Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Champion

Melee takes too much durability damage. I'm pretty sure I never repaired once on my conjurer build, but on my defender build at level 22, I was collecting greys to try and skew my recycling towards armour scraps and at some points I actually ran out. As soon as you add acid pools into the mix, it gets worse.

I'm in favour of removing repair cost altogether, but keeping the cool upgrade/enchant system. I'd also like acid to only do damage while you stand in it.

Oh and Block doesn't trigger Riposte, which doesn't make sense to me from a gameplay perspective (it would be nice to have a guaranteed Riposte trigger) or from a logic perspective (the skill is called Block and increases your Block chance).

Last edited by Throwback : 11-03-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:48 AM
Amateur

i'd like to see crafting related skill on some class. for example weaponmaster could have a possibility that they have a better chance to craft a additional proc on the weapon if they are investing a point into blacksmith skill. and spell caster class also have similar skill that they have a chance to add another magic effect on crafting weapon and armor.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Elite

I have not had any characters over level 40, but I have never had to repair anything, except to improve it, at least after the first few levels. Yes, on melee characters.

Of course, I dump ungodly amounts of grindstones and scrap on improving my gear each level, but apart from those good items, I have not wasted one single scrap on anything, in quite a while. Of course, by playing hardcore, I am a lot more averse to taking any damage than those who have more than one life.

In my experience, melee characters have only one problem - eventually, they get cornered in a spot they cannot leave, and that spot somehow ends up with INSANE continuous damage, which eats through their hit points in a second or two.

But monsters? Bosses may roll some tricky abilities - all other monsters fall in two categories: easy pickings, and environment modifying, death dealing ones, like the bomb throwers, fire breathers, poison spawners, etc.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuidjy View Post
I have not had any characters over level 40, but I have never had to repair anything, except to improve it, at least after the first few levels. Yes, on melee characters.

Of course, I dump ungodly amounts of grindstones and scrap on improving my gear each level, but apart from those good items, I have not wasted one single scrap on anything, in quite a while. Of course, by playing hardcore, I am a lot more averse to taking any damage than those who have more than one life.
That's insane! How are you doing it? Do you build for as high damage as possible so everything dies in one hit?

I don't feel I've gotten to a high enough level to be improving my gear.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Elite

I try to get multiple multipliers on my damage.

For example, weapon damage, for a plain old warrior can be increased by:
- increasing strength
- improving a sword with a high damage bonus (80+) and an ego bonus (25%)
- raising sword mastery, arms mastery
- using a highly improved whirlwind
- adding extra damage with the gladiator skill, whatever it is called
- using an acid/fire flask, whenever the situation demands it
- keeping buffing clan members aside for anyone else, and visiting them before bosses

For defense, you have:
- increasing dexterity
- parry from sword master
- parry and block from the defender skills
- possibly a shield

So normal monsters in the 1-24 and 25-50 range seem to present no problem. Unfortunately, environmental damage can't be killed, or defended against, and resistances are a sad joke. So all of my non-teleporting characters eventually end up roasting or chocking on a spot they can't leave.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuidjy View Post
- improving a sword with a high damage bonus (80+) and an ego bonus (25%)
This might solve a lot of my issues. Thanks for the tip!

And I agree, I've had massive trouble getting resists.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Expert

Edit: Added in Druid tree, overall class "review", and changed first paragraph

Here it is, my overall "review" of the Ranger class, first broken down tree by tree and skill by skill. This is just my opinion on things, and I encourage others to comment on how they disagree. After all, maybe you know something I don't and can give valuable insight. I hope this will be of some use, if not for changing skills, at least for people looking for "review" of the Ranger class.

