Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Elite

Default Stargate Universe, Your Plot Holes Make Me Cry

I have several good friends who love Stargate- the movie, SG1, Stargate Atlantis- the whole shebang. So awhile back I gave it a whirl and watched 5 seasons of SG1. Well.. It was okay except the way the character Samantha Carter was written set my teeth on edge. She was supposed to be super smart, but they wrote her like she was stupid. The worst episode for this was early on in season 1. A young man kidnapped her and sold her into slavery to the enemy's chief for the purpose of buying his "true love." At the end of the episode (after she escapes) she says she forgives him because it was for love. I'm sorry, but I don't care what the reason was for selling me into slavery, where I'll be beaten and raped. Umm, I will not forgive you, ever.

Now SGU, Stargate Universe is starting, a new tv series in the Stargate world. I thought, surely after two other shows they'll get it right. My good friends are excited about it, why not give it a chance? After watching the first episode I can definitively say, Stargate is not for me.

*** Spoilers Below ***

It was the plot holes I couldn't get over, two very large pieces of plot that didn't make a bit of sense.

1. "Captain, there's no way to shut the shuttle's door from the outside! Someone has to shut it from the inside and then die (because of a partially shielded hull breach)!" Ummm... Why would anyone make a vehicle that you couldn't open it's doors from the outside? Can you imagine if cars worked this way? Even if this absurdity was true, I'm supposed to believe there's no way to delay the door shutting for 15 or so seconds while you exit the vehicle? And even if this were true, I'm supposed to believe the two brilliant scientist guys can't think of and build a delayed mechanism to push the button? Hmmm... I don't think so.

2. You think that was bad? Wait for this- The CO2 scrubbers are kaput, worn out and full of gunk. But oh yeah, head scientist guy has found out from the computer that this super old ship was launched unmanned. That's right folks, no one has ever been aboard this ship since it launched (you see where I'm going with this?) and yet... And yet, the CO2 scrubbers are worn out FROM USE and full of gunk! Umm... No way? How, dare I ask, how is there a CO2 problem on this ship? Survey says! I don't buy it.

Sorry SGU, you're not for me.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Someone on Slashdot described it like this: "So it's a bit like Voyager but somebody stole their steering wheel."
Old 10-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Champion

1: They didn't know what they had in terms of resources to build anything of, they were still sorting out the supplies, other than the fact that it looked like it was just pushing a single button to close the doors I'm assuming it would have been too hard to devise and construct an object to shut the doors.
Or maybe it just needed the ancient gene to operate the shut switch.

2: The air scrubbers turned to gunk, because of the time, lot's of chemicals slowly decay over several years, I'm assuming the air scrubbing stuff was expected to be cleaned every so often, no chemical will remain pure forever.
Even without anyone breathing on the ship though there would still be oxidisation, some types of radiation can even cause systems to stop completely.

The parts that bug me are that the ship has been dropping stargates off for thousands of years, can it do that from hyperspace?
Just how many stargates does the thing have?
Just how much power would it consume, hyperspace for thousands of years, and the power to run thousands of stargates(because each gate needs power to gate out and support an open gate should the dialing gate be interupted), and life support systems for when someone arrives and power lighting, force fields....

Why did it have a ship attached when it was an unmanned flight?

They learnt pretty early on it's flight path, and towards the end of the episode how to use the stargate, why couldn't they get the power crystals from the stargates they can find and immediately use the combined power to gate home?

The ancients forgot a lot of simple safety mechanisms, but who, honestly, would built a ship to fly away from earth without a way to return home?

Stargates just don't work the way it's expected when they first lock the 9th chevron, it's maps of space, the last point is always origin, the rest are co-ords and a distance modifier(or two). Stargates work regardless of where they are, provided you adjust the point of origin(which is why ships in orbit can gate out or in), the idea that for this one special address the rules of the stargate are ignored and the last chevron should be earth, because, well, because that's where you'd expect to gate from, is stupid and against the very rules defined for the stargates.

Why did they even bring the citizen along? They had his calculations, they shouldn't have needed him at all, he solved a puzzle and nothing happened as far as he knows, let him go on thinking that, no need to force him to sign a non-disclosure agreement and go on a 3 light year trip to a planet so you can show him what he worked out.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Expert

The kind of sci-fi thats on TV is more like fantasy then logic based sci-fi. Just imagine the ship is cursed and the scrubbers are out of fairy dust.

I'm mostly watching it because Robert Carlyle is in it. I like how awesome character actors get TV series now. His character was interesting in it even if nothing else was that great.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Elite

1. I know they only had an hour, but a genius can come up with a dozen solutions in that time. Are there no space suits? Air packs? Does someone have to die for pushing a button? I still can't swallow this one.

