Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Din progress report 3

We are now two weeks into the beta of Din's Curse. So far I'm very happy. Everything seems to be going pretty good and most people seem to really like the game, not everyone, but that's expected.

The feedback that I have been getting on our forums, other gaming forums, and by email has been awesome. Actually there has been so much, it's a bit overwhelming. This is a good thing so please don't stop. I'm not able to post responses as much as I would like, but I've been reading everything and changing tons of things based on the feedback.

Today, I released our 4th patch. In those four patches, I have made 309 changes. Well over half of those are changes directly from gamer feedback. There are still many changes coming that I haven't gotten to though. Right now my todo list has 241 items on it. One of these days I will get this back down to zero.

A quick sales note, so far this is our fastest selling game ever. I'm really hoping it stays this way. If it doesn't, I might start taking some contracting work, which would slow down Soldak development. The sales so far is actually interesting to me. On one hand we don't have a finished product, just a beta, and not even a demo yet. Yet the beta is selling quicker than our previous two games. This is kind of strange. On the other hand, we have an established fan base, we've talked a lot more about this game than probably both our other games combined, and I'm still convinced this is our best game ever. So it's strange and not a big surprise at the same time.

So where does that leave us? Well right now I would say we will have at least two more weeks of beta, a bunch of patches to come, and one of these days an actual demo and a final game. And by final, I mean the patches might slow down, not really final.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Expert

Smile

Congratulations Steven.

I (read: my older brother) bought both DoP and Kivi's.
He's gone now though, and I'm still waiting for spare 20$ to magically appear so I can pick up Din's.

Hopefully the games, and the sales, keep coming because so far they have all been amazing.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Champion

Winderful news. To keep the money flowing, maybe you could do a beta for an expansion for Din's as well?

GB
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Amateur

Why is it selling better?

Multiplayer.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshar View Post
Why is it selling better?

Multiplayer.
I didn't mention all of the other differences, but multiplayer is also a good reason why it might be doing better.

As a side note, I really hope multiplayer sells us a lot of extra copies. Multiplayer was unfortunately a hard decision to make. Long term, I believe it was the right decision to make. Short term, it ate up a lot of cash that the company really couldn't afford.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Elite

It feels like we have one foot in the grave, but I believed multiplayer was necessary for the success of Din's. Although Steven's policy of open communication may also be a determining factor, among other things.

Stress ate me alive after Depths of Peril but I've learn better how to cope. Considering the money generated by the gaming industry, Depths fell way below my original expectations.

I'm torn about Din's Curse. Having a great game and getting the word out don't always go hand in hand. Hopefully all of the investments we've made will help Din's cross the line from risky enterprise to financial viability.

The not knowing is killer exciting. Yeah...