Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Elite

Default Sound Advice: Drox Operative

Hi Folks,
I figured I would start this thread off right off the bat to start to compile audio feedback for Drox Operative.

Now we most likely won't be able to get to everything, but getting a sense of what a majority of people feel about certain audio aspects will help us to prioritize changes.

It's especially helpful when we get specific examples, followed by ideas for improvement. Additionally, (and this goes for any area), it helps us to know what is working particularly well so that we can make sure to capitalize on that currently and in the future.

And don't worry about hurting my feelings--I can take it Just want it to be the best game we can make!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Elite

I'm pulling in some specific audio stuff from other threads:

Roswitha:
"I liked the graphics in the opening scenes, but I found the Cool Dude voice to be very annoying (Apologies to Torikamal, I think). It might help if you dropped his voice a couple of octaves. Also, instead of drawling "They failed," try saying it like a pair of drum beats.

The music was great. The background was very impressive. "

Castruccio
I agree with Rosawitha's earlier post about the intro voice, though. While the intro itself is a fantastic addition, the voice is a bit over the top (the guy sounds too cool for his own good, or like the front man of a horrible pop band, and it makes me want to punch him).

I definitely appreciate the feedback, folks! So to me, this soon, means I've definitely got to come up with a new voice for "El Capitan". This is actually the third different voice I've tried--and I've actually found it quite tricky because the script is sort of a balance between tongue-in-cheek cockiness, and epic drama, but it's clearly a balance I haven't found yet. Any Youtube/Sound Cloud/etc... examples of a voice/style you think I should try for this role would be awesome.

Keep up the feedback!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Amateur

I didn't feel that the voice was too cocky -- he sounded like a space cowboy to me, and I thought that was quite appropriate for the game. I did, however, think that he sounded a little young. A deeper voice might be a better pick here, but the "attitude" expressed seemed quite right to me.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Expert

Thumbs up

Hi there,

first of all: great work on the music! Nice feature to have different themes in the the ship creation! And huge respect for taking criticism not too personal. Especially after putting so much passion and work into it.

I agree with the other posters on the intro voiceover though. My suggestion would be to use less accent and a darker and deeper voice for it.

The best thing that comes to mind (while of course absolutely a matter of taste) is this voice type and style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwANFc7D1ac

Yes, I know who sounds like that. Not sure though if everyone likes Riddick style.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Elite

By the way, I do have a key-frame mistake in the intro--you can see a black line where I pulled the motion down too far at the end of the Starlane image. I'll get that fixed eventually, but consider that a known issue (oopsy!)
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 AM
Expert

Just a quick note: I'm finding all of the sounds in the game to be apt so far. I especially like the damage over time sounds, as well as the warning sounds for going too far outside a sector. They all remind me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind in a way (and even Jaws in some aspects, hah), and I dig it. Although I think I could do with a change to the coin sound when looting credits (I wouldn't mind if credits were just transferred to an account, rather than requiring an actual pickup, but I digress), that seems to go along with the fact there's actual cash money showing up in space, so I guess it's fitting in that context!

However, the reason for this post is to bring up the Angelic sort of choir sound that occurs when a member of your alliance declares war, thus dragging you into it. This angelic choir-like sound effect sounds very distorted and clipped, giving sort of a Loudness Wars vibe. I don't know if there's a way to fix this, but as it stands it a bit hard to listen to when wearing headphones, as it makes it sound like the speakers are blown.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Champion

Maybe try a female voice?

I can really tell that Din's did well by the increase in production values across the board here in Drox. Still trying to get a hang of the pacing and what I'm supposed to be doing in comparison to Din's, and wondering if there are pacing issues, but this game looks good.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Expert

The hammering sound when repairing feels not fitting. It should be a much heavier deeper sound. Like hitting a heavy hull.

The "you won game" music is great!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by torikamal View Post
I'm pulling in some specific audio stuff from other threads:

Roswitha:
"I liked the graphics in the opening scenes, but I found the Cool Dude voice to be very annoying (Apologies to Torikamal, I think). It might help if you dropped his voice a couple of octaves. Also, instead of drawling "They failed," try saying it like a pair of drum beats.

The music was great. The background was very impressive. "

Castruccio
I agree with Rosawitha's earlier post about the intro voice, though. While the intro itself is a fantastic addition, the voice is a bit over the top (the guy sounds too cool for his own good, or like the front man of a horrible pop band, and it makes me want to punch him).

I definitely appreciate the feedback, folks! So to me, this soon, means I've definitely got to come up with a new voice for "El Capitan". This is actually the third different voice I've tried--and I've actually found it quite tricky because the script is sort of a balance between tongue-in-cheek cockiness, and epic drama, but it's clearly a balance I haven't found yet. Any Youtube/Sound Cloud/etc... examples of a voice/style you think I should try for this role would be awesome.

Keep up the feedback!
Just got the game today...but if I was to think of a voice I would use something like the captain of serenty in firefly...a western cockiness.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Amateur

Personally I did not care for the "you won" music. Didn't fit with the epic sci-fi theme. But I'm a musician myself, and really picky about in-game music. I usually turn it off.

There are a lot of sound effects recycled from Din's Curse, which I found a little distracting - I associate them with a whole different universe.

For things like the radiation burn, I'd prefer not to have the sounds randomly pitch-shift. I think a steady alarm is a better sound for that.