Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Legend

Default Where to go from here?

Dins Curse Demon War has given more replayability due to randomness and overall ingenuity. In the coming and recent patches, mages have been largely improved and most spells are now actually viable in later levels of the game.

The question I have is where to go from here?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Elite

A lot of the recent reviews have praised that the random gameplay is influenced by the players choices (letting a weather machine be built, starving townfolk, etc.). I'd suggest thinking of other quests or actions that would make the clicker feel like they are influencing the gameplay.

For example, maybe a variation on the meeting quest (where both boss monsters are meeting and should be wiped out). Instead, have a quest where two bosses are listed, and the player gets to wipe out only one of them. Depending on the boss monster that is destroyed, have other bosses of the same creature type try to get revenge (or invade town). Maybe the surviving boss will offer a quest.

More difficult to code, would be the ability to change the underground map by destroying walls. The game already allows blowing up doors, clearing rubble, etc. Would be useful to punch a hole through a thin wall.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bak View Post
A lot of the recent reviews have praised that the random gameplay is influenced by the players choices (letting a weather machine be built, starving townfolk, etc.). I'd suggest thinking of other quests or actions that would make the clicker feel like they are influencing the gameplay.

For example, maybe a variation on the meeting quest (where both boss monsters are meeting and should be wiped out). Instead, have a quest where two bosses are listed, and the player gets to wipe out only one of them. Depending on the boss monster that is destroyed, have other bosses of the same creature type try to get revenge (or invade town). Maybe the surviving boss will offer a quest.

More difficult to code, would be the ability to change the underground map by destroying walls. The game already allows blowing up doors, clearing rubble, etc. Would be useful to punch a hole through a thin wall.
After reading your post, I have to agree on destroying walls. If you can get through a few walls to get to a room, that'd be epic. Im for that as that would be some groundbreaking stuff. Aside from that, i think that it would be cool to have some sort of tournament in town every so often. A new class would only be cool if it was a conditional class. A class that relies on conditionals.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Elite

Yup anything that encourages the player to interact with the environment is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Steven should know how nuts I go when I see a pillar to destroy. And those flammable doors!

The next expansion should be titled Destructopack, giving players 101 ways to destroy environmental entities.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Legend

There is one thing that would be cool to help those that just play single player. Sometimes when no one is online to play, you need a bit of help. You could add mercs that would join you in a particularly difficult fight (Superboss, mass elite monsters in control of particular level, etc.) that would only stay for a short while. That way you still have the lone adventurer feel that makes dins different from dop, and still give extra help. This would be a boon to anyone about to fight some of the ridiculous monstrosities that only dwell around 60+.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
You could add mercs that would join you in a particularly difficult fight
The danger is Shadow may want to reuse those voice messages from prison townfolk. Imagine a fierce merc bleating "I don't want to die!" every 20 seconds.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
There is one thing that would be cool to help those that just play single player. Sometimes when no one is online to play, you need a bit of help. You could add mercs that would join you in a particularly difficult fight (Superboss, mass elite monsters in control of particular level, etc.) that would only stay for a short while. That way you still have the lone adventurer feel that makes dins different from dop, and still give extra help. This would be a boon to anyone about to fight some of the ridiculous monstrosities that only dwell around 60+.
The Beastmaster NPC can help with that, and can be modded so that he shows up more often.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Legend

Beastmaster might work. I wouldnt mind using some of the monsters to take down some more. They would have to have a crystal though expires after a said time. The longer it would get in the time, the more chance they break a crystal.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Amateur

Non-targeted volley fire with ranged weapons and/or magic? Throw up a wall of arrows/spells for defensive suppression prior to entering a tactical situation. If mo threat exists your mana level drops. For arrows, how about a limiting number of arrows then making replacements a drop/pick up?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Expert

Personally, I would prefer that arrows not be added to the game as an item that can be dropped or purchased. I say this simply because my inventory is already overflowing with other needed items (food, potions, empty vials, etc.), and there simply isn't enough inventory space, IMHO, for archer characters to afford to keep handy the amount of arrows that they'd need, unless they can stack up to a very large number.