Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default 5 things Torchlight does better than Diablo 2

There is a short article about Torchlight that kind of is amusing to me on the mtv blog.

The article is 5 things that the author thinks Torchlight does better than Diablo 2: pets and loot, open classes, inventory, enhancing items, and a shared stash. It amuses me since all of these things have been done before (probably many times).

Depths of Peril did 2 of these things way before Torchlight (everything is the same size in the inventory and the shared stash). Titan Quest also did the shared stash thing. Dungeon Siege did the pet thing. Shoot Fate the spiritual predecessor of Torchlight did the pet thing. Tons of games have had items only take 1 slot. Open classes and recoverable slotted items has also been done numerous times.

Even though none of these are really new they do seem to work well in Torchlight. I don't think pets and open classes would fit with Diablo's style very well though. The other 3 would be nice to see in D3.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Champion

This tends to happen pretty often---features that have been introduced but not popularized with the introducer so as to gain due exposure. I know of a certain recentish game even more "unknown" than Depths of Peril along these lines that also ranks quite well feature wise(more of a Roguelike slant than Torchlight for one) but to no ends---yet. Torchlight was able to make a particular splash due to the budget price on Steam, perceived distance from D3/actual drought since TQ/Sacred2's bugginess, the community behind it due to good dev interaction in the run up and since launch, and the promise of the editor.

D3 is far enough away that there's no telling what ideas it will include from other games and, hopefully, good ideas unto itself outright.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Legend

That's the thing though, Don't get me wrong, Torchlight is a great game. But in the end, the only thing I dislike is the goofy look of the weapons in the game. Especially the swords which look like a kiddish version of a weapon on a serious rpg. I just personally have that gripe with the game.

But, in the end; I'm more concerned to get my hands on Din's Curse when it comes out. I'll Prally buy the beta version, cause I just can't wait for this one.

Till that comes out, I'll have some more fun with Mount and Blade
Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Champion

I agree that there have been many games before Torchlight that tread the same ground and there are probably a couple more hack & slash games that had some of those features. Speaking of pets, Titan Quest had wolves and nymphs as pets and didn't the druid have a wolf pet in D2 and the necro have his fun skeleton henchies and golems? They might not be perma pets , but still.

I agree with getter77 that the price was right for a game like Torchlight although I would add that the whole presentation also placed a lot of eyes on the game. While the graphics are not everyone's cup of tea they still look tremendous while running on almost any pc built in the last eight years.

Also the writer of the article may not know any other dungeon crawler after Diablo II or very few at the most. As stupid as that sounds it seems very few writers out there pay attention to anything that does not catch the imagination of a large group of gamers, or at least it seems to me that way reading gaming articles from around the web. Although he might have just been comparing D2 to Torchlight while ignoring every other top-down action RPG since then .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
Till that comes out, I'll have some more fun with Mount and Blade
A fine game. One of the most addictive games I have played on the PC in the last ten years.

Last edited by Archon : 12-02-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

I should actually mention that I didn't mean to imply anything negative towards Torchlight. I have played a little bit of it and it seems fun.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Amateur

Default I do agree...

I have seen the blog,play the games and I do agree...
Old 12-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Amateur

Behind torchlight are business veterans, thats one of the main reasons for the success. There is no spectacular new invention to the gameplay, but it "flows". And most important - they use Steam for distribution and contacts to the international press established for many years. So it was no wonder, that all important gaming mags in Germany reported about Torchlight. In addition - with the anouncement of D3 early 2009 and the first playable scenes for all visitors at GamesCom in cologne in august the field for new action rpgīs was well prepared. I played D3 as press member and itīs true, the old memories came back again in minutes. Torchlight (and Titan Quest earlier) filled a gap. TQ was handmade and very beautifull, but also lacked the "replay-factor" after you have seen all places. Torchlight is a nice "quickie" for a few hours, but the comic-like WoW-Graphics and the non-existing quest-line are not my thing.
Iīm eagerly awaiting first gameplay scenes of Dinīs Curse, hope to discover an action rpg gem with flowing gameplay and - most important - an interesting, intelligent, challenging quest-line. Not this stupid "kill 5 wolves", "deliver this package to grandma" or "collect 7 flowers for my earthshaking healing potion". Instead of this i hope to experience multi-part quests building on each other, quests with more than one solution, quests that need some patience and clerverness to solve. Slow food instead of fast food. In addition perhaps some of the "old" rpg virtues like riddles, secret passages and doors, traps and stuff like this. I know, itīs not easy to realize in a action rpg - hell, nowadays few "real" rpgīs have it. And perhaps itīs also a business risk to challenge players with a game, that cannot be solved by monkeys on dope in 10 minutes, but hey - no risk no fun. Because if this works, Din could be more than a space-filler for D3-fans!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:34 AM
Amateur

Yeah, hybrids make things interesting. Some specialties will be obvious. The guy running around in plate armor will have the defender specialty. He might be a full blown warrior or a hybrid though. Someone using leather armor and a sword could be just about anything.