Archer tree
  • Flaming Arrow

This skill is pretty much the first go-to combat spell. It doesn't cost a lot, its damage seems well balanced, and its not high on mana cost. I'd say this skill should stay untouched as its not overpowered unless you pour tons of points into it and invest in both Spirit and Intelligence.
  • Poison Arrow

At first glance I thought this skill would be useless. I mean its a weak shot and does eh damage per second for 8 seconds. That was until I realized how strong it gets each additional level. For not many points, you have have a shot that does a lot of damage and inflicts really high poison DPS. It almost seems too good, however on higher difficulty settings closer to the player's level, it balances out well.
  • Shock Bolt

Not much to say on this one, its basically a higher cost Flaming Arrow that can stun people. It looks like it might be better than Flaming Arrow at first, but the increased cost means you could have two Flaming Arrows for the same cost as one Shock Bolt. I'd say that's enough to keep them balanced granted that the stun rate is like 1 out of 5.
  • Eagle Eye

I'm not very fond of this one. Its a passive so it doesn't hurt to throw down a few points into it, but the low attack and crit hit bonus just doesn't justify putting more than several levels into it. Perhaps an idea would be that after every few points put into it, it then starts to increase by a higher value to coincide with the increasing enemy levels and skill costs. That or change it to a percent modifier instead of a raw value, and increase the crit hit bonus a little.
  • Multishot

I'd say this one is just as good as the other arrow skills. Its got decent damage, shoots three projectiles, and costs more than the others. Not much else to say on it.
  • Bow Mastery

Ahh, Bow Mastery. This is pretty much the go-to passive. Decent cost, decent damage boost that actually helps more in higher levels than lower ones. Can't think of any changes that should be made, other than maybe investing into it grants a really small static attack speed boost that doesn't get bigger with more levels. That way leveling it higher doesn't break attack speeds but getting at least one level helps. However that's not a needed feature, it'd just be an interesting one.
  • Dodge

Ugh, Dodge... I hate this one. I mean just like Eagle Eye it doesn't hurt to grab a few levels in it, but unless you pour tons into it then its not useful at all in later levels. The only thing that makes it not as bad as Eagle Eye is that it at least grants you two bonuses rather than just one and a barely noticeable crit hit bonus. I tend to avoid it if possible.
  • Projectile Mastery

This one isn't bad and it goes well with the Bow Mastery I feel. It helps to have stronger projectiles and faster ones for when you really need them, but exactly how useful it is, is hard for me to really pin down. Seems fine though.
  • Exploding Arrow

I wasn't able to see much use in this one. The explosion radius feels too small and because it uses flat numbers it isn't worth investing in long term.
  • Marked for Death

I completely avoid this one. Its just a static debuff and I'd rather use the points in other skills instead of risk taking damage just to set up a small debuff. Its ok to snag in low levels for boss help, but ditch it quickly. High cost, distracts you from staying focused on DPS, and does a borderline useless static debuff. The only way I can see this working is if it was one of your main skills and that you mainly ran a support Archer tree.

Hunter tree
  • Serrated Arrow

What's not to love about this one? Decent damage, a good crit hit bonus, and deep wounds all rolled into one low cost skill. Definitely the go-to attack skill.
  • Light Touch

I simply love this skill. Its useful to escape enemies or move around unnoticed so you can get ready for combat in advance. Its low cost makes it worth it, but after a certain threshold its best to save the points for other skills.
  • Immolation Trap

I was skeptical at first given that its a static damage skill, however it seems to actually work out well. Its my first time using traps and they definitely seem like they are useful, though I can imagine like all traps that they stop being as useful in really high levels.
  • Freezing Trap

If the static damage thing is a problem, this one gets around it by being useful for slowing enemies down and making them attack slower. Definitely worth snagging at least one.
  • Net Trap

Wow. That's really all that needs to be said about this amazing trap. Its great for any ranged builds because it stops enemies in their tracks. It also has decent cooldown time so you can set it up again by the time it wears off. Might actually need a real slight increase in cooldown so it can't be as easily abused, but its definitely an amazing skill.
  • Trap Mastery

I'm not so sure about this one. The trap disarm is definitely useless at later levels, as is the perception it seems. That said though, the increase to trap damage is amazing as well as the mana cost reduction. I'd say it definitely balances out the fact that the traps have static values, especially at its low cost.
  • Cooking

Now I love the idea behind this skill, but it doesn't seem like it actually works good. Increasing it never seems to actually increase my chances for finding food. Probably needs a serious increase.
  • Infused Energy

This skill is very interesting and allows the Hunter to focus less on points in Intelligence and Spirit and use more on Vitality. Its a go-to if you're running a more magic based ranged built.
  • Split Projectiles

I love this passive. It gives you extra projectiles and there doesn't seem to be any real negative aspects to it.
  • Lure

Not a bad skill, its easy to keep it high enough to be effective if its one you want to use and it seems to work good. I think its reuse time and how long its effective for could use some work though, because as it stands its not quite good enough to justify the cost but close enough you can make it work.

