Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I think what Shadow means is that the code has diverged too much from DoP. Shadow's codebase started with DoP, then evolved to Kivi, and then again evolved into DC's codebase, as more and more features were added. Porting stuff like multiplayer, which was only added in Kivi, back to DoP, would probably really involve porting DoP to the new DC codebase, and that would take considerable effort and time.

Quite a bit more time would be needed to add the right amount of features to call it an expansion and to adjust multiplayer for the complicated situations of DoP (as you noted), and all of this work would need to be funded by the low price of an expansion, which has a smaller audience than a full game.
Yeah, I guess.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Amateur

Although there is one thing about din's curse that stinks, nobody is ever on a multiplayer game! I get on and do multiplayer with my friend but theres not ever any other servers.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
...which has a smaller audience than a full game.
That is not necessarily true. If an expansion generates enough buzz and introduces enough new stuff it might actually cause people who had not bought the original yet to buy the original plus the expansion. I've seen this happen. So you have the people who have the original that will likely buy the expansion, and sales for the original might pick up because it's been 'freshened up' by the expansion.
Anyway, I see what you mean. Personally I'm hoping for at least one more DoP patch to fix current issues, and perhaps (if possible) add the new camera perspective option. But, if it's gonna be DoP2, I'm up for that too.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maledictus View Post
That is not necessarily true. If an expansion generates enough buzz and introduces enough new stuff it might actually cause people who had not bought the original yet to buy the original plus the expansion. I've seen this happen. So you have the people who have the original that will likely buy the expansion, and sales for the original might pick up because it's been 'freshened up' by the expansion.
That's a really good point. I myself only found DC because the expansion made people in forums and fidgit discuss it again. Also, an expansion might be better than a sequel money-wise since a DoP sequel would make the original DoP obsolete, while an expansion would, as you say, make people buy the original too. Also, people demand a LOT of new stuff for a sequel, and small studios like Soldak need to recycle their assets (models, textures, animations) as much as they can to reduce the costs, which IS acceptable for expansions. So now I think Shadow should perhaps consider porting DoP back to the DC engine. Doing so would allow adding at least basic multiplayer, and the dungeons could probably use Din's dungeon engine fairly easily (though with only 1-2 levels). That could be a mini-expansion.

A sequel might be a better fit for a game like Kivi. The casual direction wasn't so successful, and perhaps Kivi can be taken in other directions, like having procedural plots or maybe even starting to build parts with a turn-based engine.