Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Elite

Default Trouble switching missiles

I'm playing a brunt ship and my race-specific item is a missile launcher. I found a better launcher and swapped out the old one. I did not get a new icon in the hot bar. When I pushed the hotkey, the old launcher swapped back in, waited for the timer, then started firing.

This happened until I got rid of the old launcher. Then the hotkey turned red and an icon appeared for the new launcher.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:53 AM
Elite

This is an existing issue and not related to the race-specific slot. If you replace a weapon, I really think that the hotbar slots should get replaced automatically as well. (And I say slots in plural because I don't use the "1" key, so I end up with the same weapon on both "1" and "2".)

I can't think of any situation where I'd want the current functionality to happen on purpose.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Expert

Lack of available slots. If you have a low command skill, you probably don't have all the slots in the world to be playing around with. However, you can still get a lot of versatility with this functionality, albeit with the installation delay. Take escape pods, for example. They're basically a waste of a slot 99% of the time, but if you simply hit the hotkey when things get really hairy, you can still get the functionality desired without "wasting" a slot. The biggest problem I have with it is the cooldown is not properly represented when you reinstall an item, so it shows absolutely no indication of when the component will be ready for use again (this is especially a problem with items that have long cooldowns like lightning fields). I've also encountered a few issues where the item simply never becomes usable again until I quit and reload my game.

Last edited by fluffybot : 07-21-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Elite

Looks like I need to clarify.

Usually when I swap out a weapon that isn't my main weapon ("1"), the old weapon/number turns red and an icon for the new weapon appears in the next empty number. Then I move the weapon icon from the new number to the old number and go on my way.

In this particular case, the old number did not turn red and I didn't get a new weapon icon in an empty number (and there were some). Since this is what happens when I replace the main weapon ("1"), I assumed that it was doing the same thing for "3".

I was wrong. "3" pointed to the old weapon. The new weapon was installed, but I had no way to fire it. So when I clicked "3", it took the old weapon out of inventory and put it back into the weapon slot.

I had no way to fire the new weapon until I sold the old weapon. At that point, the old number turned red and a new weapon icon appeared in the next empty slot.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Champion

The game doesn't know if you want to keep the old weapon on hotkey. Perhaps in certain situations you'd want to press that button to have that launcher installed instead of your current one, for instance.

In order to be able to fire new weapons like that, you can drag and drop the weapon from your ships equipped items to a slot on your action bar. You can also drag the old weapons icon off your action bar and delete it so that it can be replaced by the new weapon's icon. This is how it has worked my anyway.