Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Default Hybrid class system 2

See part 1 here.

I originally thought that we were going to have a couple of disadvantages by using a hybrid class system. In Depths of Peril, each of our classes had a distinct type of mana that worked differently. The warrior had rage, the rogue had momentum, the priest had faith, and the mage had mana. Each of the DoP classes also received different stat amounts per attribute point. Warriors get more damage per point of strength, rogues get more attack per point of dexterity, etc. These differences really helped each class feel and play a bit different. I was sorry to see that it looked like these types of differences might go away (and from some forum comments I'm not the only one).

Luckily, I figured out how to still keep these differences and support hybrid classes at the same time. Actually they make hybrids even more interesting. Instead of the mana type and stats per attribute stuff being a part of the class itself, they are now skills that each specialty has. Most of the time these are skills that the specialty starts with, but in a few cases they are normal skills that you can put skill points into.

Let's take the warrior class as an example. In Depths of Peril, the warrior uses rage as his power source and gets lots of damage, attack, and health from attributes. In Din's Curse, the warrior class is split into the weaponmaster, gladiator, and defender specialties.

The weaponmaster, receives extra attack per dexterity, extra damage per strength, and gains mana on each successful hit.

The gladiator, receives extra attack per dexterity, extra damage per strength, extra health per vitality, and gains mana when hit.

The defender, receives extra damage per strength, extra health per vitality, and gains mana when he or she blocks or parries a blow.

Basically, in Din's Curse the warrior still uses rage and has high damage, attack, and health from attributes except this time it is split across the 3 specialties. When playing a hybrid with part warrior, you will work with part rage and whatever the other specialty has. You will also get some of the warrior attribute bonuses. Which bonuses and mana generation you get depends on which of the 3 specialties you choose. If health is your main concern, then the gladiator or defender are you best choices. If pure damage is what you want, then the weaponmaster or gladiator is the
best.

Picking your 2 specialties is a decision based on skills, weapons, armor, mana regeneration, and stat bonuses. Of course you can always just pick one of the 6 full classes or hit the random hybrid button.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Expert

Sounds really cool. I like the way this and other decisions you've made basically give raw numerical advantages to pure classes (gain mana three ways instead of two, more armor/weapon choices, more benefits from stat points). This sort of makes the hybrids the "advanced" classes, where the benefits come not from doing more damage per strength point (for instance), but from skillful play and creative character builds.

Typically, warrior-style "mana building" systems like you described have mana slowly drain outside combat, so the "neutral" state is zero mana. While wizard-style systems have mana gradually build over time, so the neutral state is full mana. Will you be doing one of those? Both? How? I guess mana could neither drain nor grow naturally, and only do whatever is dictated by the specialties. Like you said, it's just one more interesting thing to consider when creating your character.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCarlos View Post
Typically, warrior-style "mana building" systems like you described have mana slowly drain outside combat, so the "neutral" state is zero mana. While wizard-style systems have mana gradually build over time, so the neutral state is full mana. Will you be doing one of those? Both? How? I guess mana could neither drain nor grow naturally, and only do whatever is dictated by the specialties. Like you said, it's just one more interesting thing to consider when creating your character.
Yeah, I can't do rage fully like it is in DoP. What happens is that mana builds over time for everyone, but the default is pretty slow. So for warriors the rage type things overshadow the slow mana build. There is no losing of rage though. The mage specialties on the other hand have mana regen bonuses and a huge bonus when using mana potions.

So the mana gen stuff doesn't work in such a pure way like in DoP, but it's close and it works when you combine any specialties together.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Amateur

Will each class have a trick for gaining mana (or whatever it is called for the class) like the Warrior? Also, will there be more than one pool (like a rage & mana pool) for Hybrid classes?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerytykeys View Post
Will each class have a trick for gaining mana (or whatever it is called for the class) like the Warrior?
Each class/specialty has different types of mana generation. The warrior just happens to be the one I used as an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerytykeys View Post
Also, will there be more than one pool (like a rage & mana pool) for Hybrid classes?
There is only one pool called mana. I decided that having multiple pools would just make things really complicated.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Elite

This is going to be cool to see in action. Awesome!

I'll probably start with a priest/warrior hybrid, but I think it'd be fun to play a bunch of random hybrids. I'm going to have so much fun with the random button!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Amateur

This is starting to sound very interesting. Being able to mix and match modes of mana regeneration will add some very interesting decisions to the hybrid picking game. I'm envisioning something like a warrior(defender)/mage of some sort that sits there in plate armor getting hit to build up mana and constantly spewing out spells.

A bit off topic, but the different mana thing reminds me a lot of the different modes of space travel in the strategy game Sword of the Stars. There it was a very effective way to vary up the game experience between races. The idea of mixing types of travel would be pretty interesting in that game too