Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2018, 04:20 AM
Amateur

Patiently waiting
Old 05-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Elite

Default 'Soon' (TM)

TL;DR: The mod is updating in 1-2 weeks and will have major changes and updates.

---

I know that I said I'd get the next update to the mod out 'soon'. And, I really did plan to. But, well, life happens. So, after sorting everything out, I can finally play games again! And, I have come back hard to Zombasite to play and mod it once more. I'm reinvigorated and passionate about improving the game to meet my image of 'better rewards, more frequent 'stuff', harsher gameplay and very balanced gameplay from level 1 all the way to level 100'. And, I finally managed to experience the fruits of my labor a few minutes ago, which let me know that it's certainly time to make this post.

The first thing that I did when I came back was analyze my modding process. And, I immediately realized that I was working extremely sub-optimally. I was doing all of my balance calculations in a notepad document, which made the work needlessly more difficult than it needed to be. And, small calculations could create large errors.

(I'm a Software Engineer, so looking back, I have no idea why I choose to go about this task manually. I think it's because I didn't expect the work to be as much as it actually was. Calculating spell/skill damage requires accounting for so many variables that I didn't realize. So, as my work kept becoming more and more difficult, I just never made the mental shift to step back and reanalyze my work process. And, truthfully, the complexity of my calculations made my work daunting, which could have partially influenced my lack of desire to actually continue modding during the various other life changes that I was undergoing.)

Anyway, this realization resulted in me creating an Autohotkey application to simplify my work. And, it truly made my modding tasks substantially easier. I can now auto-patch my game's assets file and start the game with the click of a button! And, I can simulate damage values for every spell in the game at the click of a button. Because of these two features, I can easily simulate spell damage values by changing crit, direct spell damage, projectile damage, base cost, etc. and then play-test them within minutes, rather than what used to take literally hours. Yes, the process has been optimized by that much. (PROGRAMMING = OP)

Creating all of the pieces necessary to make this application took a while, certainly most of these past 3 weeks. But, it's benefits are too tremendous. I just play-tested spell balance at level 100, and, even though my simulations were only for damage vs. monsters at level 50, they scaled pretty much perfectly up to level 100. This is HUGE! As, it means that I can now rebalance the entire spell system rather quickly and with a very high degree of precision/accuracy. Though, I'm a bit sad that my simulations were so accurate that I might not even need to do another balance pass. Haha.

I expect the next update for this mod to be out in 1-2 weeks. And, I'm jumping to version '2.0' because the changes are extremely massive. The entire leveling system for spells is dramatically different from the base game and can really be said to be a major risk on my part. There are also a ton of other changes, as usual, that I made months ago and more recently.

Once I finish the remaining 6-7 items on my to-do list and do some more live playtesting, I'll be releasing the next version of this mod. And, again, this should take 1-2 weeks at most. But, even if I don’t finish everything on my list, I’ll release a ‘beta’ version in 2 weeks max regardless. I may also begin to add new content to the game after releasing 2.0, which more attentive folks may realize is something that I said I wouldn't do. But, that's still tentative. So, we'll see.

In any case, sorry for the wait. But, trust me, it will be worth it. I can’t wait to show off how much work has been done on this mod since the last release.

Last edited by Destro* : 05-06-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Amateur

Default Glad to see ya destro

Im glad your back at modding and cant wait to play it
Old 05-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Elite

------------------------------------------
Zombasite More Mod 2.0
By: Destro*
05/20/2018
Patch Notes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Introduction
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At long last, v2.0 is done!

This patch is a massive overhaul and update to this mod. It brings extremely refined balance to the table that has been both simulated and personally tested to ensure that gameplay feels fast-paced, rewarding and difficult all at the same time.

There are so many changes in this patch that I had to take it straight up to 2.0!
Yes, it is actually that massive and game changing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few notes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The only potentially big 'issue' with this patch is that Bards are simply not seriously balance-tested reworked. Bard overlaps a lot of the design space that I had previously allocated to other classes, such as paladin. So, I'm a bit uninspired on how to deal with the class as a whole. Hopefully within a week or two, when I get to perform a lot more playtesting, I will figure out what to do with them. But, in the meantime, my warning is that Bards may or may not be balanced. I've got no idea! :S

Second, the spell damages are simulated right now and I haven't had a chance to really playtest them. In theory, they are fine. But, over the next week or two, I'll be working to make sure that they, weapon damage and defenses are very balanced and even.