Druid tree
  • Weakness

Now this is how I think debuffs should be done. Its cheap, effective, and doesn't seem to get worse at higher levels.
  • Earth Link

Its an alright passive. Gives a fair amount of health for lower levels but in the long run the point cost wouldn't justify the health gain. The poison resistance looks good, and the added zombie resistance is great.
  • Nature's Revenge

Not really my cup of tea, but it seems fair when it comes to its cheap cost. Probably not very good at higher levels.
  • Earth Mastery

A pretty good mastery, like all the others seem to be. Its damage increase and mana reduction definitely balances out with Nature's Revenge and will surely keep it relevant in later levels.
  • Barkskin

Whereas many skills that give static boosts tend to have some slight issues, this one's already decent value that goes +40 armor each level makes it hold up throughout the levels. I'd say it works out pretty good.
  • Mana Regen

Here's another skill with static values that works out well I feel. The mana regen it grants combined with its base cost makes it a good investment for several levels, and even if you don't put it past that much it stays useful.
  • Strength of Stone

Wow. This is the second skill so far I've come across that made me say this. A +10 Strength boost every level with a cooldown that matches its duration? That makes this skill amazing even if you only invest a single point in it.
  • Persistence

The Druid tree seems to have a lot of pretty amazing features. This is another one of them. It can be costly to make a lot of use out of it, but it seems worth it to me given that it boosts how long status effects last. It makes the already amazing Strength of Stone even better.
  • Stalker

The Stalker skill... Aside from letting you live out the fantasy of playing as a Stalker, it gives some decent boosts. Its worth snagging just one for the increased movement speed and attack speed. Throw in the bonuses to crit hit, deep wounds, attack speed, and defense and you get a great skill should you choose to utilize it. The only drawback is that you can't use skills with it, so apply buffs before use.
  • Earthquake

Not bad damage for its AoE range and cost. Thanks to Earth Mastery it'll stay relevant in later levels. It could probably really be abused due to its low mana cost, decent damage, acceptable skill cost, and use time. It would probably be best to slow down to 1 second or 1.25 seconds instead of the 0.75 its at. Other than that, great AoE skill.

Ranger Overall
Overall the Ranger class is stable and has many ways to play it. Outside of a select few skills, nothing really needs worked on. Even the skills that fall short usually have a passive in the same tree to help fix that, or can use a passive from another tree to help as is the case with Exploding Arrow (Archer) and Split Projectiles (Hunter).
The ones that fall short are as follows:

Eagle Eye (Archer)
Dodge (Archer)
Marked for Death (Archer)
Cooking (Hunter)

Last edited by DanSota : 11-05-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSota View Post
Alright, I finally put together my opinions on the Archer skill tree.
I agree that Flaming Arrow is the go-to skill. I use that along with Split Projectiles in the Hunter tree and lots of Extra Projectile enchanted gear makes it more awesome.

I disagree about Exploding Arrow's usefulness though -- it's pretty good for AoE, especially with Extra Projectiles and/or +Fire Damage and/or +Explosion Radius. I do agree that it's flat numbers aren't ideal, but I find it useful for bunched up enemies.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrObot View Post
I agree that Flaming Arrow is the go-to skill. I use that along with Split Projectiles in the Hunter tree and lots of Extra Projectile enchanted gear makes it more awesome.