2. Okay, the degrading chemical thing makes sense but tying it to CO2 scrubbers confuses the issue for me. I wish they would have chosen some other system. (Also, if it's that bad, I'm likely to think the ship isn't viable at all and they should all die soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyh2 View Post
The kind of sci-fi thats on TV is more like fantasy then logic based sci-fi. Just imagine the ship is cursed and the scrubbers are out of fairy dust.
Love it! I laughed when I read this. So funny. I have noticed Stargate shows are very soft when it comes to logic but usually they cover it up with "alien technology."

Sadly, I'm not a hard science kind of girl, but I have some standards. I love many sci-fi shows but apparently, I'm not the target audience for Stargate. They seem to do really well and I'm glad. I want more sci-fi shows!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Elite

1. Well, a space suit isn't really an option for the guy hitting the button, even if there is one on board. He'd just get to die a slow death of oxygen starvation instead of a quick death of oxygen starvation. Also, the longer they spent pushing the button, the worse of they'd be for the entire series. As for coming up with some way to avoid having to send someone in, they seem to have decided to stop doing that in this series.

2. The ship did get shot up, apparently. Maybe there were fires?

Quote:
The parts that bug me are that the ship has been dropping stargates off for thousands of years, can it do that from hyperspace?
I'm guessing it in fact cannot, and so drops out of hyperspace to drop them.

Quote:
Just how many stargates does the thing have?
A bunch. Although someone suggested it tunes stargates that other ships had dropped off, which would explain some stuff.

Quote:
Just how much power would it consume, hyperspace for thousands of years, and the power to run thousands of stargates(because each gate needs power to gate out and support an open gate should the dialing gate be interupted), and life support systems for when someone arrives and power lighting, force fields....
Lots, although it doesn't need to power the gates, the DHDs do that. Also, it's either reaching the end of its operational lifetime or got seriously mauled. The shields don't have enough power and are badly malfunctioning. They should be contracting until they are airtight, but that's clearly not happening.

Quote:
Why did it have a ship attached when it was an unmanned flight?
Because of the onboard stargate. If someone gates on, they can't bring a shuttle with them.

Quote:
They learnt pretty early on it's flight path, and towards the end of the episode how to use the stargate, why couldn't they get the power crystals from the stargates they can find and immediately use the combined power to gate home?
The same reason you can't fly to the moon with four nine-volt batteries. It'd take at least a thousand times as much energy as the atlantis gate. Also, the gates they need to use to return to the ship kinda need power crystals to operate.

Quote:
The ancients forgot a lot of simple safety mechanisms, but who, honestly, would built a ship to fly away from earth without a way to return home?
People who expect to be able to bring the power needed to return home with them when they come onboard. Also, it's quite likely that the ship is actually programmed to turn around if given the proper commands, which the characters don't have the security codes to enter.

Of course, at this point even if they can get the required codes, it's still going to take a long while.

Quote:
Stargates just don't work the way it's expected when they first lock the 9th chevron, it's maps of space, the last point is always origin, the rest are co-ords and a distance modifier(or two). Stargates work regardless of where they are, provided you adjust the point of origin(which is why ships in orbit can gate out or in), the idea that for this one special address the rules of the stargate are ignored and the last chevron should be earth, because, well, because that's where you'd expect to gate from, is stupid and against the very rules defined for the stargates.
Gating to a moving ship with a fixed address is also against the very rules defined for the stargates.
more covenants: we smell blood in the water, ATTACK!
game: the guilded coin are raiding (player covenant) the shining blades are raiding (player covenant) the black raiders are raiding (player covenant) (player covenant)'s life stone is threatened (at 75%)
Player: *&%#
Draaien: hey, where did they all go?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Elite

1. Stand at the door and throw stuff at the button for goodness sake!

2. Oooo Fire damage. I didn't think of that one! Of course then everything should be covered in ash and soot.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Elite

1. Kinda hard to do, really. Small target, and it needs to press, not just bounce off. It was probably worth a shot, though.
2. Depends on where the fires happened. There might also be some autocleaning system, though that'd possibly be long dead by now. Hard to say, most of the ship is on the other side of airlocks now. I imagine a lot of questions will be answered once they get the shields to contract, or restore power. Not the least of which is where the power is coming from. If it's ZPMs, i'd expect the drive to cut out not long after the shields went staticy. Unless that's a problem with the shields and not the power supply.
game: the guilded coin are raiding (player covenant) the shining blades are raiding (player covenant) the black raiders are raiding (player covenant) (player covenant)'s life stone is threatened (at 75%)
Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by (name here) View Post
Gating to a moving ship with a fixed address is also against the very rules defined for the stargates.
The ships in hyperspace, I think that violates about 10 laws of the stargates on it's own
Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Elite

Hard to say, because a ship in hyperspace automatically is moving too fast to be reached anyway.