Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default VCR vs. DVD

Yeah, yeah, I know we are now making the transition from DVD to Blu-Ray, but I'm really starting to miss VCR tapes (in some ways at least).

I still have some movies where, imagine this, I stick the tape in, there is a short logo animation and then the movie actually starts. This was great, but I'm not surprised at all that this has gone away completely.

The rest of the VCR movies have advertisements of course, but if I don't want to watch them the VCR has this great feature called fast forward. On a VCR this just works. I hit the button and it actually fast forwards.

Yes, in theory my DVD has fast forward also, but every time I put in a different DVD it's a little war between me and the stupid little disc on how to skip all of the ads for movies that I have already seen, know I don't want to watch ever, or I've already seen the commercial a million times. Occasionally fast forward actually works, sometimes skip forward will work, sometimes pressing the DVD menu button will work (except this skips everything), and sometimes you have no choice what so ever. Way too many DVDs disable at least one of these methods.

Just a little tip for people that make movies. When I have to fight the DVD to skip the commercials before your movie, I'm really annoyed when your movie starts. So the likelihood that I enjoy your movie has now gone down. I'll put this in more direct words. Your chances of getting money or more money from me just went down. This same thing goes for games that have intros that you can't skip.

Don't annoy your customers right before they use your product. That annoyance will carry over to the rest of your product.
Patreon
Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Expert

Uhm, commercials on dvd's ????? I've never seen those. (not counting the ones in the "extra content" section, usually on the second disk)

In fact, I would not tolerate such a thing at all, with or without a fast forward.

(And I don't remember having to put up with that in the VCR days either...)
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Elite

He means commercials for other movies. Previews or trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenMass View Post
Uhm, commercials on dvd's ????? I've never seen those. (not counting the ones in the "extra content" section, usually on the second disk)

In fact, I would not tolerate such a thing at all, with or without a fast forward.

(And I don't remember having to put up with that in the VCR days either...)