Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Elite

Default Women and Gays... Sci-Fi Killers?

Are women and gays destroying science fiction? The short answer imo is no.

While in the article linked above, Pro-male/Anti-feminist Tech, misogynist that he seems to be, has some valid points, I think he's missing the forest for the trees. He states the problem of too much "relationship drama" with an all or nothing attitude. It isn't even about having one or the other, but I think a spectrum of different kinds of science fiction would be preferable. Of course some types will rise to the top aided by the All Might Dollar. His complaint about a surge of "relationship drama" science fiction is like me complaining about the super bowl. Just because I don't like watching sports doesn't make football "diarrhea."

Imagine a world where most men like red and most women like blue. This guy is arguing against purple. Obviously purple is disgusting and is an end to civilization's advancements.

What's wrong with people liking purple? Get over it!

Delilah Rehm
Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, my god, a very, very male dominated genre is getting more female attention. It's the end of times people. No boy will ever watch a sci-fi show again and dream of going into space or creating some great piece of technology. I'm kidding of course.

My only real comments:

Battlestar Galactica is/was definitely not killing sci-fi. There really hasn't been that many sci-fi shows in recent years so having Battlestar was great.

He babbles some stuff about gay people. He does realize that one of the actors on the original star trek show is gay right?

I agree with him that Syfy is a stupid name though.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Elite

This is kind of classic. I've seen it happen in other fandoms as well.

Historically science fiction has been male dominated. This means that if what you like is male oriented science fiction (rocket ships and space wars and whatnot), then almost everything that came out appealed to you. Nowadays women are getting involved in science fiction so you're getting some more diversity in what's published. Some people inevitably interpret that as some kind of attack on their fandom.

Its silly though. Obviously women getting involved in science fiction doesn't take away the stuff he likes. This is an expansion in the size of the science fiction pie, not someone taking away his piece.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Elite

Pie! That's perfect.

In my color analogy, it's like saying just because purple is, then red can no longer be. Nope. There's still red and blue.

Hmmm... now I'm hungry!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Elite

Why I Hate Star Trek is another article, this one more respectful, of a guy complaining about soft sf. He wants something different, but does that make everything else bad?

He lost me when he says he hates BattleStar Galactica because I love that show so much! It was more thought provoking than probably any other show I've every watched.

He wants tech to be a "character" in the story and I doubt he'll like my stuff. I don't write hard science fiction. There will be science in my science fiction, but the story will always be about people. Science will not save the day (though it may ruin it), people have to save themselves.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Elite

Another thing, I will NEVER write Steven King's theme that tech is evil. Never, ever, ever. I love tech! It may be complicated, but it doesn't have the capacity to be good or evil. That's what people do!

I had an English Prof once say that we were better off pre-industrial revolution. Yes, he thought the fuedal system where most people were esentially slaves and died by age 30 was better than our modern world. Hello! I'd rather not be beaten and raped then watch it happen to my children, thanks.

Sometimes I'm *baffled* with the way people- smart, educated people -think.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

He likes sci-fi but doesn't like ST:TNG, Babylon Five, or Battlestar Galactica. I'm pretty sure his opinion doesn't matter to me on sci-fi stuff.

I'm just going to comment on one quote from him - "SF, at its best, is an exploration of the human condition under circumstances that we can conceive of existing, but which don't currently exist"

Doesn't that sentence sum up Star Trek, Babylon, and Battlestar?

Last edited by Shadow : 10-14-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Elite

Okay, so now I'm wondering what sci-fi (space-type) shows you guys don't like, or shows that are just okay?

You already know mine- StarGate SG1 and SGU. Also didn't care for the original Star Trek (don't stone me! I know a lot of people loved that show.) or the old Dr. Who.

No Opinion: I didn't see enough of these to comment- ST Altantis, Voyager, Dr. Who (I know, right? I should watch the new ones).

Shows I liked: BattleStar Gallactica, ST: TNG, Deep Space Nine, Babylon Five, Firefly, Red Dwarf.

Any other popular shows I'm missing?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Rehm View Post
No Opinion: <snippy> Dr. Who (I know, right? I should watch the new ones).
No, don't just say this. You really NEED to watch the new series. I'll forgive you for not liking the classic stuff (even I don't think that it has aged as well as something like, say, Star Trek - and I've been a Dr Who fan since Jon Pertwee's Doctor) but the new series is the quintessential definition of charcter driven sci-fi. The tech never takes a back seat, but the strongly written charcters and overarching juxtaposition of human frailty and resilience make it one of my most loved TV shows ever. It's truly brilliant at it's best and still fairly good SF at it's worst. The different writers tend to bring different perspectives to the show (which is not always a good thing in terms of continuity). Steven Moffat is probably my favourite. If you only want to watch a couple, I'd recommend "The Girl in the Fireplace" from season 2 or "Blink" from season 3. Awesome stuff =D
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Elite

Part of the reason I haven't watched the new Dr. Who is because we didn't (and still don't) have cable tv. I guess now there'll be seasons we can rent on Netflix. Yay! I have a *new* show to look forward to in the absence of Battlestar.