Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative 2 > Drox Operative 2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2021, 06:37 AM
Expert

Default Confused about the meaning of some terms in game files

So I decided to try and unlock the subraces legitly this time instead of using a mod like I did in Drox 1. After spending a good few days trying to divine only by means of game interactions all the conditions required to make the various subrace quests appear and getting absolutely nowhere I finally gave up and went to read the game files.

Now I think I got most of the details figured out, but the specifics of some of the terms used in the code still elude me. If anyone, possibly the dev, can clarify exactly what these mean, I'd be grateful.

In fact, I'd be so grateful that I'll write the first ever full and complete guide to unlock every single subrace with all details possible so that people can use it in Drox 1, 2, 3, 4, 100 and forever (unless they get changed later, of course). But only after I finish unlocking all the subraces in my game because I need to check if I actually understand the code or if I'm retarded and only think I do (could very well be the latter).

These are the terms that confuse me:

In races.gdb one can find RandomQuestName and the associated RandomQuestChance
Are these checked periodically or only when starting a sector or what?

In quests.gdb these appear in consecutive lines on every quest: RandomQuestChance and RandomEventChance
What's the difference between these?

In quests.gdb one can find OnEventQuestName and the associated OnEventQuestChance
When exactly are these checked?

There's also this in both files: MinLevel
Whose level does this term take into account?
Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 AM
Expert

Additionally, there's this term CrossRaceChance. I thought it caused the quests that have this, mostly plagues and some people problems, to spread from one race to another but that doesn't seem to be it. Then what is it?
Old 10-08-2021, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

RandomQuestName/RandomQuestChance quests can be started at any time.

If I remember correctly RandomQuestChance is at the beginning of a sector and RandomEventChance is during a sector.

OnEventQuestName/OnEventQuestChance are checked every time the MinEventTime/MaxEventTime timer goes off.

Generally any MinLevel is going to get compared to the starting level of the entire sector or the specific system involved. Races will probably use the sector level. Quests probably use the system level (or something close).

CrossRaceChance is the chance to move over to another race.
Patreon
Old 10-09-2021, 09:56 AM
Expert

I see, thank you for the clarifications.

Since this is on topic I'll report it here: the CrossRaceChance, if I'm reading the chances correctly (1 is 100%, 0.25 is 25%, etc), is most likely not working.

A few days ago I spent like 2 or 3 days in a challenge sector trying to get Sentient AI. I started with Humans having a planet with Hallucino and another race having Computer Virus, so I figured I'd try and see if the Virus crossed over. Took me a handful hours to set everything up, then I had Humans and the other race, each with around 25 planets and at any given time I had Hallucino on 15+ Human planets and Computer Virus on 10+ planets of the other race. Never once in those 2 or 3 days did I see any plague cross between races. I also never saw Sentient AI cause another Sentient AI but I didn't get a lot of those quests.

They also never allied with one another, I think they got stuck at non-aggression pact, I don't know if being allied is a requirement. Eventually I gave up and decided to restart the challenge until it started with Computer Virus on a Human planet.

I also never saw Hallucino cause any Biological Accident, but I reported this on the other thread.

Additionally, there's a term in quests.gdb that doesn't seem important to what I'm doing but I see it everywhere and I have no idea what it does, so now I'm curious about it: VariantChance

Last edited by firecat666 : 10-09-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat666 View Post
Additionally, there's a term in quests.gdb that doesn't seem important to what I'm doing but I see it everywhere and I have no idea what it does, so now I'm curious about it: VariantChance
VariantChance basically allows a quest to start a base quest like BaseQuestPlague and it will randomly pick one of the actual plague quests using the VariantChance value from each of the plague quests.
Patreon