I disagree about Exploding Arrow's usefulness though -- it's pretty good for AoE, especially with Extra Projectiles and/or +Fire Damage and/or +Explosion Radius. I do agree that it's flat numbers aren't ideal, but I find it useful for bunched up enemies.
You might be right, because I'm doing them one tree at a time. When I get to my overall class review I'll mention things like that. I'm also going through and looking at them one at a time, so at first I might think something isn't useful but a later skill may fix that in the grand scheme of things.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 PM
Amateur

Got to level 100 in my hybrid Sorcerer / Magician character (non-hardcore).

My Modus Operandi for this character was build up lightning blast, and kill everything at range. Had a decent challenge, until I got relevant equipment multipliers, which may have been added by a patch while I was working through the game. When I hit level 75, I set my next area to level 100. I only had to switch out my magic find gear for mana-regen/spell-damage/cast-time-reduction bonuses to be able to take down entire clans in a raiding party of one.

Sorcerer
  • Lightning Blast
    Instant hit, high damage for a top row spell. Out of Wizard and Conjurer classes, this seems to be the best low level spam cast that scales to high levels.
  • Chain Lightning
    Didn't use, has longer cast time and less damage. Seems more effective to just cast lightning blast multiple times
  • Lightning Mastery
    Second skill point dump for damage. Very nice. Would the +%Critical Hit need to be +%Magic Critical Hit for it to work with Lightning Blast?
  • Thunderbolt
    Tried it out instead of Lightning Blast once, the 10% stun is a nice idea, but only useful if you're lucky and until you get your damage up enough so nothing survives the first hit. Might be better as passive giving stun to lightning skills, or giving Magic Critical Hits stun.
  • Residual Energy
    Nice for indicating stealthed enemies with sound and visual effects and an extra damage source to boot.
  • Gaseous Form
    Duration starts at 5 seconds, and gives 50 of most resistances per level plus 1 second duration plus stamina recharge. I completely passed this over, but can see the appeal. Adding movement buff and physical resistance might be good.
  • Stored Lightning
    Tried it out, couldn't tell if it was ready to used or not half the time. Particularly not during a fight. Could be better as a straight up "restores mana by calling a lightning bolt down on yourself, and generates mana when enemies hit you with lightning damage spells"
  • Ball Lightning
    When an enemy NPC uses this, I am relieved of any worry that damage will occur.
  • Tornado
    Never worth upgrading, but is the go-to skill when the proverbial fan is hit or summoner spam. Really not sure what part the 1.1 second duration listed is for.
  • Lightning Swarm
    Didn't try using.

I'd replace Ball Lightning with a Lightning Tower summon, and change Stored Lightning to be less fiddly.

Magician
  • Blinding Flash
    Tried it, but effect is scaled to level so I reclaimed the points
  • Arcane Blast
    Low damage projectile does non-elemental damage.
  • Elemental Harmony
    At max level, elemental harmony is "+50 Percent". I'm guessing this means 50% of my non-basic attack elemental damage is divided among all the elements. Does this happen before, say, a +% lightning damage increase happens with Lightning Blast, or after?
  • Magic Shield
    I was hoping this would take effect before Mana Shield, but that is not the case, relegating its utility to before mana shield is available.
  • Evasion
  • Deep Thought
    Perfect and Essential
  • Teleport
    The upgrades to reduce cooldown is perfect.
  • Arcane Drain
    Didn't use.
  • Arcane Focus
    For its short duration, it should probably cost fewer skill points initially.
  • Arcane Swarm
    I am tempted to make another char built around this.

Change Magic Shield to take damage before Mana Shield. Or any skill that produces a barrier against contact could protect against zombie infection, perhaps?

Balance:
I think +%SpellDamage and -%CastTime modifiers may need to be reined in. Perhaps -%CastTime could result in a corresponding multiplier for mana usage. +%SpellDamage modifiers may need to be halved and have minor mana usage increase. Another method of balancing could be reducing which slot-types can get those modifiers.

Although having opposing clans have their members group together to attack invaders would probably help as well

It would help if when a skill is on the hotbar for damage range and cast time that results from passives and equipment modifiers to be shown instead of the skill's base stats.

Last edited by Nesmo : 11-06-2015 at 02:28 AM.