Now, onto the good stuff:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Changes!
- "brace yourself"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- All spells are using a completely new damage scaling system.

Honestly, words don't do this system justice. You will need to play to experience it. You no longer level spells beyond their first level. Instead, you level a 'might' associated with it coupled with gear to achieve high damage.

This system was made with the purpose of enabling players to be free to use more than one spell or skill in combat. And, there are some serious pros and cons to this system that might make certain hybrid combinations far more viable than one might think at first glance.

- Every skill in the game has recieved another balance pass and been heavily rebalanced. Just like the first change, this has made the game so much more different from the vanilla game that it's seriously not even funny.

Weapons have been buffed massively. And, many spell and skill mechanics have been tweaked. For example, if you look carefully, you will see that chain lightning is now amazing compared to what it was before. But, lightning arrow no the other hand no longer stuns for 3 seconds (thank god). Another notable change is that the trap skills are now considered spells (so stack that spell damage)! And, there are lots of other tweaks. Feel free to experiment with skills to see what item affixes work with them versus which don't if you never did in the past because skill damage is balanced very heavily on the scaling capabilities of spells!

- As a whole, damage on everything is way up. This makes humanoid weapon users potent once again with weapons because their damage is up. Summon damage was unchanged, so the increases on damage of everything else indirectly nerfs summons by making them less competitive (though they are still good, just balance now imho). There are a lot of consequences to the changes and they have all been quite thoroughly tested. The game will feel like a brand new experience.

- Stat differences between monster ranks have been dramatically reduced from a top down perspective. By this, I mean I made all lower-ranked monsters stronger. And, this is to incentivize farming higher ranked monsters by making the far-too rewarding lower ranked monsters less rewarding.

- My unique potions have been massively rebalanced. All potions except max last for much longer. However, they are much rarer. I also added 'availableatmaxlevel' flags to max and holy shield, so they will actually drop now (starting from level 20 though).

- Reduced experience scaling at level 40+. (Was a bit nuts by level 60). However, level 80+ still slows down quite a bit and 95+ is very hard.

- I became tired of vitality being pretty much useless. So, vitality is now 5x more effective. While it still isn't as good as raw health, it is pretty damn good. (About 2/3rd as good). When stacked with raw health, it is quite potent.

- Corpse eating has been nerfed. All monsters require at least 10 corpses to reach max power. Furthermore, the bonuses granted are far more tame.

- Champion and above difficulties now let you go to monster levels 45, 65 and 85 respectively in areas. This is to incentivize traveling farther out from the starting zone of a town, even if you create the area at max level.

- I made the base durability for items 100 (vs. old 10) and durability growth is +2 a level. The reason why is because melee is the only play style that really cares about durability (because ranged doesn't get hit), so it suffers tremendously from this system in my mod because you have to tank a LOT more hits than in vanilla as a melee char. Also, it helps because weapon durability drops way faster in my mod due to having to attack stuff more.

- Many monster skills that I have missed in the past have been tweaked ever so slightly if they are far too op. Spider's web ability is now far less annoying at only 2 seconds of webbing. Percentage stat reductions are weaker. Etc.

- If you see your Nemsis... RUN! If you see your Arch-Nemsis, simply log out and create a new area, as you are likely one frame away from death haven't even realized it yet! But, if you somehow manage to slay them, then....

- Chests now drop way better loot. (3x increased rarity)

- Priest recruits can no longer learn hardiness, true aim or champion. These buffs are all too valuable on NPCs and really needed to go. So, rip.

- Many files have had unchanged values removed to further version-proof the mod (even though it's a bit late on that) and make the mod smaller overall.

- Updated special rooms file to now increase spawn rate of various rooms that I hadn't included before. (Probably used assets001 file instead of assets004 originally, woops).

- Turned on the backpack being enchantable flag. Item slots are EXTREMELY valuable. So, having 20 more of them is a MAJOR change. And, the game was naturally balanced around this.

- Fixed my 'monster archetypes.gdb' file to be correct. Placed behavior data in a 'MyBehaviorData' file.

