Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Building on our previous games

One of the nice things about doing multiple games in a row that are the same genre and in the same universe is that each game builds on the ones before it. Some examples: Din's Curse has around 50 monster types, many of which come from Depths of Peril and Kivi's Underworld, Din gained multiplayer support from Kivi's expansion pack, and many of the items come from DoP. A lot of these that did come from DoP and Kivi have been revamped to fit Din's Curse better and to be cooler in general, but we have so much variety because of our previous games. Don't worry we have also added a ton of new content also.

In general this will probably continue. Thanks to Din's Curse our next game will probably inherit things like world modifiers, better multiplayer support, way more dynamic quests, random towns, way more magic modifiers for items, and many other things.

Just thinking of the possibilities for future games is exciting. Some thing like DoP 2 with random towns, even more dynamic quests, world modifiers, and multiplayer would just rock.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Champion

Agreed. It may have been that only upon hearing about Din's Curse did I come check this party out, but seeing how things are coming together, it is definitely one I plan to stick around for and hopefully become more involved in as it rolls on---the potential is clearly there and being seized upon chunk by chunk.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Legend

I think that it is only natural to learn from your previous games. That's what blizzard is doing for diablo 3, they are learning from both Diablo 1 and 2 and incorporating those changes in the 3rd.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

You definitely learn things from each game. That part pretty much always happens. Even that is limited though. Individuals learn new things from each game. The company itself only continues to learn new things if it can keep its employees.

When I worked at Ritual some of the things I worked on was Sin, Heavy Metal, Blair Witch, and Elite Force 2. Pretty much no assets were reused between the games because they were all very different and for at least the last 3 the publishers owned all of the assets. Blair Witch was a completely different engine so not even the code base was reused in that case.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Champion

I am pretty excited for Din's Curse and the progress from game to game is certainly noticeable. Presentation wise Kivi's Underworld is at a much higher level in game than Depths Of Peril with the character animation and detail being far superior. I don't know what to expect from Din's on that front although I am looking forward to all the new things added and hope that the pre-release strategy pays off for Soldak and gives you the opportunity to refine Din's as much as possible for a great 1.0 release.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Elite

It's really exciting news. I'm glad that the monsters of old are back - this means there are more monsters to kill, and here, more is definitely better