Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2016, 01:48 AM
Amateur

Default Cloud-Based Saved Game Synchronization

Hey, there.

First of all, I want to say that I've really enjoyed the Soldak games I've played so far. Great job! One of the things I love about them is that they run smoothly on my budget laptop, which makes it easier for a busy person to get some extra game time in.

For that reason, I was thinking it'd be awesome to have a cloud-based game syncing feature (akin to Steam Cloud), either built into each game or as a standalone EXE. I decided to throw together a prototype that has a WPF/C# front-end and uses my own web server and PHP for the back-end.

Here's a download link for the EXE. It currently only has Zombasite listed, and only the basic stuff is working. And yes, I unashamedly ripped off the background from your website.

What do you think? Could something like this be possible? I'd be happy to work on it with you/for you, provided I can find the time to do so.

Let me know if you have any questions. I can also send you the source code, but I don't feel comfortable posting it on here.

Thanks!

- Jared
Old 03-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Amateur

I will assume from the absence of replies that there's no interest in this. That's cool! I recently switched to a Windows host, so I'll be rewriting my web services in ASP.NET instead of PHP. This will be the perfect first project for it!

I'll reskin it and remove all references to Soldak from it.

Take care!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Champion

I think you didn't get any replies because no one saw your post. Your very first post on these forums requires moderator approval. This can sometimes take a while. And I think once it does get approved and becomes visible to the rest of us, it doesn't get flagged as a new post. I didn't see it until you posted your reply.

Personally, I don't use cloud saving. I do almost all of my gaming on one device so I don't really need it. And before I disabled cloud saving through Steam, some kind of glitch with the saves caused me to lose a couple dozen hours of progress on one game. So it's not something I would use.

That being said, I'm sure there are others who would appreciate cloud saving. It has been requested in the past. I don't know whether or not it's something Shadow would be interested in integrating with his games. If not, I think it would be worth pursuing as a third-party program.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry I'm slow in responding sometimes. I haven't thought a lot about cloud saving yet.
Patreon
Old 03-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Amateur

Thanks for the info, Joku! Much appreciated.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me on Torchlight 2 with Steam Cloud. That's why I'm going to include an archive feature that let's you browse previous save states. And you can configure when it syncs, what it syncs, etc. All the fine details that Steam Cloud hides from you. There'll be an automatic mode for people who don't want to mess with anything, of course.

Shadow, if you are ever interested, I'm planning on making either a public API for it, or command line arguments that will allow the EXE to be packaged with apps and called silently. Just let me know!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Elite

An exe would be completely useless to some of us. Soldak games are tri-platform. I'm on a mac.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
An exe would be completely useless to some of us. Soldak games are tri-platform. I'm on a mac.
Yeah, I have considered that. Unfortunately, cross-platform development is not a skill I've acquired yet. Everything I've made runs on either Windows desktop (WPF) or Windows Universal Platform (desktop/phone/XBox).

Perhaps I'll look into developing with Mono in the near future.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Amateur

In case anyone's interested, I now have a beta version of this application (now called Game Cloud) up for download at http://translucency.info/?Downloads.

It's a portable EXE, so Windows only.