- Dimensional Gates reworked: Now have a base health value of '150%' versus old 200%'. They can now eat up to 20 corpses and gain 10% per corpse. This is an overall nerf, as they are fairly tanky objects I found during playtesting.

- Plenty of other minor tweaks like set+ items giving +1 modifier now, flat health on items being buffed some more, etc. etc. etc.

- Balanced many aspects of expansion to be more in line with theme of mod. (Lifestones rarer, invasion chance of new orbs much lower, bard being weaker, etc. etc.)

- Reduced chance to get infected by monsters by an extremely large amount. (10k% less likely in some cases). Plaguelord still has very high chance of infection.

----

edit: streamed a bit of the mod and explained some stuff for the interested: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/263642496
Just some bonus content. :S

Last edited by Destro* : 05-20-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 AM
Amateur

Thanks for your work on this mod!

Question RE: leveling a "might" associated with a spell.

How do I find out what the particular 'might' is that I need to level up to strengthen a spell?

For example, after leveling I tried to spread statpoints around to see an increase in the damage of Shadow Bolt, but didn't see one. Are these levels only granted upon hitting 100 in a particular stat, and thus that's where gear comes in to increase the damage?
Old 05-21-2018, 03:20 AM
Elite

Yeahhhhhh, that's something that I pretty quickly noticed during my play through. This information needs to get added to the skills to be made a bit more clear.

Basically, 'might' skills give you passive spell damage and a passive elemental damage bonus. Those are global bonuses. What isn't global, is the mana cost increase. Volcanic Might only increases the cost of your fire skills.

So, here is what happens in practice: if you get Volcanic Might, your ice spells become stronger without a mana cost increase because you get global spell damage with no mana cost increase on your ice spells. But, keep in mind that you don't get any ice damage % when you level up Volcanic Might, so you're missing out on a lot of multiplier damage (150% at level 50). This may seem overpowered, but truthfully this system is balanced by the opportunity cost of losing a hybrid class that is perhaps more aligned toward defenses (assuming that you are picking a class combination with multiple mights).

The more DPS oriented classes like Rouge and Wizard and have some tools in regards to defensive. But, they will never be as tanky as some of the more defensive class options out there, like their polar opposite Defender. They are meant to be powerful offensive classes with great utility, not tanks.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Destro* : 05-21-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:18 AM
Elite

Quick hotfix:

v2.0.1

* Created Venom Might. (Not sure how I missed this!)
* Added venom might to various sub-classes.
* Buffed poison arrow to be more inline with the mod.
* Removed Earth Link.
* Generously distributed some more spell mights to various sub-classes.
* Removed LegendaryItems.gdb. There are still some issues to work out before I can release it sadly.

This update requires a character wipe if you had Earth Link or any set/unique/legendary items that the mod generated.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Elite

v2.0.2

* Readded LegendaryItems.gdb

So, it took like 7 hours to get this file fixed. But, it was worth it.

Basically, I had to modify my script to generate unique/artifact/legendary items while adhering to the rules: Make sure that there are enough generated unique/artifact/legendary items to overwriting all existing unique/artifact/legendary items and additionally make sure that there is a unique/artifact/legendary item for every base item. While really simple to write, the algorithms used were fairly difficult to develop and implement. But, I did it! So, this feature is done!

Now, all items have a unique/artifact and legendary variant. And, vanilla versions won't appear. Yay! Really import component of the mod, which is why I put a ton of effort into it.

On a related note, I'll probably slow down on the hardcore patching now that the main big issues are smoothed out from the release and try to move to a weekly/bi-weekly schedule as I incorporate feedback (assuming any comes in) and fix/rebalance stuff.

Edit: Played a few times on twitch. So, feel free to check out this VoD to see some live gameplay if you're curious about the mod. Sound is loopy at the start, but I fix it pretty fast (after first minute). (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/264020231)

Last edited by Destro* : 05-21-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Amateur

Default Venom might

Does venom might scale poison aura from black guard?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:19 PM
Elite

@karmakomando Only the poison damage portion. The spell damage portions doesn't influence it's damage.

I'm still considering nerfing the base damage of the DoT spells and incoorperating DoT % into the various Mights (a bit of a power shift, if you will). But, I need to play test with DoT builds first before I do that. In any case, this change is likely to happen and I'll be doing it within the next 2 patches.

Last edited by Destro* : 05-22-2018 at 06:24 PM.