Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Expert

Default Storyline quests

I think there aren't that many storyline quests.
Also, it would be nice if, rather than unblocking the harder world when you reach level 25/xx/..., you'd unblock it when you finished all storyline quests, as the storyline quests are reset when you increase world difficulty.
I mean, when you kill the last boss in the storyline, it doesn't feel that special at all. It's a bit sad.
Finally, a 'Skip all' option for storyline quests would be nice too rather than skipping 2 warmaster quests, skipping one steward, etc. back and forth.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Expert

I agree about being able to skip all quests up to the current one.

However, I don't think the storyline plays an important role in the game. I mean, it is there, and it's a very interesting read, but you can disregard it entirely and focus more on fighting other Covenants or doing your own things.

For example, in my previous game, I had 6 groups of uniques all gathered up in Deadwood Forest (or is it Deadfall? - Can't remember, but it was a Level 15 zone). At the same time, a plague was raging in town, and the only cure was to collect 7 defender eyes from mobs in Deadwood Forest.

As a result, I pretty much made it my life's mission in that world to a) stop the plague and b) clear up the zone a little bit. That, to me, was often more important than the storyline - and the events that led to it were purely random!

With DoP's system of randomly generated quests, I think the storyline can often be what you want it to be.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Champion

I agree that you don't have to care about the story quests, and that the game is very fun without worrying about them. However, I also agree that finishing them was very disappointing. I figure that if story quests are in the game as one of many things to care about, then they should have a satisfying conclusion. Some ideas that would at least help a little, imo:

- At a minimum, give a center-of town reward chest similar to defeating other covenants. You did supposedly just save all of Jorvik, after all.

- Have town NPCs (vendors, quest givers) react to the fact that you've saved Jorvik, and maybe give discounts (reset on the new difficulty levels, of course).

- Have someone (probably the steward) teleport to where you are when you finally finish the story quests and congratulate you. He could also tell you about whatever extra rewards are in store for you. This would be the one place for a cut scene, if there ever would be one. In-engine exposition would be fine, too (maybe some fireworks ).

- Find some game-fiction justification for the different difficulty levels. This one is probably very hard, but would be really neat if it could be done.
Experience to extremes..." - RUSH, The Enemy Within
Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Champion

I just had a thought about an easy change to finishing the storyline quests that I think would be a very nice addition. The game opens up overall difficulty levels every 25 character levels. It's based on levels because the story quests are optional, de-emphasizing the RPG aspects and emphasizing the strategy/action aspects of the game.

What about allowing players to play on the higher difficulties based on an OR fuction?

- You've hit level 50 -> you get the third difficulty available.
OR
- You've finished the storyline on the 2nd difficulty -> you get the 3rd available.

I just finished the storyline with my lvl 42 mage. If the second option existed, I would be somewhat rewarded by being allowed to play at the next level a little sooner than I will otherwise be able to (still my choice, it's not a requirement, just an opportunity).

As it is, I'm going to be stuck with nothing new to do except pure level grinding 'till I hit 50 and can start the story over again. This idea could motivate RPG-focussed players without affecting non-RPG players at all.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Expert

Yes, that's what I ment when I wrote this:
Quote:
it would be nice if, rather than unblocking the harder world when you reach level 25/xx/..., you'd unblock it when you finished all storyline quests, as the storyline quests are reset when you increase world difficulty.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Champion

Yes I know, but I think the important distinction is to not tie difficulty increases ONLY to finishing the story quests. It's obvious that the advancements are tied to level because the game is intended to be more action-oriented than RPG-oriented.

So I guess my incredibly amazing, earth-shatteringly innovative addition to your idea was ... the word OR.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiCesare
...when you kill the last boss in the storyline, it doesn't feel that special at all. It's a bit sad.
I also thought it was disappointing that nothing happened when you killed Draaien. A special chest or some fireworks in Jorvik would of been nice.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not disagreeing with you guys and I'll probably add something extra when you kill him, but there is something available when you finally kill Draaien. It's just a secret and no one has figured it out yet.
Patreon
Old 11-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Expert

Is it the same secret that apparently can be found hidden in one of the stories Shadow? Please do tell.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it is the same secret. So that's two hints so far.
Patreon