Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2017, 02:53 PM
Amateur

Default Summoning the other Drox operatives: Leveling a human ship

So here's how I play - I level up a ship, start to struggle, read guides and forum posts with contradictory advice on how to build ships, and then give up and start over or take a break from Drox Operative for a while. But I really want to hit 100 and I want to try it with a few different species and I need your help. I thought maybe if I started a thread about it I would actually follow through and hit 100, and you guys can help me tweak and build as I go.

Here's what I want to do: I want to level a human ship to 100, and I want to play to its strengths so mainly putting points into Tactical and Computers. Any guidance or advice as I start this up? I figure I can check in periodically with my progress and what build/components I'm using and you guys can help steer me along.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Amateur

Here I am at level 5. Mostly just making do with what I could find in terms of gear. In terms of stats I'm going for an even spread. Since I don't have much in the way of crew I was hoping this would keep me from outpacing my energy/power.

By level 10 I've managed to get some crew together. My hive crewman is a mechanic so I'm hoping he'll give me a good boost to structure in the long-term. The rest are cortex for the engineer boost. I came by more human and a shadow crewman but I don't have a lot of need for the tactical/computer boost right now, especially since I intend to dump points into them later. I'm starting to run in trouble in longer battles with my energy so I just use boosters. I could slot a battery recharger but I've been more concerned with leveling my crew. and it hasn't been a huge issue. Next level I intend to take Command 11 and my next ship upgrade.

Any suggestions or feedback so far?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 AM
Amateur

In addition to my general tips I posted in another thread recently there are a few points I can recommend based on your current ship.

First, human's primary stat is tactical with a secondary in computers. This is good as tactics is a very good primary stat (it also means anytime you upgrade a ship via command your tactical increases slightly too). Unfortunately the attack bonus from having a lot computers skill isn't very large so most of your attack rating will come from computer components instead. My recommendation for your stat spread is the same as in the other thread, put stats where you need them, don't worry too much about upgrading immediately to the next best piece of gear, as that is how you run into energy and power starvation.
Your racial slots are also pretty good. The light computer slot helps keep your accuracy and defense up when you are having severe item crunch (when you cannot get everything you want/need to make your ship function optimally). The mines are also fairly powerful, though severely energy draining if you use them a lot. When using them, keep a few things in mind.
1.) Mines drain energy fast, use them sparingly.
2.) Unless you get one with a lot of +dmg mods, Mines stop one shotting most ships pretty early. They are good at spreading a lot of damage around so that you can finish things off with your laser, they aren't great at killing a lot of things fasts (exceptions go to fighters such as the ones that spawn from tides and harbingers) so don't bite off more than you can chew.
3.) They are excellent missile defenses if you maneuver right. A single mine can clear most if not all of the missiles following you as long as they aren't right behind you.
For continuing the build you are doing I'd recommend going to command 11 (as you suggested), and then periodically putting points into command so that you can slowly upgrade your ship as you level. After you play a while you'll get the hang of when you can generalize stats and when you need to dump them into command because you need another critical equipment slot.
One piece of equipment I'd recommend picking up is the super structure component. When I first started playing Drox I looked at them and thought they were worthless, as why would I want to have a large boost of structure when being hit with structure exposed with just break all of my items? In actual practice these things are a life saver. My death rate significantly dropped after using them. They are a huge boost to your survival and most importantly does not have a power cost associated with it so it makes your ship that much more efficient too.
Limited energy is something you'll be fighting a lot in this game, especially in the early stages. One way to fight this is to only use one weapon at a time. I've had successful ship builds that only had a virus weapon into the 20's (btw if you can find them, virus weapons are great, probably one of the better weapons in the game and they are a medium slot to boot, allowing you a heavy slot for power or heavy armor). Having energy regenerating equipment and consumables help too. Eventually you'll find items called leechers that restore energy any time your hit an enemy with an attack. By using several of these you'll basically have infinite energy as long as you don't consecutively miss. This strategy doesn't work out quite so well against race ships which have sky high defense though. Also if you ever have accuracy problems, pick up a radar equipment. Radar increases your detection range and while enemies are within your radar you attack score is substantially increased.

In general to not die in this game you'll want to learn what every enemy does and how to counter them. Some groups of enemies will absolutely devastate you if you approach them wrong. Fortunately most of these can be accounted for by maneuvering rather than by raw stats or equipment.
Like I said in the other thread, you can quite easily juke ballistic weapons as the AI fires where you were heading at the time the shot is fired. Fly erratically (especially around nematos) and keep your distance and they will have a hard time hitting you.
Missiles and weapon pods (such as the ones used by peacekeepers) can be manually shot down, but this is often energy inefficient in a game with sever energy starvation. Fortunately you have mines which while expensive is a one time energy drop that destroys a lot of missiles. Also of use is the missle defense slots (starts as a racial slot for hive and their subrace, but it becomes available for everyone else to use in a regular medium slot at around level 10) which automatically attempt to shoot down missiles that you scroll your cursor over. I didn't appreciate these things until I played a hive ship and now most of my non stealth builds tries to cram one in.
Lasers do less damage over distance so keeping your distance from these enemies reduces your incoming damage.
In keeping with know your enemies you have to be careful of several powerful combos of enemies out there. The baylisa and leishima in particular cut your mobility potentially making you easy targets for other nearby enemies. I've lost several hard core ships to being immobilized by a leishima and ganged up on by a half dozen patchworks.
Some enemies hit really hard, either over several attacks or in one large one. Ones to look out for are Quakes' radiation bomb, Wreckers' launched mines, patchwork's flamethrower, acasnths' placed mines, and nematos' ballistic barrage. If you cannot (or choose not to) avoid these attacks they will wreck you fast no matter how strong your defenses are.

There are also enemies that support other nearby enemies and these can be frustrating if there are a lot nearby super charging a boss. In sectors with a lot of talon hyde healers can be really annoying, and if there are a bunch grouped together it can take a lot of effort to even kill one. As mentioned above Baylissas and leishimas cut your mobility down to make you easier to hit for other enemies. Venoms drop your stats via viruses, just making your ship worse in general.
It's usually a good idea to cut out the support ships before going for the others.

I apologize for the giant text brick, I'll edit it later when I have more time.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Amateur

Thanks for the detailed response, Razuli. I've made some progress since my last post and was level 19 when you responded so I haven't had a lot of time to make changes based on your feedback, but here's where I was at with level 15:

And here's where I ended up at level 20:

I'm currently working on getting my next ship upgrade. My stat spread is still evenly distributed and I haven't had any problems slotting any upgrades that I've needed. Also, based on your recommendation of slotting a reinforced bulkhead I'm experimenting with switching over to armor/structure regen and components to see how that plays out.

I'm also keeping an eye out for virus weapons, though I think I've only had one drop for the entire game. I might need to see if I can buy one somewhere. Energy limitations are a problem for me, especially since I've been focusing on leveling crew instead of slotting any light components (I just found a +5 battery recharger that's extremely tempting).

And I hear you on mines. I wasn't sure of them at first but I have learned to love them. There is not much more satisfying than dropping one in the middle of a swarm of ships and getting 10 +exp notifications when it goes off. But you're right, that happens off and on and only when I've just gotten a substantial mine upgrade and only lasts for a few levels.

Thanks again! I'm going to work on this as I develop through level 30!