Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine Fox View Post
I ran for about two hours yesterday and didn't notice any slowdowns. Either the bug is fixed in the latest patch, or I haven't encountered the situation yet. I'll keep looking.
I've an old save where we can easily detect the drop frame.
If you want I can upload it to you.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Elite

He's right, the situation seems to have gotten a bit better since 0.907, although I haven't played any larger sectors since then. The game still stutters occasionally during large battles, though.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Champion

I also see low framerates when a lot of ships are on screen in a major war. I'm talking about probably 20 ships or more.

I'm running a decent system currently, quad core Phenom II 3.1ghz with an ATI Radeon 5850 and 12 GB ram. Hoping to upgrade this year though.

I hadn't experienced any lag before either, but then again I hadn't seen that many ships on screen before either.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Expert

Yesterday it become again, unplayable for me.
The things are worst when you have two stronger species with a lot of spacecrafts.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Paulus View Post
Yesterday it become again, unplayable for me.
The things are worst when you have two stronger species with a lot of spacecrafts.
Just ran into my first slowdown in this type of scenario. With 3-4 planets on screen and each planet with their own sizeable defensive fleet, the frame rate is getting a little uneven. Add in a monster attack or race planet raid and its gets worse (not to mention you can barely tell what is going on). Still definitely playable, but I imagine it would not be on a machine closer to the recommended specification. I am using a 3750k at 4GHz, with an ATI 6950 and 8GB of RAM.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
I am using a 3750k at 4GHz, with an ATI 6950 and 8GB of RAM.

You've the double of the cores working almost at the double clock speed than I.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Elite

Quote:

You've the double of the cores working almost at the double clock speed than I.
Yeah, and I am still getting a few performance issues...

Some sectors are crazy; like 20-30 destroyers on the screen at once, all firing at each other. It looks awesome, but performance is terrible and if they were firing at you it would be over in about three seconds. Ship population is too high perhaps?

I have also found that when large formations of ships use stargates, the game stutters and the gate seems to get "stuck on" playing the animation and sound loop for five or six seconds.

EDIT: Just had a gate stuck on continuously for over thirty seconds as ships just kept coming in and out. The noise was horrendous...

Last edited by ShaggyMoose : 07-11-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
I have also found that when large formations of ships use stargates, the game stutters and the gate seems to get "stuck on" playing the animation and sound loop for five or six seconds.
I've notice that too.
I too notice that when I quit the game, and run it after, the stutter seems to be less.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Champion

Quote:
I've notice that too.
I too notice that when I quit the game, and run it after, the stutter seems to be less.
Yeah, me too, but I've mostly attributed that to I/O issues, rather than CPU issues. I have a Core i7-3820 running at 3.9 GHz atm so that shouldn't be a big problem.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Champion

Courtesy of a cloaking device I've noticed a bizarre phenomenon happening around starlanes and wormholes that two rival factions use to launch attacks from. It was particularly evident when multiple travel lanes merged several systems together and were in extremely close proximity of one another.

What will happen is that as the two fleets meet near one of these transition points, the ships will hop in and out of them over and over again. Sometimes there were yet more enemy ships in the system the lanes lead to but not always. It dragged out the battle obviously, causing more and more ships to pile up at these travel lanes.

Needless to say it was...quite a sight watching fleets (literally, as in many dozens worth on either side) slugging it out. Titans and Flagships galore.

I'm wondering if perhaps the ships are being given conflicting commands in sequence, and that's causing a logic loop. "Attack this planet, destroy the enemy, wait no, attack this planet, argh destroy the enemy! Wait...no, attack this planet" over and over and over again.