Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Elite

I've played some Cataclysm DDA and enjoyed its sophisticated character setup, crafting, interactivity, and strategic elements. I think combining these elements into a Dins style dynamic event ARPG world would make a pretty interesting game.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Expert

Mods. Externalized game logic. Lua|Java|C#|soldakode scripting!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:43 AM
Amateur

Giving the idea some more thought - what the game has over other zombie games is that it is set in a pre-existing fantasy world. if this means you kill zombies with swords and magic instead of guns, than that's a superficial difference... But fantasy could add other interesting elements to the setting - e.g. necromancy, controlling the undead or even Liches organizing zombies... I do hope the fantasy setting is going to be more than just a reskin.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearro View Post
Giving the idea some more thought - what the game has over other zombie games is that it is set in a pre-existing fantasy world. if this means you kill zombies with swords and magic instead of guns, than that's a superficial difference... But fantasy could add other interesting elements to the setting - e.g. necromancy, controlling the undead or even Liches organizing zombies... I do hope the fantasy setting is going to be more than just a reskin.
I must quote Bearro. Fantasy world with undeads could be more interesting than real world (IMHO).

my 2 cents: make more stronghold/ settlements fighting for food and resources. Don't be only on human vs zombie, but human vs human + all vs zombies.
(where humans are any kind of fantasy races)
Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Elite

Agreed about playing up the fantasy aspect. This is what will set the game apart. It would be cool if you could play as more than humans (unlike in DC and DoP where you could only be human).
Old 05-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo elf View Post
Are you going for the usual kill monster for XP -> level up system?
Probably. Although there will probably be other ways of gaining XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caal View Post
I've played some Cataclysm DDA and enjoyed its sophisticated character setup, crafting, interactivity, and strategic elements. I think combining these elements into a Dins style dynamic event ARPG world would make a pretty interesting game.
I'll have to check out Cataclysm DDA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevener View Post
Mods. Externalized game logic. Lua|Java|C#|soldakode scripting!
I'll definitely think about this, although in our case this gets to be difficult. A lot of our CPU time is already used by the game code. Pushing it out to a scripting language is likely to make that much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearro View Post
I'm not positive, but Liches are likely to make an appearance again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornova View Post
my 2 cents: make more stronghold/ settlements fighting for food and resources. Don't be only on human vs zombie, but human vs human + all vs zombies.
(where humans are any kind of fantasy races)
I'm pretty sure there will be other strongholds. They might become allies or they might become enemies. It will depend on who they are, what the situation is, and how you treat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castruccio View Post
Agreed about playing up the fantasy aspect. This is what will set the game apart. It would be cool if you could play as more than humans (unlike in DC and DoP where you could only be human).
I would love to allow multiple races, but that becomes an animation nightmare really quick. At least in our past games, a monster will have like 10 animations, but a playable character has 100s.
Patreon
Old 05-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Expert

I think you could easily replace zombie infection with something else that would get the job done.

You could say that the gods got pissed off or some lich got really powerful and the souls from the underworld are possessing both living and dead things and trying to take over world. (The Din's Curse hero didn't get to fixing that in time or something)

Infection could then be demonic possession or something like that.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

I would love to allow multiple races, but that becomes an animation nightmare really quick. At least in our past games, a monster will have like 10 animations, but a playable character has 100s.
I guess that makes sense and shows why Drox was the only game to feature multiple playable races (no animations on ships). Could elves, dwarves, and humans all move in similar ways? I envision it similar to the way that all the Kivi's characters moved in similar ways but looked different.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Legend

I'm curious as to what vibe you're going for. Zombie games are usually about hopelessness, despair, and surviving(or not) against all odds. For example, every game of Project Zomboid opens with the line "This is the story of how you died" (or some such thing). The zombies' success is inevitable, and is just a matter of time. ARPGs, on the other hand, are about the player getting stronger, and kicking butt. Din's Curse had some of that desperation aspect to it, but your job was to beat the evil (or not) and move on to the next town.

Also, will permadeath be a default part of the game, or are you invincible as in the other games?

Additionally, a big part of the fun from zombies in DC was seeing how zombies spread from one non-zombified creature to another. If your enemies are mostly zombies, then that aspect can only translate to members of your settlement turning, and how long can that last before your settlement is gone?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I'll definitely think about this, although in our case this gets to be difficult. A lot of our CPU time is already used by the game code. Pushing it out to a scripting language is likely to make that much worse.
This is understandable for Drox to some degree since it's simulating a whole sector simultaneously. However, there's no collision detection, and skeletal animations are minimal, so even if they're done on the CPU, they should be taking up very little time. DC and DoP's performance mystifies me even more, since the collision detection is so basic and the simulation only happens for the level you're in + the town at any one time (except for multiplayer, which I rarely play). It seems like there's a lot of room for optimization in the engine.

If you're thinking of going the scripting route (which I do recommend), look into luajit. It's the fastest scripting language/interpreter around, and it really shouldn't slow down performance by much, so long as it's used for the non-performance-critical stuff like quests, faction relationships etc. Anything performance critical can call c++ routines.