Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative 2 > Drox Operative 2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2020, 11:39 PM
Amateur

Default Attempting minor modding, planet visibility

Im looking at creating a somewhat simple mod with the intent to make planets and gates always visible on, ideally the system map.

My initial attempt here was to look at stars. As far as I can tell, the game will always show stars, including black holes, in the system map. This is great, I dont have to find them. Unfortunately, I cant actually figure out *why* stars are always visible, from looking at the StarTypes or the StarArchetypes files.

They are marked "StoreInWorldMap 1" which I assume is relating to them always being shown once found, but planets also have that value. They have a light intensity, but adding the same light intensity to planets does not appear to make them visible.

I found another option, potentially adding the alwaysvisibleonradar stat to planets... Now, this is where it got a bit odd. This works in drox 1, well, almost. It shows things on the minimap, which is almost good enough. Why doesnt this work in drox 2? not sure?

Its possible I am messing up my mod format, but based on the examples it seems accurate. (tldr, mod.zip with folders Database/Monsters/mod_planetarchtypes.gdb, containing the lines NewBasePlanetArchetype overrides BasePlanetArchetype and some stuff?) I have no clue if this sort of modding is even working yet either.

I noticed that in an earlier set of patch notes (.801), a change was made to make planets and gates more visible on radar. I do not feel this worked, and I cannot find anything in the files that suggests this was done so I can make it more pronounced.

Anyway, tldr - Are modding tools currently working in drox 2? If not, not a huge deal, I am just working with assumptions due to the structure looking very similar to drox 1.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Modding should work fine. The thing I changed regarding planets showing up on your minimap is the values BaseRadarForPlanets and MaxRadarForPlanets in systems.gdb.
Patreon
Old 09-24-2020, 04:14 PM
Amateur

Ah! Perfect, thanks. I dont know why I didnt look in systems, I had figured it would be something strictly planet stat related, and thus in the monster files somewhere.

Ive personally edited the values to 1500-6500, the idea being that if I have invested enough to get 100% radar range, I should probably be able to see a fairly large amount of the map. This does mean that with max radar range, I can sit inside of the star to see all of the stellar bodies. I have also edited baseobjectgate to have storeinworldmap 1, because it seems odd that it did not previously. (Known issue - hidden gates that lead to secrets are shown on the map)

Im open to comments on balance on this, but my personal goal was mostly - I spend too much time feeling like I am flying around in circles looking for planets/gates, especially trying to find that last race that is hidden away somewhere. Id like to not do that, and this puts more of a value on a stat I rarely use anyway, given that direct-fire weapons do not actually seem to care about attack that much. (honestly, this part should be changed imo, a 'graze' type hit that does half/min damage if you dont meet attack vs defense roll on a manual aim weapon?)

Is it possible to make radar range obvious? its currently hard to tell what distances actually mean. If the minimap gave a better indication of what was within radar range at some point (a different fog of war layer perhaps?) this could be less of an issue overall, giving greater knowledge and thus control about searching around systems.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mod_planetradar.zip (444 Bytes, 2 views)