Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Sarkazein Sarkazein is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Default Need some tips on hybrid-classing...

Heya,

NOTE: I'm using Bluddy's Balance Mod, and I have DW.

So, I thought I'd try out hybrid-classing and rolled an Archer/Gladiator. Wanted a melee DPS type class with the ability to use ranged weaponry and get better returns on Dexterity points. However, I'm finding myself putting more and more skill points into the Gladiator side of things and going sword and board more often than not.

I do enjoy being able to run around shooting arrows at crowds if I get overwhelmed. I did find out that I can use most of the Gladiator abilities with a bow (they're still only melee range) but I'm wondering if they maybe don't do as much damage? Ive seen that in other games before.

Unfortunately, I've been noticing that my damage output doesn't seem to be keeping up (both melee and ranged). I'm level 13 and it still takes several hits to kill mobs that are around level 8-9... I'm also missing a lot, even though I've been putting most of my points in STR and DEX... And I'm not finding very many good bows.


Anyway, my question is this: Is Archer/Gladiator even a truly viable class mix? My original thought was something that can melee, relying on evasion rather than plate, and fall back to ranged as needed. However, I find myself munching on food and potions in almost any group confrontation, even if the mobs are below my level... I've been upgrading my gear as much as possible, and splitting most of my points between DEX and STR, with a few in VIT every so often.

Should I bail on this one? I've read that Trickster or Ice Mage are good things to cross-class with, but I'm not super familiar with the classes yet, except from reading through http://www.stephenhornback.com/id85.html and my experience with DoP.

Or should I stick with a pure class?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
DeathKnight1728's Avatar
DeathKnight1728 DeathKnight1728 is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Joisey
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkazein View Post
Heya,

NOTE: I'm using Bluddy's Balance Mod, and I have DW.

So, I thought I'd try out hybrid-classing and rolled an Archer/Gladiator. Wanted a melee DPS type class with the ability to use ranged weaponry and get better returns on Dexterity points. However, I'm finding myself putting more and more skill points into the Gladiator side of things and going sword and board more often than not.

I do enjoy being able to run around shooting arrows at crowds if I get overwhelmed. I did find out that I can use most of the Gladiator abilities with a bow (they're still only melee range) but I'm wondering if they maybe don't do as much damage? Ive seen that in other games before.

Unfortunately, I've been noticing that my damage output doesn't seem to be keeping up (both melee and ranged). I'm level 13 and it still takes several hits to kill mobs that are around level 8-9... I'm also missing a lot, even though I've been putting most of my points in STR and DEX... And I'm not finding very many good bows.


Anyway, my question is this: Is Archer/Gladiator even a truly viable class mix? My original thought was something that can melee, relying on evasion rather than plate, and fall back to ranged as needed. However, I find myself munching on food and potions in almost any group confrontation, even if the mobs are below my level... I've been upgrading my gear as much as possible, and splitting most of my points between DEX and STR, with a few in VIT every so often.

Should I bail on this one? I've read that Trickster or Ice Mage are good things to cross-class with, but I'm not super familiar with the classes yet, except from reading through http://www.stephenhornback.com/id85.html and my experience with DoP.

Or should I stick with a pure class?
Go with trickster/hunter. Use daggers when up close with grace, and throw shurikens at enemies from afar. Its really a great class.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Isshy Isshy is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Default

Reaver plus anything is the conclusion I am coming to. Two Handed Mastery plus Ravage is awesome. Plus he can wear plate. I have the feeling Defender can be great but would take quite a bit of skill to get the most out of it seeing as most everything is situation dependent.

I don't care much for Trickster. Stealth is great for 5 seconds then it's useless. Smoke screen is awesome. The rest is average. Obviously I am in the minority here however

Hmm I think I may try a Reaver/Reaver Hybrid. Cheaper Two Handed Mastery muwahaha! In truth I am rolling a Reaver/Shaman. Gonna try pumping Champion and Hardiness to augment the Reaver.


P.S-Paladins should be able to wear plate!

Last edited by Isshy : 06-16-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Antigrav's Avatar
Antigrav Antigrav is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45
Default

You can hold out for better weapons. I find that when I have a hybrid with fairly equal melee and ranged options, the one that dominates is the one with the better weapon. With the right melee weapon, your bow becomes a barrel and door opener, and likewise with the right bow, your axe becomes a backup for when you run into groups or get tired of kiting.

