Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Expert

Default minor text alignment issue

In hybrid creation mode, the Thief's Slice ability has some oddly-wrapped text (where the blue box I added is/just above it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slice.jpg (38.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Amateur

Hope this is the right place...

I just bought and downloaded Din's Curse and Demon War today, after reading Rock Paper Shotgun's excellent article about it. Unfortunately, the game crashes at the main menu either immediately or as soon as I click the mouse. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it a number of times, both with and without Demon War, with the same result.

If it helps, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit from a non-Administrator account after using the admin account to install. Is there anything I can do to give you more information that might help solve this issue?

edit: The installers are DinsCurse1022.exe and DCDemonWar1022.exe, so I have the latest version. The crash dump says it's a problem with atioglxx.dll, which some googling reveals is an OpenGL issue. I updated my video drivers and was able to avoid crashing as soon as the game loaded. However, after changing my display settings and attempting to apply the changes, the game crashed and is now back to crashing as soon as the menu loads (though it does load at the new resolution). Crash dump below:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DinsCurse.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d5d47f0
Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.10524
Fault Module Timestamp: 4d40a75b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00b1a775
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

edit again: SOLVED IT

After reading the manual, I spotted the bit about Triple Buffering causing some issues. I turned it off in the Catalyst Control Center, and the game now loads perfectly. Guess I should have RTFM.

Last edited by HotSake : 03-15-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSake View Post
edit again: SOLVED IT

After reading the manual, I spotted the bit about Triple Buffering causing some issues. I turned it off in the Catalyst Control Center, and the game now loads perfectly. Guess I should have RTFM.
Glad you got it working and thanks for posting the solution.
Patreon
Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Cadfan, what version are you playing?
I'm pretty sure it was 1.022. But I'm not 100% sure. I'll let you know if it keeps happening.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Champion

Default Another ant bed

1. Item characteristic "of godsend" needs an article: "of a/the godsend."
2. Friendly mobs seem vulnerable to my AOE spells cast at enemy mobs in their vicinity. I can't see any other way to understand how the two friendly Deathblow twins died fighting Klepto the Leprechaun, with my Fireballing PC to tank for them against the other boss, a wimpy naga who spent most of his time swiping at a lightning cone trap. My PC took maybe 200-300 HP damage during the fight, and any Champion-level boss has 5-10X that many HP. Surely, the single Goblin Fire Thrower in the area couldn't have done them in, either. Later on, a trivial fight that I joined at the end of a corridor depleted another friendly mob by 400 HP.
3. Acid and Magma traps cannot be disarmed when found singly on a container but can be disarmed when part of a multi-trap cluster tied to a lever. Pulling such a lever without enough TD invariably hits me with A&M, but getting the six TD XP awards from the lever never leaves me burning up.
4. Changelings do not always retain their morphed rank, if Champion or Elite, when returning to their true form. No hurry to fix this one.
5. Cave-ins and Thorns can sometimes be parried, blocked, etc.
6. Gamblers' items with the Worn spiderweb on them may or may not actually be Worn/high durability. Let's keep this gambling honest.
7. Mobs run faster and faster as their level rises, for no apparent reason but cheap-shotting. They don't need the speed on top of their ever-increasing one-shotting ability. Casters, rogues, and bowmen are squishy enough without this "nowhere to run, nowhere to hide" routine that only increases the existing necessity to build a glass cannon PC.
8. Shields have an unreasonable level prerequisite. Each shield tier gives only 15 more Defense than the last but requires 4-5 more levels. 15 Defense ceases to be meaningful once one's level is in double digits. Aside from the trivial extra Defense, shields are fairly rare loot with mostly poor enchantments, neither of which supports making them hard to use. A given "plus to all stats" armor piece takes 33-50% more levels to wear if it's a shield versus soft armor or a hard armor piece, assuming a moderate 2.5-3.5 STR/level equivalent for hard armor wearers.
9. The same townie was listed as being petrified twice at the beginning of a town, though it only took one quest to cure him. Later on, this Typhoid Mary also caught the plague. Weak sister!
10. Curing the plague in one town did not return food to its normal price, and no nefarious machines were present.
11. Fire-using mobs cannot set off gas leaks, though they can light up barrels, crates, and doors.
12. Large Backpack should be renamed Rucksack, in keeping with the *sack/pack theme. Pouch, bag, satchel, sack, knapsack, backpack, rucksack. Or maybe swap the last two.
13. The +Defense enchants on anything but shields are grossly too small. +15 is a big one, but 15 Defense stops mattering by L10. All of these, even the shield ones, could stand a doubling or tripling. Don't force every character to 250 DEX.
14. Spiders can pounce while pinned by a Fire Maelstrom. That takes the pounce error list to: through a door, while stunned, while pinned, and obstructing the landing square from the moment of takeoff.
15. Flame Wall (and presumably Frost Nova and Ice Storm) proc emanates from the PC, not the mob he just hit with his weapon. This makes FW/FN/IS bows effectively useless as to their proc.
16. Brujar's Manic bracers need a noun in their name. Were they supposed to be Brujar's Maniac?
17. A Spawn trap on a money chest near the room's wall failed to gate in any mobs when activated. The rest of the freshly cleared level was still devoid of mobs afterward, so they didn't get teleported elsewhere after possibly being materialized inside a wall.
18. Shankar's Flail is not a flail but rather a 2h mace, and a slow type 2h mace at that. Why not rename it Shankar's Slammer / Squasher?
19. Non-aggressive mob species should not count as mobs for purposes of Enemies Too Close. It is entirely possible for a totem or gate to be located out of my line of fire, but close enough for a vendor to block the corridor with ETC, yet far enough that the stupid vendor doesn't bother attacking it. It is even possible to use Switch Places to box one's self in between two such vendors, getting trapped forever, absent wasting a Teleport Stone, leaving/abandoning the town, or having some non-LOS attack capable of reaching the passive mob. All of this could also be solved by implementing my earlier suggestion to remove the ETC failure mode in favor of graying out all conversation options but Switch Places and Never Mind when mobs are near.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Amateur

New Bug found in Beta Patch 1.023 A Machine appears to have been created in the NW quadrant of the town beside the tower. (See attached Picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0000e.jpg (66.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Expert

Shafk, I have encountered towns that have constructed "light machines," which presumably is the opposite of a darkness machine. Perhaps this is one of them?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Champion

- The icon for donation bliss is the same as the inhibit magic (from the blue radiating pools) status icon (intentional?).
- wording problem, see screenshot.

I should mention I'm still on 1.022, so these things may have been fixed in 023.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0000.jpg (55.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Maledictus : 03-20-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Elite

Since Shankar's Flail got fixed, I might as well mention Sven's Falchion, which is not a falchion, but a war sword.
I guess this should be changed; especially since Sven already has a proper war sword in his arsenal.

Shafk, Arjun123 : Yes, that's a Brightness Machine, and it counteracts the effects of a Darkness Machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SvensFalchion.jpg (27.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Elite

Seems like there's invisible walls in this dungeon... they appear on the mini-map, though.
It doesn't seem to be a bug with the mapping; the walls are really there (i.e. the PC can't walk across the tiles where they're supposed to be).

This happened after dispelling an illusionary wall, save/exiting the game and then coming back to this dungeon level.
There were several places like this further down the same corridor, and all had previously been blocked off by illusionary walls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Invisible_Walls.jpg (38.1 KB, 9 views)