Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Elite

Default Strategy Discussion: Shields or Armor?

Which do you use to keep your ship alive, and why?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
Which do you use to keep your ship alive, and why?
I use both just because psychologically it seems 'right', but I'm guessing that shields aren't very useful since they recharge so slowly, and I can probably drop them.

I can't imagine surviving very long without armor, given the weakness of shields.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Elite

My high level Drakk ship (Tactical/Engineering focused), which I haven't played in a while, used both so I could alternate between shield and nanite recovery in tough situations.

I made a Lithosoid ship that got +700 armor pretty early on, but now it takes forever to recharge without a friendly planet. Since abandoning that ship, though, I've discovered you can swap out damaged armors for full ones, so I may wind up just filling my cargo hold and diving back in.

Other than that, I use shields, because heck, I already have to invest a ton of points in Engineering, and shield rechargers are cheaper. Plus shields recharge instantly after a Self-Destruct, unlike armor. Haven't gotten a shield-only character to high level yet.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Champion

I used to use both, but generally stick to shields only because I ignore the structure stat and have high engineering. Shield regen is a serious problem, though. I would like to see a 'shutdown' mode where you get a heavy penalty to movement and are unable to fire weapons, but you get a massive shield regen boost. The mode would last for a set period of time. If an enemy fleet happens to spot you just as you flick that switch, you're boned.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
I made a Lithosoid ship that got +700 armor pretty early on, but now it takes forever to recharge without a friendly planet. Since abandoning that ship, though, I've discovered you can swap out damaged armors for full ones, so I may wind up just filling my cargo hold and diving back in.
Perhaps armor plates (and perhaps other components?) should require that you be at a planet/dock in order to replace. Seems kind of odd to me to be rebuilding your ship out in deep space.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Elite

I've been more concerned about Shields on my ships. The regen rate may be ridiculously slow, but it recharges quickly at Ancient Recharge Stations. I ran one ship with no armor at all for a while, and my current ship I haven't upped structure (or whatever stat armor uses) at all, so I'm using one relatively low-level piece of armor.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAV View Post
I used to use both, but generally stick to shields only because I ignore the structure stat and have high engineering. Shield regen is a serious problem, though. I would like to see a 'shutdown' mode where you get a heavy penalty to movement and are unable to fire weapons, but you get a massive shield regen boost. The mode would last for a set period of time. If an enemy fleet happens to spot you just as you flick that switch, you're boned.
Keep a handful of emergency shield boosters on hand. I kept over a half-dozen of them on one ship and just rotated them in as needed. The equivalent amount of "shield regen per second" they gave was unmatched by pretty much anything.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Legend

BTW, do people use heavy armor? At the level I'm at (16), using heavy armor means sacrificing a heavy weapon, which is a big deal. So I always use medium armor.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
BTW, do people use heavy armor? At the level I'm at (16), using heavy armor means sacrificing a heavy weapon, which is a big deal. So I always use medium armor.
Heavy armor has a scaling problem. The average heavy armor is only 25-30% better than a similar level medium one. They simply don't do enough to justify the more useful component slot. Minimum, a heavy armor should have double the armor of a medium one.

That being said, I'd like to see some "heavy component" versions of other hardware. Shields, Repair Modules, and the like. Give me the option of using "high-powered" versions of these suckers. Same power and stat requirements, much better results.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Heavy armor has a scaling problem. The average heavy armor is only 25-30% better than a similar level medium one. They simply don't do enough to justify the more useful component slot. Minimum, a heavy armor should have double the armor of a medium one.
Combine this issue with the fact that solar panels simply don't produce enough power, and I get a permanent, inflexible combo of thrust/power reactor in my heavy slots and armor in my medium slots.

I feel like there should be a lot more medium slots than heavy slots, and a lot more light slots than medium slots. The way that the 3 stay around the same doesn't seem right to me.