Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril strategy/tactics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delve View Post
That's exactly what I mean
First I've heard about a CTRL key function--what does it do?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by krozman View Post
the hide the grave quest is part of a quest series that will always reset on every new world, so expect to see it every time.

The gambler is a complete waste of time IMO. It's an NPC that has lots of potential (i.e. quest chain that allows you to gamble for set pieces, etc), but alas, not in the game yet.
Thanks for the info on the quest.

Does it help to gamble with a treasure finding elixir or no? I think I've only won once and it wasn't that great.

In other games, the vendors never carry quality items, but not so in DoP I've noticed--just yesterday the weaponsmith had a unique staff that was valuable to me, so it seems worthwhile to check in from time to time, especially with Oslo to stock up on magic-find potions....
Old 07-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Yep, open the console, type fps 1 and hit enter.

If you mean the key alt that shows items on the ground, just turn on the toggle option on the game options screen, and hit alt once.
Steve, thank you. The FPS display was extremely helpful in tweaking my graphics settings for balance.

I know hitting ALT once every time you start a new session is very easy, but my brain is rattled and I literally forget to sometimes I might avoid those moments of self-hatred if the pref state persisted.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by (name here) View Post

I have played two such games before.
Which ones? Just curious.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Expert

Steve, while we're discussing things at random here.....

I have 39 out of 40 tomes and I am not sure what the title is of the last remaining one, and I can't remember all their names, so I must pick up every tome I come across and see if I already have it and then toss it if I do. If I could hover over its empty slot to get its name then I would know what tome I'm looking for. What do you think?

I don't know if this is a bug or not: I have come across items that are artifacts or unique that have the same name, all the same attributes, except their DPS varies. Oh, same for sets. I think I have two Raven's Cloaks or something. Do you want to hear about these? I could send a list if you do. I would think that unique items should... well.. unique. Same for sets, no especially for a set. It kind of invalidates the storyline a bit psychologically.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss4r View Post
As to spirit, since the mage is pretty vulnerable comparatively, isn't it a good strategy to build up your elemental defenses? Or does pouring those points into dexterity, vitality, and intelligence provide a better offense and defense?
I'd say skip DEX and STR completely unless you need it to equip a specific item that you want. For a mage, SPI is a bit of a tossup. Good resistances are handy to have but you shouldn't be getting dinged much anyway or you're in more trouble than all the spirit in the world can help with. I would be interested in seeing a comparison between spirit and vitality for the purposes of trap survival though.

Quote:
First I've heard about a CTRL key function--what does it do?
Shows you all (and I mean all, even hidden lurkers) actors on the screen. It's like ALT for creatures. It gets pretty cluttered sometimes, but it can be excruciatingly handy at other times, like hunting down a particular creature or creature type in a zone.

Quote:
I have 39 out of 40 tomes and I am not sure what the title is of the last remaining one, and I can't remember all their names, so I must pick up every tome I come across and see if I already have it and then toss it if I do.
I've mentioned before, but I'd really like to see an indication on the ALT tip to indicate whether you have the book or not. Like, if you've got it the highlight text could be red or just say something like '<book title> - Already have this book'.

Quote:
I don't know if this is a bug or not: I have come across items that are artifacts or unique that have the same name, all the same attributes, except their DPS varies. Oh, same for sets. I think I have two Raven's Cloaks or something. Do you want to hear about these? I could send a list if you do. I would think that unique items should... well.. unique. Same for sets, no especially for a set. It kind of invalidates the storyline a bit psychologically.
This is intended behavior. There's a post somewhere where I asked about that As for the different armor or damage values, this is because the items are random. The magic bonuses on artifacts etc are consistent, but the base armor and damage values are still randomized within a range. Which means for items with high %-bonuses you can get wildly different armor and damage values. No two are made alike.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Does it help to gamble with a treasure finding elixir or no? I think I've only won once and it wasn't that great.
No, it doesn't help any.

Quote:
I have 39 out of 40 tomes and I am not sure what the title is of the last remaining one, and I can't remember all their names, so I must pick up every tome I come across and see if I already have it and then toss it if I do. If I could hover over its empty slot to get its name then I would know what tome I'm looking for. What do you think?
That's a good idea. I'm not sure how feasible it is off hand though. I'll look at it though.
Patreon
Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Expert

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delve View Post
Shows you all (and I mean all, even hidden lurkers) actors on the screen. It's like ALT for creatures. It gets pretty cluttered sometimes, but it can be excruciatingly handy at other times, like hunting down a particular creature or creature type in a zone.
Thank you for the explanation!

*Calls Steve over here* Steve, this don't work on my Mac.

Pressing control does nothing, unless I press M for the map; then, when I hold down CTRL, I see the boxes (one for my rogue, and presumably others for creatures if there were any in the view right now).

And again, pressing H does nothing, either (when the text boxes say to press H for a description, such as when I have selected a guard).
Old 07-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I can easily bump up specific items to make them stronger if people think they are too weak, but it's much easier to work with specific items than an entire class of items. So let me know specific items you think are too weak.
Here's a scenario: I like Raven's Tunic, but it'd be more fun (it's a game after all) if there were more incentive or greater reward for collecting or wearing other items in the set by having better attributes when combined. I could throw on Raven's Cloak and Raven's Whatever, but the yellow items I have now are greater, and +30 lightning resistance just isn't going to make up for the difference. Would you consider something like +30 intelligence instead? Or why not +30 intel and +30 resistance? In other words, more magic? The sets and the way they tie into the storyline is really neat, but right now they're kind of overshadowed.....
Old 07-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Champion

+30 intelligence is mudflation at its finest. Why not make a chance for complete invulerability while your'e at it!