Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default Hybrid class system

Change is becoming a common theme, and now it's time for the class system. In our upcoming dungeon crawl, we will have 6 main, fully fledged classes with 3 specialties, each offering 10 skills for a total of 30 unique skills for every class. So far this is similar to how our first game, Depths of Peril, worked. The major difference is that instead of picking a full class, you can choose a hybrid class!

The advantage and disadvantage of hybrid classes are one and the same- you choose any 2 specialties you want from the 6 main classes. You have a lot of freedom to choose any combination, however, you end up with less skills than a full class has (20 instead of 30). It's the penalty of pursuing two completely different specialties at the same time.

Each specialty has 10 unique skills and/or spells, and also has a number of basic armor and weapon skills (these don't count against the 10 skills). So picking your specialties is a decision about what armor, weapons, and skills you want to be able to use.

Do you want to play a plate mail wearing mage type of character? You can do that. Do you want to have healing spells and be able to pick locks? You can! Do you want to summon fantastical creatures, but still stand toe to toe with monsters in a fight? You should be able to do that too.

Yes I am being a bit vague on the classes. I think I have settled on what the 6 classes and 18 specialties are going to be, but the skills are still very much in flux.

As an aside, with our hybrid classes, I just made what should be an easy interview question much harder. Often we get questions like "How many classes will your game have?" With Depths of Peril this is an easy answer-4. In Kivi's Underworld this question got harder. There are 22 classes total, but they aren't full classes. They each have 2 unique skills and work a bit more like a gauntlet character (they aren't meant to be full fledged character classes). In the dungeon crawl, the full answer is we have 6 main classes, 18 specialty classes, and a possibility of 141 different class combinations (6 full classes and 135 hybrid combinations that make sense).

As usual comments are welcome.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Elite

I'm really excited about the possibilities!

I already know the first combo I'm going to try- priest/warrior. Those were my two faves from Depths of Peril days. Of course that doesn't take into account the new classes.

I suspect I'm going to have several 'main' characters I'll play regularly.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Because of how it works there are actually 6 priest/warrior combos. So there's even a lot of options when you narrow it down to 2 main classes.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Expert

Priest was my favorite in DoP, just because of the survivability.
In my eyes, character development is one of the key aspects in an RPG.
All these choices are going to drive me insane :P

I believe this codebase started with Kivi, but the game is going to resemble DoP much more.... and with this post being on classes, I find this a suiting place for my question =]

From a modding perspective, will the classes be soft (IE: Kivi) or hard (IE: DoP)?

Last edited by Guenwhyever : 09-11-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Smileys D:
Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guenwhyever View Post
I believe this codebase started with Kivi, but the game is going to resemble DoP much more.... and with this post being on classes, I find this a suiting place for my question =]

From a modding perspective, will the classes be soft (IE: Kivi) or hard (IE: DoP)?
All 3 games use the same engine. It just gets upgraded for each game.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by soft or hard. The classes will be full classes with lots of skills and choices like DoP is, but they will be much more moddable like Kivi is.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Elite

I think what Guenwhyever might have been wondering is will the player be able to mod their own classes?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

That was the 2nd half of my answer. Classes will be very modifiable and you should be able to add new classes fairly easily similar to Kivi.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Elite

Oh, right! For some reason when I saw mod, I didn't think make. I think people will really enjoy making their own classes!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Expert

Interesting. Sounds like a nice compromise, where we've still got plenty of freedom (141 class combinations), but AREN'T just facing a big messy soup of skills (where we can pick anything from anywhere). And I like the cost/benefit in the choice of single class vs. multiclass. Should be a fun choice to make.

Do different specialties within a class have different armor/weapon skills? If so, how will that work if I pick a "pure" class and get access to all three specialties? Do I get access to all the different armor and weapons? Or are those skills I have to "buy" with skill points (or whatever), and so I'll probably end up specializing anyway?

Or should I just shut up and wait 'till you post more details?

Ooh, hey, I just noticed "summon fantastical creatures" in your examples. Sweet. I've always loved summoning classes.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCarlos View Post
Do different specialties within a class have different armor/weapon skills? If so, how will that work if I pick a "pure" class and get access to all three specialties? Do I get access to all the different armor and weapons? Or are those skills I have to "buy" with skill points (or whatever), and so I'll probably end up specializing anyway?
Yes, different specialties within the same class do have different armor and weapon skills. Most of these skills are just basic skills that you automatically get, can't put any skill points into, and allows you to equip that type of item.

This doesn't really effect the pure classes much, they simply get access to all the armor/weapon basic skills from all 3 specialties. This impacts hybrids more. Let's use a priest/warrior type hybrid like Delilah wants to play as an example. If you pick the weaponmaster warrior specialty, you get access to lots of weapon types. However, if you pick the defender warrior specialty, you get less weapon access, but more armor access.

There are a couple armor skills that you can use skill points on though and a bunch of weapon mastery skills. So there are ways for some of the classes/specialties to focus on one weapon type if they want to.