Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Elite

Default Yet another thread on multiplayer request

With both Din's and Kivi's having MP, is Soldak once more looking at an MP expansion or patch for DoP? Or do we really have to wait for DoP2
Old 03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Elite

Unless you're talking about strict co-op multiplayer here, where all players are in the same covenant, I see massive challenges to implementing MP in DoP at a conceptual level more than anything else. The whole game would just be reduced to a massive melee in town <yawn>.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Elite

So far, there is no Depth of Peril multiplayer planned. Depths of Peril II will have multiplayer, and it's high up on the list of potentials for the next game.

And yes, programming will be a pain. Steven doesn't know at this time, how to deal with the circumstane where the player who is the server loses. We wouldn't want everyone else to get kicked out of the game if said player quits.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Elite

Thanks Delilah
Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I think adding multiplayer into the original DoP would be a nightmare. I was originally thinking of doing an expansion for DoP after doing one for Kivi. However, after seeing how much had to change just for Kivi (which is much simpler) I really just don't think it's feasible. This is very unfortunate because multiplayer in DoP would be cool.
Patreon
Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Expert

I think your time would be better spent on making DP 2 anyway. Build it with MP in mind, and keep the frienemy dynamic with other covenants. Then you just need to decide if you want to force players to all be in the same covenant or each have there own. Either would be loads of fun.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreb View Post
I think your time would be better spent on making DP 2 anyway. Build it with MP in mind, and keep the frienemy dynamic with other covenants. Then you just need to decide if you want to force players to all be in the same covenant or each have there own. Either would be loads of fun.
There's a lot of routes we could do with that. Is everyone in the "player" covenant, each player has their own covenant but it's co-op against the AI, or each player has their own covenant but it's free for all (but they can still make pacts and stuff like that)?
Patreon
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Amateur

Might it be possible for the multiplayer aspect of DoP2 to be a dedicated server, so a player can set it up like the original NWN game. The dedicated server runs the world, and players log in and join a game by joining a covenant. If the owner or host of the server loses, then no one would get kicked if he/she leaves the game. Of course if the host is a sore loser and decides to shut off the server, well then you know not to play on that persons server anymore. Perhaps the host could name his/her server and even password protect it if they only want certain people to play.

I'd have loved a dedicated server for Din's Curse where the game world just continues on even if the host isn't playing. When a town is cleared, the game would automatically create the next town. It would pick difficulty by averaging all the player levels of the characters currently in game and state what difficulty level the game was so players can choose to join or not.

John
Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

If we do DoP2, I'm not sure what we would do for the multiplayer aspect. A dedicated server would be cool though.
Patreon
Old 07-31-2010, 02:41 AM
Amateur

Let's us hope that DoP2 become our nightmare.