Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Kivi's Underworld > Kivi's Underworld game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Legend

Default Problems starting up..Need Help!

Hi, I haven't played kivi's underworld in a long while. Mostly because it stopped working. I tried to play it again and now everytime i start the game up it comes up with this:

Critical Error-Failed display setup.

I've tried reading the manual but it is too technical for me. I'll admit that im not very computer savvy. If anyone can give me instructions on how to fix this, i would be very grateful; at this point though its really getting to be very annoying.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post

Critical Error-Failed display setup.
You can reset your display settings back to the default by moving or deleting the user.cfg file out of your Kivi's Underworld\User folder. That will force the game to start up with the standard 1024x768 resolution and graphics options. Hopefully that will sort you out.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

That error means the basic setting up of the graphics window failed for some reason. Some things you can try are update your graphics drivers, make sure you are using the latest game version, restart your computer, change the r_width and r_height variables in your user.cfg file to better resolutions, or change the game to run in a window by changing r_fullscreen to 0 in user.cfg.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Legend

I appreciate the advice, the only problem is that a new problem has come up. Now it's saying this:

Kivi's underworld.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Does anyone know what to make of this, keep in mind i changed the display to default.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Elite

Firstly, I would recommend re-installing Kivi's Underworld from a backup setup file, and use the latest patch that you can download here. If you don't have a backup of your game's setup file, then Shadow may be able to help. He has been very helpful in the past to me personally when I had a similar problem. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
Kivi's underworld.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

This is a rather generic Windows error message that could mean any number of things. I would suggest (as Shadow recommends above) to update your video card driver to the latest version as a second attempt at remedy. If you don't know how to do this, get a friend or family member who is confident with maintaining the PC to help. If you can identify the specific model of your display adaptor, I could step you through this process too, if you would like.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Elite

So many people have had problems that were fixed by updating video card or sound drivers. Seriously! It's crazy simple when that's it.

Anyway, I hope you figure it out. I know it sucks when I can't get my new game to work and Steven has to spend gobs of time fiddling on my machine. (cough, cough, Diablo II... cough, cough WOW... cough, cough, Sacred)

Gee... sounds like I'm getting sick!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Legend

that's the thing though, I had the game installed when i downloaded it from the site. The game worked and i got pretty far, but then it just stopped working. Maybe it's because i don't have the disc. I never was supposed to have a disc. The game should work fine because depths of peril works fine as well. I even tested to see if it was the game, when last night i downloaded the demo and the demo of kivi's underworld worked fine. I don't think it is the video drivers at all because if that was the case then it would have never worked to begin with.

Does anyone know if there are any other possible things that are making the game from working?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

There are no disk checks in any version of any of our games right now so that's not the problem.

What do you mean exactly by you changed the display to default?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Legend

What i mean is that i went into control panel, from there went to screen adjustments. Went into adjust screen resolution changed it from 1024 by 768 pixels to default which is 800by600. From there the demo works but the game doesn't. I even changed it back to what is was for the game, but that doesn't help either. I should have never uninstalled the game. Could it be possible that because i downloaded the game from bmt, and the download contract which ended 6/19/09 said that if the game isn't installed by then; somehow the game doesn't work because the period for which it is supposed to be installed is up. Is that possibly the problem, because if that is the problem, then i will order the cd to get shipped.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, ok I understand what you mean now. It shouldn't change anything though.

That date you have is just how long you can download the installer from BMT and I can change it if need be. There isn't any date checking when installing or in the game so that's not a problem.

When does it crash? Right when you run the executable, when you try to resume your last game, or run a new adventure?