Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative 2 > Drox Operative 2
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2021, 10:06 AM
Amateur

Default Some suggestions on marines, weapons, monsters and UI

Just some friendly suggestions.

-Right now, you can link/bind up to four weapons together to a single key. The way the UI does this is by allowing you to place additional weapons into a 1x3 matrix above the "main" weapon. Could this be expanded to a 2x3 or even 3x3 matrix? This would just be a quality-of-life change, since it wouldn't imbalance anything other than requiring pressing fewer keys.

-I have six marines. I send them all to one enemy, but only four show up as aboard. What happened? I have sufficient energy. Is there a hard limit on marine boarders? Is it that they were all aboard, but the UI didn't show all of them since other status effects were active on that same enemy? I have no idea what's happening here, and regardless of the reason, it'd be good if the UI told me what's going on. If it's just a UI display issue, consider expanding the number of status effects that can be actively visible for any particular enemy.

-If there is a hard limit on marine boarding: how about taking that out? Marines are fun!

-I can't always tell which enemies are monsters and which are ships (which is important for using marines). I thought it was if the name had male or female, but the Wardens are also apparently not ships, and they don't have those labels.

-If I've selected a friendly ship, I can no longer see its intentions. Could that be fixed?

-On the Status screen for a planet, what do the ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc) mean? If a planet's value is "2nd," does that mean 2nd in that race? In the system or the sector? And is it 2nd out of the known planets for that race or sector, or is out of all, including unknown planets?

-If a race is at war with me, I can't view its Status screen unless I use the map. I can't tell if this is intentional or not, or if it's a fixable UI issue.

Last edited by SirReptile : 10-09-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:25 PM
Expert

I'll try to help with some things I know:

"-I have six marines(...)" There's a limit to how many status icons are displayed, at least for planets, and it's higher than four (like eight or something).

"-I can't always tell which enemies are monsters(...)" Me neither! But if you open the Shipyard screen (default Y), you can see all the different monster ships (they all belong to Talon, Legion and Overlord races). I've only used marines a little but from the lore all Talons are living, sentient ships, thus can't be boarded and Legion are a rebellious Utopian faction, thus have manned ships that can be boarded (I think). Not sure about Overlord. Talon ships are in the second row, third and fourth are Legion and Overlord. At the bottom row there are more monster ships, the three on the left are Talon, the first three on the right seem to be Overlord, and then three Legion.

"-On the Status screen for a planet(...)" The numbers are the ranking of that planet's resource production/total worth among all planets of that race (in the whole sector). I don't know if it includes planets you don't know. You can try opening the Planets screen (default P) and doing some comparing to figure that out.
Old 10-09-2021, 07:14 PM
Amateur

Thank you! That's all very useful information.

About the marines, I typically inflict several status effects before sending in the boarding party, so it makes sense I wouldn't see all of them if displaying eight effect images is the max. I wish something in the UI would indicate that all of them were aboard though.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReptile View Post
About the marines, I typically inflict several status effects before sending in the boarding party, so it makes sense I wouldn't see all of them if displaying eight effect images is the max. I wish something in the UI would indicate that all of them were aboard though.
There should be a flashing B on their icon that shows they have boarded an enemy.
Patreon