Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Amateur

Question Maybe I'm playing the game wrong...?

But I "feel" like I'm in a rush ALL the time, a rush to finish quests first, a rush to gain recruits, and to stay ahead of the Covenant Houses.

What I'd like to do is explore and work on quests and even pick up some recruits...just not a break neck speed.

I feel that my pre-occupation with speed and worrying about what the other AI NPCs/Houses are doing (at optimal efficiency) is making me miss mush about the game, it's setting and some of the general joy and fun that should be derived from playing.

While I am enjoying it, at the same time it makes me feel tense and hurried.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Do I need to be this concerned with speed?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Amateur

Hey Roland,

I can relate a little bit -- but I found something that helps: the "P" key. It pauses the game, and I use it *constantly*. Whenever I'm dealing with my inventory, or reading a book, or even once I hit the "Trade" command with the vendor, I pause. This has helped a lot; I can deal with the minor things without worrying about time rolling by.

I'm guessing (since I've only played one game) that if you play against low-level covenants, you'll pretty much always be in the lead for influence. This means you can play a more relaxed game; maybe someday I'll be good enough to swim with the sharks :-).

Interestingly, I read the reviews of this game on JayIsGames (where I found out about it) and some people were really stressed by the speed, and some people were really surprised... they don't find it rushed at all. It may be a matter of time and familiarity, too.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Champion

try my slow game mod, it should half the AIs speed giving you a lot more time for what you want(if that's too much or not enough just say and I'll adjust it).

http://www.4shared.com/file/62910925..._slowGame.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/62919642...lowGameV2.html <-- version 2 includes a few edits to delay some quests and give you more time to complete recruit or delivery quests.

Last edited by scragar : 09-14-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Expert

Roland, I had the same impression of rushing all the time. Then, I changed my way of playing a little bit:

Anytime I'm not moving around or killing something, I pause the game. Even if it's just to give a new weapon to my recruit, I hit the 'P' key.

And like yachris said, lower level covenants are good if you want to explore more and do quests at your own pace. If it's too quiet in town, you can always kill them all and start a new world with higher level covenants.

You could also try scragar mod to slow down things until you feel comfortable with the covenants competition.

Anyway, have fun! That's the number 1 priority.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Amateur

Cool

Thanks a lot for the ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

And the Pause feature is nice, I didn't realize you could do so much while in pause mode...that does come in handy!

I'll look into the mod as well

Regards & Good hunting!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Champion

I never had problems with the speed. You don't have to solve all quests, only if a NPC or a recruit or even you are poisend or have the plague, you must (should) solve these quests.

You should also hurry if the town or your house are attacked (monster inside the town or siege or other convenant or a guard who breaks his enchantment). But this happend not so often and not at the same time.

But with the other things, you can stay relaxed!

Detlev

Last edited by DetlevH : 09-14-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Expert

I would even go further than what DetlevH said!

You shouldn't even try to solve all quests. Some quests are just not worth the effort in reward. Prioritize the quests.

If you are a rogue, you can even skip past most monsters and go straight to your goal. In fact, you can even do that with other classes, though with more difficulty.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Expert

I think the urgency thing was well done. Most single players just doesn't give that same thrill as playing against a very intelligent human opponent. By giving other covenants similar feel, it makes the game more competitive. I have no problem with the other covenants stealing recruits and maybe doing few quests.

I would have a problem if the other covenant members didn't do squat. If all they did was sit in their room and wait for mobs to attack them, then I would hate this game.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLabyrinth View Post
I would have a problem if the other covenant members didn't do squat. If all they did was sit in their room and wait for mobs to attack them, then I would hate this game.
Agreed. This is one thing that's really seperated DoP from similar games, like Diablo. The world actually changes, and you can't just sit around and do whatever whenever.

If you want to lesson the stress, select a difficulty level below you (Ie, if you're level 11, select level 5), and set the Covenant agression to the lowest difficulty. I did this for a few games while I was learning it, and it makes them pretty docile
Old 09-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Champion

The biggest problem with all games played today is their LACK of difficulty. That being said, I don't think this game is hard unless it's a loner hardcore.

If you actually lose a game/world, feel good knowing that victory in the future will mean that you've adapted to the challenge.