Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Elite

Elemental modifiers that make some skills more useful than others, or cause them to interact with the world in new ways.

- A world where fire barely occurs, or another world in which it works a little too well...
- Poison is more effective, but can cause some monters to go on an insane rampage with incredible strength before they expire.
- Unstable worlds where quake spells can be extremely dangerous to use...

Quote:
I'm also planning on there being a level requirement from a lot of them so as you increase in level you see more and more different modifiers.
This is a great idea that will help keep the game fresh and increase the complexity later on when players know the ropes.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Amateur

Those are brilliant ideas. I've always been a huge fan of dynamically created worlds, or at least randomly generated dungeons, and there are so few games that make use of this. The world modifiers take this even further, and I'm quite excited about this.

Will the player have some choices here? I.e. picking a "low magic" world, or will it be completely "random" and "under the hat"?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure yet. Right now the player has no choice. I've thought about letting the player choose different settings, but there are some that they would never choose and some they would choose every time.
Patreon
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I'm not sure yet. Right now the player has no choice. I've thought about letting the player choose different settings, but there are some that they would never choose and some they would choose every time.
What about having it to where, initially, there is no choice. However, upon clearing the game with whatever random assortment(possibly a general selection of some of them), you'd unlock another options menu where you could then select those particular attributes again outright. The point being, as you achieve success with each subsequent, random given assortment, said features get added to the accessible options list upon each clear.

This would also surely help people to try and take another class thru the same general "world" they beat once before without having to suffer a tremendous amount of world restarts until that specific featureset cropped up again. Ditto for experimenting and testing. If nothing else, it'd be one of the more robust/useful "Achievements" systems out there since such things are popular nowadays.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Elite

It would be neat if some worlds had unique quests or items that matched the theme of the world. Like maybe a weapon that combines traits that match that world's keywords, available upon beating the world.

Not that I really know how or why there are multiple worlds. For reasons like in DoP?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
What about having it to where, initially, there is no choice. However, upon clearing the game with whatever random assortment(possibly a general selection of some of them), you'd unlock another options menu where you could then select those particular attributes again outright. The point being, as you achieve success with each subsequent, random given assortment, said features get added to the accessible options list upon each clear.
I have thought of doing something like this. I'm just not sure yet. At the least I would not give you the choice on some of them (like a high treasure modifier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadfan View Post
Not that I really know how or why there are multiple worlds. For reasons like in DoP?
Each town is essentially a different world, similar to DoP.
Patreon
Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I've thought about letting the player choose different settings, but there are some that they would never choose and some they would choose every time.
What about if you used a points balance system? Each world randomly rolls some modifiers. You can modify these traits, but it costs "points" to nullify traits or to add a new trait. Traits that are perceived as negative or positive costs more points to nullify/add respectively. More nuetral traits could be cheaper to nullify, while adding a negative trait could win you points. You could have a maximum number of changes permitted per world and any points accrued by adding negative traits could carry on to the next world, giving you more options next time. The traits available for selection each world should be a random subset of all available traits. In this way, there is still an element of randomness, but it adds a layer of strategy that maybe you can alter a world to suit your play style or character.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

That would be pretty cool.
Patreon
Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Amateur

1) A modifier for equipment drops, a high rate for artifact equipment, a low rate for potions, etc.

2) Weather, though I understand most maps will be indoors, who is to say that a storm could not brew in a large cavern? Random lightning strikes would make things interesting, have the bolts hold for two seconds or so, which would make the player need to dodge around them.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Except for the potions one we have all of those. It can rain and storm up in the town. I really like our lightning strikes. They can't hurt you right now though.
Patreon