Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Kivi's Underworld Open Beta
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2008, 07:52 AM
DogBoy DogBoy is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
Default Kill Bonus + more

Great game. An RPG with a "casual" feel to it.

One definite problem - the score bonus you get for killing all monsters seems to include monsters in secret areas. That means it's parasitic on the bonus you get for finding all secrets. It's almost like "find all secrets, get 50% score bonus" instead of two separate bonuses. Which is maddening when you have found nearly all the secrets on a large level.

I think it would be more enoyable if the "kill all monsters" bonus applied when you kill all non-secret monsters. I know this is harder to code, but it would mean all 3 score bonuses were completely independent.

In the beta, there don't seem to be any time-based awards or quests, e.g. "complete this level in under 5 minutes". Might these be fun to include?

Also, I agree with a previous poster that the point bonuses for multiple kills are too dependent on explosion attacks. I'm not sure how to get around this, except possibly to keep track of what sort of hit killed a monster, and make the area-of-effect attacks not count towards the multiple kill bonuses.

One annoying feature was the way CTRL-click almost, but not quite, allows your character to attack while staying in the same place. This would be really useful when fighting near traps.

It would change the gameplay significantly, but it might make sense to have the character auto-attack the selected monster if it is next to him/her (or if he/she has a main ranged weapon), perhaps after a short pause (to make active mouse management a slightly better tactic). That would alleviate carpal-tunnel-inducing mouse button antics. If no monster is selected, being attacked could auto-select that monster. Of course, that would make the game even easier than it is now and some re-balancing would have to take place.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
One definite problem - the score bonus you get for killing all monsters seems to include monsters in secret areas. That means it's parasitic on the bonus you get for finding all secrets. It's almost like "find all secrets, get 50% score bonus" instead of two separate bonuses. Which is maddening when you have found nearly all the secrets on a large level.

I think it would be more enoyable if the "kill all monsters" bonus applied when you kill all non-secret monsters. I know this is harder to code, but it would mean all 3 score bonuses were completely independent.
We are fixing this for the demo and full game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
In the beta, there don't seem to be any time-based awards or quests, e.g. "complete this level in under 5 minutes". Might these be fun to include?
We did have some time based stuff in the game, but it was making people rush too much. I have gone back and made all of the time stuff work though, so people can create user adventures that have timed adventures that modifies your score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
One annoying feature was the way CTRL-click almost, but not quite, allows your character to attack while staying in the same place. This would be really useful when fighting near traps.
What doesn't work about it?
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, & Din's Legacy
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
DogBoy DogBoy is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

What doesn't work about it?
Well, when I hold down CTRL I'd ideally like it to freeze my character in place, and attack any monsters I click on within range. Instead what it does is freeze my character in place *unless I click on a monster*. If I CTRL-click on an out-of-range monster with Kivi, he starts walking towards the monster instead of waiting for it to come to him.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Logorouge's Avatar
Logorouge Logorouge is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 33
Post

Quote:
We did have some time based stuff in the game, but it was making people rush too much. I have gone back and made all of the time stuff work though, so people can create user adventures that have timed adventures that modifies your score.
It would be fun to have some "Time Challenge" where we would challenge for the fastest time record in each mission. I do agree that this would make people rush through the game, which is bad. But I think I have some solutions for this problem:

-Make the Time challenges only available after the player complete the story. This way, the first time you play the game, you take your time and enjoy the story.

-Instead of Award Trophies, winning a time challenge could award a medal. So you don't have to modify the Award section.
(If its easy to add, a Speed Demon Award for winning all time challenges would be pretty nice too.)
__________________
It's rouge, not rogue!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.