Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Champion

Default Someone needs to play Space Rangers 2

Since it does pretty much everything mentioned. It even ditches levels and doesn't attach ship types to levels, and thus allows interesting things to happen instead of LEV0L TEN GOTS BATTLESHIPZ.

Being realtime is always an improvement, of course, but hopefully there won't be a) a strong story or b) fantasy-style itemisation. The EV series would have been a hell of a lot better if it was a dynamic world like Space Rangers (and Dins) and wasn't shoehorned into a derivative story of scifi cliche lameness.

Last edited by pnakotus : 05-07-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

I have been playing some Space Rangers 2 lately. I think we will have some things in common, but overall I think our game will play quite a bit different.
Patreon
Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Elite

Starscape is another little 2-d style Space Game that handled upgrades and different ships interestingly. Relatively simple game, but I think they are some great things to be gleaned from it.

Same people that brought you Mr. Robot.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Now that I have actually played Space Rangers 2 some, what do you guys feel are the best parts? What parts of SR2 would like to see in another game? Which parts do you not care for?
Patreon
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Champion

It's been years since I played, but the text adventures, arcade shoot-em-up combat mode, and ground RTS battles were nothing more than a novelty and didn't add much to the game. I never managed to complete a scenario because it would take too long to get advanced enough to make a difference in the world. I'd end up getting all caught up trying to advance my character while wasting time on the huge breadth of activities in the game. It would all carry on for so long that the game would wear out its welcome and I'd stop playing before I made any impact on the game universe. I mean, if I spend half my evening trying to get out of prison by winning the cockroach races then that doesn't leave much time for upgrading my ship at all.

I loved the liveliness of the universe. There were always things going on in every system. You were always making decisions about who to help, where to go, and what tasks to take on. They did a great job of giving the player a steady stream of interesting choices and opportunities.

Different topic, but I played through the demo in Starpoint Gemini last night. It looks like they made a very interesting and complete universe, but the core gameplay just isn't as involving as it should be IMO. A bit more ARPG or even space rangers influence would have helped. The interface also left a bad impression although I heard its better in the latest version of the released game. I wish the graphics were a bit more inspiring as well. It looks like it could be an interesting game, but not necessarily a very fun game.

SPAZ should be coming out today along with a demo. I'll be trying it out tonight assuming there aren't any delays!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Expert

Quote:
I mean, if I spend half my evening trying to get out of prison by winning the cockroach races then that doesn't leave much time for upgrading my ship at all.
This! This is why SR2 is great -- because it's crazy and surprising and doesn't take itself too seriously.

That said, it can also be incredibly frustrating. The universe sort of levels up at its own pace (which is cool) and you can quickly lag behind. I always felt underpowered after a while -- I could no longer take on Dominators or pirates, nor could I make enough money to properly upgrade my ship.

Ultimately, I loved the freedom the game allowed. I only played SR2 for the first time recently, so it reminded me of Mount and Blade in space -- basically, you can do what you want. They provide and overarching plot, some side-stories, and a living world, but ultimately you create your own personal narrative and affect the world however you choose.

Other things I liked:
  • How you can enlist temporary help from ships that are close by and how the AI can do the same.
  • How you can scan the news channel or use the search to find people/equipment.
  • How, if you have the skill level, you can recruit other rangers to your party.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarstad View Post
  • How you can enlist temporary help from ships that are close by and how the AI can do the same.
  • How you can scan the news channel or use the search to find people/equipment.
  • How, if you have the skill level, you can recruit other rangers to your party.
Here are a few additions from the top of my head.
  • Dynamic world. Dominators can attack and take over a zone at any time. If you are fast enough you may have a chance to help defend it. It actually feels like the rest of the universe is going about its own business. You can help fund space stations to provide nearby convinces or protect a certain sector.
  • Unique upgrades and a variety of weapons/ships
  • Variety of alien species that have different diplomatic relationships with you.
  • An appealing visual style that doesn't take itself too seriously.
  • Variety of possible activities. Trading, randomly generated missions, pirating, pirate hunting or dominator hunting.
  • The zones feel full of plants and stations that have purpose. There isn't too much empty space. In some space games I feel like I'm just waiting for my warp drive to recharge while I sit isolated in space.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Champion

Any spaceship game that doesn't at least have a dynamic economy and NPCs and emergent events (stuff that Soldak does well already) is a total waste of time. After my first game of SR2, funding the international war with the profits from mid-battle ninja looting and seeing new tech roll out faster and the coalition start to turn the tide, any spaceship game without that level of interaction was totally boring.

With the paid patch that Russia had years ago (Reboot), the faction system actually worked and was a really impressive part of the game for the subtle way it worked; pirates would be isntantly gangraped by a posse of truckers upon entering systems, guys who do missions would often have locals volunteer their assistance, etc.

One of the big things that I think any similar game needs to keep in mind is the way SR2 handled communications. The player could 'hear' all conversations going on in the system, even outside radar range, so while it was totally ignorable, all the interesting AI stuff (like pirates pirating, guys talking about trade, military guys rallying up, and rangers coming and going) was exposed rather than hidden by the fog of war. Similarly, the Space Google was excellent; being able to find all that world information (and being exposed to the 'news') was great for showing off the emergent nature of the game - right down to reporting the pirate you forced to land getting arrested.

From Soldak, I'd expect much more awesome stuff like the game I had where the coalition was divided in two very early on and I was stuck in the four-system corner with no possible escape, funding military expansion with ninja looting in invasion battles and hoping a black hole appeared so I could return to the safer areas. It's worth noting that SR2 didn't use ship hull types as levels, but rather class, with different hulls having different capabilities and roles. All the crazy stuff you could find (and the tech-level based size/price tradeoffs) made ship equipment way more interesting than in many other games, where you get the build you want and essentially never change it.

Stealing ideas from EVE is probably a good idea too, particularly the security system to allow players to actively 'consent' to the more dangerous areas and the ability to 'own' essentially everything in the game. In SR2, having stations and whole fleets named after you in a war against crazy robots was excellent.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Legend

pnakotus, this is what I mean is the problem with the space genre: games like SR2 have already been made. SR2 is pretty much what Soldak is planning, except maybe less focused (too much trying to be everything to everyone) and not realtime. In order to compete, Soldak has to create a game that's got everything good SR2 has, except better. And even then, it'll be compared to SR2 -- it won't be exploring a new niche like DC or DoP.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Champion

What are you talking about? Din's probably sold more copies than SR2 did before SR2 came to DD. It'll be 'compared' to SR2 the same way that Din's is compared to Titan's Quest or Torchlight or Diablo or whatever, and it'll probably come off better for the same reasons.

Is there any reason why it can't be a dynamic spaceship game that's better than SR2 (beyond the lack of 'space English')?

Sadly SPAZ is much more like Starscape than SR2 or EVE or whatever, and is thus much less interesting. It also uses ship hulls as leveling, rather than class, and is thus pretty bland. You unlock all the lightest hulls in the first level! Where is the endgame rogue fighter with an emphasis on dps and agility, aside from 'in EVE'?