Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril strategy/tactics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Amateur

Default multiplayer ideas

Just started with demo, and am very impressed with game. Great concept, and I like the blend of rushing RTS speed with RPG. Maybe the game has too many exploits to have multiplayer in already, but here's a general idea on how it could work for 1v1.

Have seperate recruit NPC quest givers, timed to balance recruit gathering.
Each player starts with a free cheap guardian.
Let players quest in same areas so they can grief each other, but have most quests be independently completed (first one complete doesn't block other player from reaching)
At start 4 AI covenants in all. 2AI covenants have 70% relationship with each other, 60% relationship with 1 player, and 40% relationship with other player, and 50% relationship with other "team" of 2 AIs.
Maybe players would start at lvl 3 or 5 setting initial skills before game starts.
No pausing obviously.

Maybe more experienced players can throw in their ideas.

Alternatively, there could be some "arcade modes", where pausing turns screen black, and no pauses occur in screens, but some accomplishments are either done in the shortest time possible, or some high score attempted.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Amateur

You know at first I thought multiplayer would be awesome, but now that I think about it it would be impossable to balance. Some people would have better equipment than others, or might be just enough levels higher to make a difference. Also nobody would bother with quest, they would just start attacking each other.

The only way I can think to make it fair for everybody is to start everyone at the same level, with the same equipment. Then give everybody a bodyguard who will not adventure. All he does is guard the lifestone. This is so players have to quest for levels, loot, and followers before they can attack. Even this wouldn't be fair since loot is random, but I think it would still be fun.

The Jeremy
Old 01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Champion

I think it is better if the multiplayer is like what the guy above me said except that raiding is scheduled and killing outside is not allowed.. That way people will not be overkilled by higher levels and killing will only be allowed certain times,
Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jeremy View Post
You know at first I thought multiplayer would be awesome, but now that I think about it it would be impossable to balance. Some people would have better equipment than others, or might be just enough levels higher to make a difference. Also nobody would bother with quest, they would just start attacking each other.
Yes, for all those reasons, PvP DoP sounds a bit silly to me. I'll be interested to see how the expansion handles things, but doubt whether I'd buy it.

If there were some way to allow players to enjoy the game co-operatively (as members of the same covenant) then that might prove to be a bit of fun, since the essence of the game wouldn't change that much. Adventuring, looting and diplomacy would still have a part to play in proceedings. Just leaving each player in control of a faction each would end up as a short and bloody melee that would be over in a few moments. I fail to see the attraction of this style of play, but maybe that's just me