Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Amateur

It might be nice to not have your covenant placed in the same spot in town every time; either random placement like the other covenants, or be able to choose your starting spot.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Amateur

Just a couple of thoughts.

- I also like the idea of either gender for any character.
- I'd like to be able to pick my starting skill.
I have a mage that's specializing in fire and ice and I started a second mage to specialize in Lightening and Earth. They both do have the fire arrow when I would have preferred to start my other character with the first lightening or earth spell.
I think this would be useful for any character/class combination.
- I saw a post somewhere but I cannot locate it where someone said by the time you got a full set it was pretty much obsolete, maybe a way around this would be to have set items drop where the level and base stats would increase appropriately. (I mean like a "nimble axe" at level 2 would have a dmg of 1-5 and a "nimble axe# at level 20 would have a dmg of 3-20. The addition of the "nimble bonus wouldn't change") [I hope this makes sense, I don't watch to see how the dmg increases over the levels].
- definately would like to be able to mod each of my PC covenants to change the graphic instead of one default graphic.
- maybe it would be possible to add in some randomly generated stories behind some of the quests...this might be a big undertaking though.
(Edit) Add in better pathing for characters in the underground areas. I don't like having to click within a certain radius before my character will walk anywhere otherwise it's "Area is Blocked" or equivalent message.

Last edited by Celes : 03-25-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Expert

Some interesting stuff in there, I have a few ideas of my own but I think I'll refine them a bit more and share them when I feel they are worth it.

But there is one thing I'd still like to share if you plan to make an expansion: if you indeed add multiplayer please do not focus too much on it at the expense of single player.

I love Diablo and still play it from time to time. Or I did until I tried the Depths of Peril demo and now bought the full game. I played Diablo 2 a little bit, found it ok and liked the improvements but I always came back to Diablo. The reason? Diablo is a much more solid single player experience thanks to its list of quests and monster randomly chosen at the beginning of the game. The result is that you never know what you're gonna get when you roll a new character. Diablo 2 instead focused on multiplayer. On that aspect it is a nice game but it translated poorly into single player. The areas are too big for one person, you encounter the same quests every game, the same monsters at the same place with the same uniques... The only random elements are the map layouts and loot drops. It kills the replayability for single player.

I know some other people who, like me, enjoy that aspect of Diablo to be able to start and complete a game in a few hours but have it very different each time. I actually pointed them to Soldak's website and they checked the demo. From what I heard they liked it and may buy the full game. The reason they liked is the same as mine: it has the good parts of Diablo with random quests and random monsters and it is tailored for single player with small maps, and of course it has its own personnal strenghts, the covenant system being certainly the most obvious one.

So all this to say that: please do not focus entirely on multiplayer at the expense of solo mode. If enough people ask for it, it might be a good idea to bring it (and it also seem you started working on it before if I read things correctly) but other people, including me, bought the game because they just enjoy the single player experience.

Doing an expansion with mostly multiplayer additions and only a few single player changes wouldn't make me happy: I might not care for the multi and at the same time would feel like missing on features the expansion would bring but it wouldn't feel too good to pay for it and use only 1/4 of the content. My advice would then be that if you add multi you also make sure there is also a good deal of perfectly viable content for the solo mode. Or you can do an expansion that only adds multi and another one that is only focused on solo if it is at all possible, this is just an idea.

Anyway I'm pretty sure you also consider this, after all DoP in its current state is a single player game and the people who play it enjoy it as it is. Multi could add some interesting stuff but as I said I remembered the transition to Diablo 2 where the whole game was based on multi and not at all adapted for solo.

You made and delivered an excellent game so I have faith in you for the future. I just wanted to share my thoughts after reading many comments asking for multiplayer.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Amateur

Talking

I want...
  • A base for my covenant that I can upgrade \^_^/ maybe not a complete castle, but a nice customizable base of operations would be neat.
  • NPCs under my command, maybe a representative of the covenant in a city council, a professional guard for the base, maybe a scholar to unlock extra bonuses from the tomes you collect, a Beastmaster of your own to maximize the efficiency of your creatures etc. All trainable of course \^_^/
  • A "Collection tome" or something like that that stores information of all the items I've found and the possible magic modifiers, so you'll create a database of the items as you go along \^_^/ maybe even put in some item-forging or enchanting based on it.
  • To be able to send out people to go adventuring instead of having to lead everyone \^_^/ the current setting is too static for my personal taste, your covenant does nothing as long as you do nothing (except maybe raking in taxes and getting attacked). And I'm not sure but I think that enemy covenants can send all of their people away to adventure.
  • To have larger adventuring parties \^_^/ two man groups is fun... but four would be more realistic and more fun I'd say, it's odd to respawn on a boss three times and get glimpses of your covenant where all the others are just standing around picking their noses.
  • Insignificant NPCs in town, currently everyone has a purpose which gives the town a weird feel of abandonedness. Just having some families live there or something, with children running the streets, maybe that way I'll care more when the town is attacked too \^_^/
  • More (or rather, any) character customization in terms of looks \^_^/ ...that's probably wishful thinking because this isn't really that kind of game, it'd be neat though.
  • A pony \^_^/

Weeeh, wishlists are fun it's probably more wishful than most of the earlier posts, but still there's my list,

Douweeh.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Amateur

*Make the windows move able eg = when we open the skills/inventory/stats
windows , we can't move it around by clicking and dragging it
*Having/Catch pets/monsters that can help you attack monsters
*Allow an account to have more than 1 character
*Items can be stored in kapra/storage like other online games and can be
passed to other characters of the same account.
*Larger adventure parties
*More maps !
Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirium
-something useful for Rogue offhand (or did i miss something?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
No you haven't missed anything.
Dual wielding for the win!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Elite

• A better inventory management system, particularly between different characters. Also, the ability to move full bags around, or the entire contents of a bag.
  • The ability to drag windows. Sometimes when you have a lot open, its annoying not to be able to see the container you want.
  • As someone else suggested, ranged weapons would be an interesting addition.
  • More options to protect your lifestone and attack others. Raids often feel like a real grind, especially when convenants are nearly evenly matched.
  • An option to auto-identify, that will go through each unidentified item in your inventory and identy it. I was going to say just remove identify all together, but maybe this is a compromise? It just gets a little tedious identifying twenty items every time I return to my house.
  • Although I personally have no use for it, I think MP would be a fantastic addition to this game and help it appeal to many more people.
  • In addition to the stat and level bonuses that are given automatically, maybe some kind of perk system where you can select a bonus talent, similar to the other covenants and NPCs.

I only have so many suggestions because I have spent so much time playing this game. I really didn't think it would be this good when I bought it. Always a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Expert

Any merchant can auto identify everything for a small fee, that is the compromise WRT identifying things.

I'd like to be able to go into options and have the ability to automatically use skills that require a successful hit. I rarely use these skills because I'm too busy making sure I'm not dying to notice that I hit successfully.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberski View Post
Any merchant can auto identify everything for a small fee, that is the compromise WRT identifying things.
Really? I completely missed that feature! How is it done?

Also, what determines how long something takes to identify? I can't seem to see a pattern.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Amateur

MP
and Choose Start Skill (plz i think its easy, and u can add something to tutorial, or help)
i dont like my ice mage have a fire magic :P