : 03-21-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Legend

Also if you blow up an energy vortex you get a huge explosion.

May I ask what skills you're using and at what levels?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Champion

I'm pretty sure that the little click indicates the detonating fireball or continuing firestorm just found a tasty gas leak. Gas explosions are considered a trap, and the click means the trap went off. Fireball's fiery concussion may sometimes stick around long enough to ignite the gas leak that it just exposed, and Maelstrom is obviously a continuing firestorm that rips up 3/4 of the screen. A gas leak yet to be popped looks like a green plume from the ground.

I have a Defender/Fire Mage who has taken a few of these things himself. He never died because of his massive HP. The clicks stopped resulting in damage just as soon as I put on sufficient Trap Disarm gear to disarm this "trap."

Unfortunately, you won't be able to use my solution, as the Fireman exploit was fixed many versions ago. All I can say within current game rules is try to shoot things at a distance so the gas explosion doesn't reach you, and run away from any Maelstrom you cast.

If you're willing to alter the game a bit, check the mod forum for two possible solutions to your problem.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Legend

One solution would be to implement what I used to have in (and took out of) my balance mod: resistance going up with each fire spell level. If you play with fire, you should have some pretty decent fire resistance. Fire mastery shouldn't be a necessity -- knowing the spells is mastery in itself.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
One solution would be to implement what I used to have in (and took out of) my balance mod: resistance going up with each fire spell level. If you play with fire, you should have some pretty decent fire resistance. Fire mastery shouldn't be a necessity -- knowing the spells is mastery in itself.
Unfortunately for that logical idea, gas explosions check Magic resist, not Fire resist. They are just repurposed Magical Explosion traps.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumitted View Post
Unfortunately for that logical idea, gas explosions check Magic resist, not Fire resist. They are just repurposed Magical Explosion traps.
Wow really? I'd say that's completely off. Nothing magical about them!

I'd definitely call that a bug. In fact I'm changing that right now in my mod, and I hope Shadow will change it too.

Last edited by Bluddy : 03-22-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I need to go in and fix that.
Patreon
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Elite

Quote:
Hasn't it been like that since the beginning?