Have you put points into cleave? It's very useful. It hits fewer monsters than ravage and whirlwind but it's cheaper and easier to level up to a positive damage modifier. Plus, like the other two, it's practically instant.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Sarkazein Sarkazein is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Default

Thanks for the pointers, guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigrav View Post
You can hold out for better weapons. I find that when I have a hybrid with fairly equal melee and ranged options, the one that dominates is the one with the better weapon. With the right melee weapon, your bow becomes a barrel and door opener, and likewise with the right bow, your axe becomes a backup for when you run into groups or get tired of kiting.

Have you put points into cleave? It's very useful. It hits fewer monsters than ravage and whirlwind but it's cheaper and easier to level up to a positive damage modifier. Plus, like the other two, it's practically instant.
Yeah, that's sorta what I've been noticing... I'll find a really nice bow and I'll use that for a while, then I'll find a good melee weapon and swap to that.

I've been a little random with my point allocation (not too much, but I've been focusing on some of the passives, like the Gladiator Focus abilities and the Archer dodge). I've been using Savage Strike a good bit, and I've started leveling up Cleave. Do you eventually get more skill points per level? Cleave's a higher-tier ability and the skill point cost is killing me :/

I think I'll keep going with this char for a while, but I may start a secondary... Looks like Reaver + something is a good pick... maybe mage or some other magic-based class. I hear they're good at destroying groups and groups seem to be DC's specialty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Antigrav's Avatar
Antigrav Antigrav is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45
Default

Cleave (gladiator, hits two targets) and ravage (reaver, hits up to three targets) both start at 4 skill points. The difference is in how they scale up. Three levels of cleave is already giving a +14% damage bonus while three levels of ravage give +1%. I imagine the weaponmaster's whirlwind, which hits up to five targets, takes longer? But it starts at 8 points so I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Isshy Isshy is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigrav View Post
Cleave (gladiator, hits two targets) and ravage (reaver, hits up to three targets) both start at 4 skill points. The difference is in how they scale up. Three levels of cleave is already giving a +14% damage bonus while three levels of ravage give +1%. I imagine the weaponmaster's whirlwind, which hits up to five targets, takes longer? But it starts at 8 points so I'm not sure.
This is true regarding Cleave/Ravage, but three strikes at 1% is better than two strikes at 14% imho. Plus the Reaver gets the weapon mastery while the Gladiator doesn't and that makes all the difference. I haven't played a WW Weaponmaster so I can't really comment on that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Bluddy Bluddy is offline
Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,060
Default

Hi Sarkazein, you may want to check out the latest version of the mod. Thanks to your thread here, I've gone back and checked the archer class's performance. I've changed the class somewhat to fix what I felt were some of its weaknesses, and lower mana costs in this version of the mod should also help.

While archer and gladiator don't mesh together that well, they should have enough going to do fine, especially through the early game (which level 13 still is). If you still have issues, you could post on the mod thread and let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Sarkazein Sarkazein is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Hi Sarkazein, you may want to check out the latest version of the mod. Thanks to your thread here, I've gone back and checked the archer class's performance. I've changed the class somewhat to fix what I felt were some of its weaknesses, and lower mana costs in this version of the mod should also help.
Wow, I didn't expect this to prompt a new version of your mod! I looked at the change notes you posted and it looks like quite a welcome buff for archers. I'll agree that I was a bit underwhelmed by the early Archer abilities before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
While archer and gladiator don't mesh together that well, they should have enough going to do fine, especially through the early game (which level 13 still is). If you still have issues, you could post on the mod thread and let me know.
Yeah, on closer inspection I think I could have picked a better combo. I'm still hoping that the Gladiator's defensive abilities help out more over time. I think the Gladiator's Focus passives are helping my archery skills (Damage bonus unless I get swarmed, then Armor for that). Also Crushing Blow, or are ranged attacks immune to crushing blows? (Still getting used to the skills system in DC).

I did end up rolling a secondary Reaver/Ice Mage and that's been working out rather well. I'll have to swap back and see how my Archer/Gladiator works now. I'll swap some ability points over to archery and try some things out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Isshy Isshy is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Default

So I downloaded the 3 mastery hybrid mod and have been having loads of fun with my Reaver/Shaman/Thief. I felt the hybrids missed out on the stat bonuses. The only skill I am taking from the Thief class is Treasure Hunter (which actually makes him weaker as those points could go elsewhere). I figured it was a fair tradeoff. Hardiness and Protection make him really hard to kill and Champion helps him really mow down bosses. He is level 24 with no deaths as yet (knock on wood)

EDIT: Ah well he is 43 with two deaths now

Last edited by Isshy : 06-25-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.