Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default Drox beta patch 1.001

Beta Patch 1.001 of Drox Operative is available over on the Drox Operative patch page. Changes can be read here. This patch makes selling components to a race improve their economy, improves component spawning, makes thrust boosts much better, and fixes a bunch of minor issues.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Expert

Should we patch the game in the middle of a Sector, or should we only patch it once we've completed a Sector & before we start the next?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think it will matter in this case.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 AM
Amateur

Pretty big nerf to one of my group's ships (he runs a drakk that cant really afford to maintain more than one fighter bay)

Really interested in the changes to loot tables - Can you elaborate on that? I felt like a lot of my issues with them was that you could get wildly different stats on basically the same item.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancefighter View Post
Really interested in the changes to loot tables - Can you elaborate on that? I felt like a lot of my issues with them was that you could get wildly different stats on basically the same item.
It basically tightens the level range of components or modifiers that can spawn.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Amateur

Pressing delete no longer seems to remove the weapon/abililty from the hotbars...

It plays a sound instead and does nothing, they only get removed now when you unequip them from your ship, but you can still move them around to different slots.

Also, if you want an ability on the quick-use slot and hot-key bar you have to first move the icon to the quick-use bar and back again.

The first move removes it from the hot-key bar completely instead of duplicating it.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Expert

There's a problem with the tightened level ranges. The banding is based on the player creating the game, and not the game level. I would suggest basing the banding on the game level. As it works right now, the banding is so tight that it would only work for someone who had equal skills in all things for that level (and is a tad on the high side at that)

I would base it on game level and have a bell curve, Otherwise people who forgo things like computers or helm stop finding rare loot they can ever use.

Also, it makes it so that if you've spiked a certain stat, you only find items based on your player level, which will be sub par what you can use, even if you start a higher level game to try to boost the loot level.

This design change is very significant for me right now, because I have specialized ships.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox View Post
There's a problem with the tightened level ranges. The banding is based on the player creating the game, and not the game level. I would suggest basing the banding on the game level. As it works right now, the banding is so tight that it would only work for someone who had equal skills in all things for that level (and is a tad on the high side at that)
This is true for vendors, but components that are dropped from combat, chest type of things, and rewards are based on the monster or sector level values.

I understand your problem though. I'm still thinking of ways to fix it so that ships with really high or really low attributes still gets relevant drops.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Expert

My suggestion is to band the vendors around the game level, not the player level who created the game.

As it is, I can start a level 1 game with a level 40 ship with tiny map, 6 races and fully developed and shop for level 40 items - which doesn't really make sense. If these are level 1 races, with level 1 ships why are they vending 8k items?

I'm suggesting that if someone creates a level 20 game, let the vendors band around that level. That permits people to 'fix a problem' if they need to (like I have right now with not having a right-level shield on a ship with spiked engineering)

so long as the vendor level can be controlled, players can work the system to get gear. As it is right now, since the drops appear to be on the same quality band as vendors, it's really not effective to try to get gear via drops (at least it seems that way for me). The randomness factor means that I have to have a very high sample size, which means I get most of my gear by visiting many, many vendors. Due to the random impact and rarity of 'rare' gear, almost all of the truly rare gear I've ever seen had stats that made them unattractive.

Last edited by nox : 01-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Champion

nox's idea is good, and if you don't want to necessarily change it permanently, it could be a checkbox option on the sector creation screen: "Match loot to sector level" or something like that.