Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Amateur

Default Accidently at war?

Hello,

Just a question about a puzzling incident in my first game. I'm getting along great with the Defenders of Virtue, so much so that they finally agreed to adventure with me. Couple of quests all goes well, and then I notice the "You've got WAR!" icon and no fellow adventurer. I teleport back home to find out that I'm at war with... the Defenders of Virtue! And now they hate me! Luckily, they were more than willing to enter a peace treaty, but they're no longer my best buds any more.

SO: Did I screw up and attack the DoV guy in the field, and that caused it, or did I just look weak somehow (I have about twice as much influence as the next highest group)? They don't seem the types to backstab; and I hadn't brought up the Relationships panel, and FOR SURE I didn't start that one.

Any clues appreciated...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Champion

you will lose a lot of happyness with them if they die, if you accidentaly let them die a few times it's possible for them to cancel their aliance with you, although honesltly I would recomend checking the message log to find out what happened.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Amateur

Cool

Thanks for the info, Scragar.

Well, looking back at the messages as you suggest it says that my group declared war on the DoV... well, I sure didn't MEAN to... glad they're the forgiving type :-/
Old 09-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Expert

Screw them. If they start attacking you just because their guys are crappy enough to die few times, then you go ahead with the war and wipe them off from the face of the earth. None of that mushy-mushy let's be friends forever crap. It's time for blood!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Champion

that's not the problem, by the sounds of it yachris had 2 friendly covenants, 1 of which (s)he was adventuring with, when the other was attacked by the first, causing the h(is/er) covenant was dragged into war as part of a mutual protection/alliance...

the logs will explain what exactly happened better than I could assume it, but this sounds likely since you wound up in war without knowing it.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Amateur

Memo to self... don't get... on LordLabyrinth's... bad side

Scragar, I was confusing, evidently. There are two other covenants at the moment (but not for long). One is friendly (DoV) and the other isn't very. I was adventuring with the friendlys, and then suddenly I was at war with them. The other covenant didn't seem to be involved at all, according to the log.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Expert

Yeah, I think it really was because your co-adventurer died that your relationship dropped. Besides, don't you get tired of them taking your loots and get the credit for the quests completed? Although the concept of adventuring together is great, in reality it's more work than it's worth. I guess it could be useful if 3 or more unique monsters congregate at the same place and you can't get rid of them by yourself.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Amateur

Yeah... after they adventured with me, their influence shot way up. On a guess, though, I'm thinking that Adventuring Together is a step towards more cordial relationships.

So I'm thinking that inviting them and then hitting nearby, safe areas and just whomping easy monsters for a while is probably the way to go.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Expert

Yachris, you seem to enjoy happy relationship with the other covenants more than beating the snot out of them. Try it. It's really fun, and if you get bored, you can always start a new world.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Amateur

Oh... don't misunderstand... there are two smoking holes in the ground that *used* to be other covenants. Not that I'd know anything about that <whistles innocently> .

Edit: And then there were none -- yay, I won my first game! But I'm still interested in doing a diplomatic win... maybe next time...

Last edited by yachris : 09-12-2008 at 10:16 PM.