Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2010, 05:27 AM
Amateur

I've tried the Archer + Other Stuff hybrids (Archer/Gladiator, Archer/Assassin, Archer/Thief, Archer/Weaponmaster, Archer/Sorcerer)

If your shared stash can get an archer to avg 15 damage -- a level 1 archer can take a level 24 town.

(I'm sure a hunter could do the same with barbed arrow -- I just favor lightning arrow + bow mastery combo.)

Archer + Gladiator works best for me -- because the deal damage focus is a point cheaper than weaponmaster's arms mastery for essentially the same effect.)

If there's ever a mod for turning off the town level limitations -- I'll put together a Level 1 God Eq set and see how big a differential can be beaten by an Archer.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Amateur

My healer / ice mage is a lot of fun. I only have points in shatter and greater heal. Shatter has been the best spell I've found for taking out multiple enemies at once - plus you don't have nearly as many cave-ins as you do with the fire spell equivalents. There is something very satisfying using shatter on a barrel which causes several enemies to explode which causes several more to explode.

With greater heal I also don't spend nearly as much on pots as I do with other characters and I can heal NPC's if needed. This makes the game go a lot faster since I'm not ever worrying about pots.

This setup has let me cruise to level 40 quite easily. I did however start off with some mana regen spells earlier until I had the int I needed to blast through levels. I have since removed those points and just have them in heal and shatter.

The downside is with the armor limitations, I tend to sell almost everything I find - so excellent in tanking through the levels, but I feel a bit detached from all the items I find.

I'm assuming this ride won't last long though as I'll probably get to a point where most monsters are immune to ice by like 1,000%, like on D2's Nightmare mode.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Legend

A 24 lvl town? Isnt that a bit too high?

Nevertheless, I just had a feeling that when this game came out, the Ranger class and subclasses were going to mop the floor with the game. I have a hunter mixed with an assassin and the fact that i'm still alive is because of the hunter's survivability.

But besides that, I hear alot about mixing the archer, as it's a popular and offensive class.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
A 24 lvl town? Isnt that a bit too high?

But besides that, I hear alot about mixing the archer, as it's a popular and offensive class.
It requires the right set of eq -- I have an artifact bow that only takes a 23 strength and 33 dex to wield. I fill up all my slots with +str and +dex (even use the switch weapon trick... use a weapon that takes you over the requirements and then switch it off for the bow...)

The first few kills takes patience because you can't kill more than 1 thing at a time but at level 1 some level 24 monsters give you 1000+ xp, most things average 400xp... finishing a boss quest can net you 5K to 20K exp. At level two, I switch from fire arrow to lightning arrow because it stuns.

It's pure math at that point -- archer mana cost never goes up so you don't run out of mana and the damage jump at 20% per is significantly higher than any other class. -- (Consider that bow master is 10% jump versus the weaponmaster +8% for his masteries).

The only dangers are getting mobbed by broods AND getting stunned in the first couple of shots -- not just being mobbed, mind you, it's the stun that kills you because you lose two shots.

It's a question of staying focused on one archery spell arrow which is why I keep stopping at level 30 or so... you want to play with other skills but there's none better than just keep pumping the arrow spell up or bow mastery.

I heard someone say that archer/necromancer is fun because you get to raise little archers and have arrow buddies -- I'm going to try that next to see if amusement gets me past the level 30 hump. And the challenge mod -- hopefully it pumps up the mob hitpoints to the point that at level 10 everything isn't a 1 shot kill.