Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril strategy/tactics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Amateur

Default Warrior stats

First of all I would like to give a big HELLO to everyone....

My first char is a warr and am now lvl 23 I would like to know how higher lvl
warriors are placing thier points. I am so far placing usally 2 str 2 dex and 1 vit.

Also is Int and Sprit good for warriors?

Thanks for any input.
Yots
Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Elite

Intelligence is useful for critical hits, but I think the pattern you are using is fine. Generally I am use 2 STR 2 VIT 1 DEX for my warrior, which is more aimed at tanking. Havenīt found a weapon yet that I donīt have sufficient DEX for (only at level 36 though).
Old 04-21-2008, 05:31 AM
Elite

You'll probably start running into daggers that you won't be able to use eventually. But that's what rogues are for anyway, so no worries.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Elite

i do 3 STR and 2DEX or VIT.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Elite

I personally like 2 STR, 1 DEX, 1VIT, 1 INT and then 2 STR, 2 VIT, 1 INT on each alternative level. As Shaggy Moose points out, the critical hits make INT quite a good stat to raise on even melee based characters. This is probably somewhat unintuative to old skool D&D or other contemporary CRPG players.

Seems to me like putting any points into Spirit is a complete waste of them. Is there any reason why I should consider points in Spirit for any of my characters? I generally just use potions, buffs and items for my resistances and have never really regretted low spirit scores. I definately think that the payoff should be better for points in Spirit, or give it a secondary function such as life/mana regneration. Perhaps even make Spirit scores a pre-requisite for higher level items. The way it is I just see no reason to waste points here.

Last edited by Kruztee : 04-21-2008 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added content pertinent to topic. *LOL*
Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Elite

I don't think spirit is a waste of time, any more than intelligence. If you look at the critical hit modifier you get for bumping intelligence, its very low. Increasing your spirit directly affects the amount of damage you take from enemies (most have at least one status effect), so its useful for all characters. However, I am not sure at what point its usefulness overtakes diminishing returns from increasing VIT instead. All that being said, I have never buffered spirit past 20 points, except for a priest...

If you want an additional perk related to spirit, I think regeneration would be useful and appropriate. Of course, you would want to keep the figures low.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
If you look at the critical hit modifier you get for bumping intelligence, its very low.
No doubt, but equally so is the resistance bonus from the spirit score. When you factor in that resistances are easily gained from buffs, items and potions, that's why I think that INT is more useful than SPI. The bonuses gained from points in INT are more difficult to gain from other means. Since INT also gives bonus mana and regen to magic wielders, perhaps SPI should give bonuses to melee characters? This would seem to make it more attractive.

Quote:
Increasing your spirit directly affects the amount of damage you take from enemies (most have at least one status effect), so its useful for all characters.
I disagree. The points are simply better spent elsewhere, in my opinion. In any case, I'd rather deal damage faster than take less damage over the same time.

Quote:
If you want an additional perk related to spirit, I think regeneration would be useful and appropriate.
Agreed.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Elite

Mages get almost no benefit of STR. Priests depend on their skill balance, but generally get little benefit of DEX, and less benefit of STR when compared to SPI.

However, the permanent resistance boosts at 50+ SPI is not to be laughed at. Sure beats carrying around a load of potions in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruztee View Post
I disagree. The points are simply better spent elsewhere, in my opinion. In any case, I'd rather deal damage faster than take less damage over the same time.
Well, originally you said it was a complete waste of time. If you are trying to stay in the fight as long as possible, drawing agro while your recruit causes damage, it may be useful. Though as I stated before though, I am not sure at which point (if any) that it would be more useful than simply buffing VIT, or having increased STR as you noted. I also like the idea that it buffs all your resistances at once, whereas with a potion you can only buff two at once (although by a hugely increased amount). In general though, one or two is all you need, unless you happen to run into one of those ridiculously overpowered uniques that turns up from time to time... So yeah, even after trying to make a case for it, I can agree that the points are better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by ShaggyMoose : 04-21-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delve View Post
Mages get almost no benefit of STR. Priests depend on their skill balance, but generally get little benefit of DEX, and less benefit of STR when compared to SPI.
True, and ack! I didn't even remember that priests get faith buffs from increased SPI! That's what ShaggyMoose was referring to earlier as well... Then obviously there is a case for points into SPI in some very limited cases. I hardly ever play priests, maybe I should start another one.

Quote:
Well, originally you said it was a complete waste of time. If you are trying to stay in the fight as long as possible, drawing agro while your recruit causes damage, it may be useful.
Point taken. I did rant a little bit and apologise for that. But even in the situation you describe above I would tend to just want to pump the VIT stat and take the extra HPs. To be honest though, I never noticed the diminishing returns to HP from increasing VIT either. I play hardcore characters exclusively, and rarely get past level 15 with many of them. Perhaps this explains my bias against SPI.

Thanks for the food for thought.

Last edited by Kruztee : 04-21-2008 at 10:00 PM.