Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Elite

Apparently, it would be a lot to implement at this point, programming-wise... so I don't think it's likely.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Amateur

Yes, I don't expect much from this company yet, but in time they could become quite popular and sucsessful. I haven't seen many games that give you as many options as Din's Curse, and I haven't seen ANY companies asking people for their ideas and actually implementing them in the game.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlover View Post
Yes, I don't expect much from this company yet, but in time they could become quite popular and sucsessful.
Crikey, that's a bit harsh! If you've never played Depths of Peril then seriously, you need to take a look. Without hesitation I would recommend it as my favourite indie game ever.
In a world where indie developers sales are measured in hundreds of copies (rather than hundreds of thousands of copies), I think it's safe to say that Soldak are both popular and successful already.
Of course that's just my opinion - feel free to disagree
Old 01-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Amateur

Soldak is part of Indie? or... are you comparing them?

I didn't mean what I said in a bad way, but I meant, I'm not expecting them to have Crysis graphics, or gameplay, though that doesn't mean the game is any less fun.

I generally play diablo just for the "pinata fest" on some levels with heaps of demons. This game could finally mean I play a different dungeon crawler.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlover View Post
Soldak is part of Indie? or... are you comparing them?

I didn't mean what I said in a bad way, but I meant, I'm not expecting them to have Crysis graphics, or gameplay, though that doesn't mean the game is any less fun.

I generally play diablo just for the "pinata fest" on some levels with heaps of demons. This game could finally mean I play a different dungeon crawler.
indie as in independent producer.

Crysis graphics are overrated anyway, once you get playing the game you don't notice the bad graphics unless there is a significant shift, and Soldak is incredibly good at keeping things equal quality and avoiding breaks like that.
What's the comment, "brilliant graphics are all well and good for selling your game, but it would be played a hundred times more if half that budget actually went into making the game worth playing."
Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Amateur

hmm. Maybe so. If I ever get to play one of their games, I'll probably agree with you.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Expert

Also there is a HUGE gulf between indie and mainstream game developers when it comes to resources. Most indie developers are small firms between 1-10 people doing all the work. A game like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 had a budget in excess of 40 million dollars (and has made an absolute fortune). Those people can basically have one person just drawing friggin' eyebrows.

To put it simply, indie developers need to be clever and find a niche. For my money Soldaks games are the best this niche has to offer in terms of quality/price. Playing a game (DoP) that costs less than my hourly wage for more than hundred hours is something that doesn't happen often.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Elite

Din's Curse will be similar. Low price, many hours of play.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Rehm View Post
Din's Curse will be similar. Low price, many hours of play.
Thus the statement "not often". I guess without Din's Curse it would be "extremely rarely".
Old 01-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Amateur

ok then. I'm really looking forward to din's curse being released, but I'm not sure if I can buy it anyway. It would depend on what countries it's being sold in, and if it's sold in store or over the internet.