Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default Din's Curse expansion?

Right now I think the next thing from Soldak is going to be an expansion pack for Din's Curse. I don't guarantee such a thing, but that's the most likely thing. Anyway, I'm trying to be more open and talk more about our games, so here's some of my thoughts so far. This has possible spoilers below and very possibility things that might never happen.

I really want the expansion pack to have a strong theme and would like to do something similar in future expansion packs if there are any. Themes for DC could revolve around a class, monster, a new mode of play, or probably many other things. I think if we did a bunch of expansion packs and tried to keep up the same kind of theme though, a class or mode theme might be hard to keep going.

So right now I'm thinking of doing a monster theme, specifically, Demons. The rough idea is that the various types of Demons have gotten tired of all of the Undead constantly attacking them. They are banding together, calling forth other Demon kind, and fighting back. Right now my tentative title is Din's Curse: Demon War.

I would like to add at least a few new demon types and various new items, modifiers, objects, and traps that fit the theme. I'm sure I'll add other things that are just nice improvements also.

I would also like to add a new class. Two good suggestions on our forums have been a Monk or Bard. Both would be pretty cool. Another interesting class could be something along the lines of Demon Hunter or Demon Knight since it would fit the theme quite a bit.

I know there's nothing substantial here yet, but like I said this is still very early. What are your thoughts? BTW, I have been reading all of the various suggestion and expansion threads. There have already been a lot of good suggestions so far.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Legend

That's cool. The demons have been kind of my worst enemy since i played the game.

What would a demon hunter or Knight have to offer other than just their specialization against a single enemy.

My only idea is a demon hunter would just be a bounty hunter mixed with a fighter right?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Amateur

I have an idea for the expansion...

What if you create a new class for the demon theme that actually IS a demon? The backstory for this class could roughly be something like; This type of demon which is more intelligent and independent, helps humanity saving towns and what not, but not because he loves them, lol. While most demons are concerning themselves with some kind of war with the undead, which is affecting humanity and humanity's domain, this particular type of demon (class name?) wants to push back / kill / punish undead AND other demons that lack it's vision because it realizes that humanity needs to be preserved for reasons that are beneficial for demonkind.

Humans are not all innocent and pleasant, they can be easily corrupted. Evil men can do alot of nasty, err evil things that actually please demonkind and work for them, spreading even more corruption to other humans. Because, when their time is up, and they pass from the physical world, their immortal souls become more fuel for the furnace, more points in the battle for souls.

Not that I want to drown a wonderful game like this in storyline, but you gotta have some explanation on why a demon would want to save the pitiful humans.

Just a thought I had. I dunno, maybe it sucks, but sounds cool at the moment, lol.

I would love to play a demon with hardass plate armor n glowy 2h swords / magic stuff anyway.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Champion

I don't think that playing as an actual demon character would make much sense in Din's Curse. Why would Din bother trying to turn a demon into a hero? Is a demon or demoness seriously expected to be sorry for being a horrible person their whole life?

I think humans trained to fight demons would make more sense in the expansion. Monks or Demon Hunters or something. They'd also make a lot more sense when Hybridized with things like Paladin or Healer or Necromancer.

I don't think the new class should have skills to invest points in that are only useful against demons, since we'd still have to be fighting a lot of other non-demonic things, like undead foes, insects, elementals, orcs, canines, etc. Any demon-specific skill or spell you added would be ignored in favor of other abilities that were useful against other enemies anyway. If you wanted to give them an automatic built-in passive (up there with the ability to wear leather armor and capes and getting mana regen from hitting things) that makes them automatically do something like 50% more damage against demonic foes, that would be cool though.

The Bard might fit better into an expansion that is focused around making towns even cooler and more interesting, and adds the henchman/mercenary idea that some people are really wanting. There could be a Guild master NPC who could hire out competent mercenaries who start at around your level and level up when you do. The mercenaries could be random hybrids who specialize in maybe 2 or 3 of their abilities. A guild master could be someone who starts out in a town, or could be hired via your Steward by killing things on a certain dungeon level. You could randomly come across them in dungeons and they could visit your town like a regular vendor. If your mercenary dies, you could hire someone else from the guild master to replace him or her. Or maybe Din would have the ability to raise them from the dead in exchange for a certain amount of your Reputation based on the level of the henchman (what would Din want with money?). That would also be a good expansion for adding item enchanting or runes or stuff along those lines.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Champion

I think it all sounds great Shadow.
A demon Hunter, that fights in mail or Plate using 2H-Swords and/or 2h-Maces and has skills related to each weapon that he can wield. For ex.

a) "Death by Sword" a 2H-Sword skill focused at taking out Demons by building up a frenzy. Grorr (the name of our proud Demon Hunter test subject) has 5 skill Ranks in ”Death by Sword". As long as Grorr keeps swinging at a Demon he gains one extra attack per point in ”Death by Sword”. As soon as any of the attacks hit a mob that is not a demon, the frenzy stops dead in track, and starts over again with the next first hit at a Demon.

b) ”Death by Mace" a 2H-Mace attack that yields a stun bonus versus all Demons and Demon types. The length of the stun is based on Damek´s (the name of our next not so proud Demon Hunter test subject) Skill Rank, but the chance for having an aoe (area of effect) stun onto other demons in the immediate area is based on Damek´s Spirit as is the # of Demons affected by it.

Hmm, how that sound? It´s 2.45 am here and im way to tired for creative ideas. I bet i laugh at this tomorrow.
Anyway, i´ll work on the bard this weekend and see what i come up with. I´ll post it on the forum next week (if i can wrap it up a bit) and we can go from there.
Peace out!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Champion

Graffen wrote
Quote:
"Death by Sword" a 2H-Sword skill focused at taking out Demons by building up a frenzy. Grorr (the name of our proud Demon Hunter test subject) has 5 skill Ranks in ”Death by Sword". As long as Grorr keeps swinging at a Demon he gains one extra attack per point in ”Death by Sword”. As soon as any of the attacks hit a mob that is not a demon, the frenzy stops dead in track, and starts over again with the next first hit at a Demon.
should say

Quote:
As long as Grorr keeps swinging at a Demon he gets one extra attack added per round, up to his max, which in this case is 5. So if Grorr would be fighting a horde of Demons, after 5 rounds he would attack 6 times/round. His attacks are spread randomly at any mobs close enough to be hit by him and he can (still randomly) hit the same target several times. As soon as any of the attacks hit a mob that is not a demon, the frenzy stops dead in track, and starts over again with the next first hit at a Demon.
So much for the creative side at 2.45 am, ZZzzz. Right, off to sleep.
NN!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Amateur

I was thinking that with this particular class, the original story has taken a different turn somehow and the demon has come on his own free will for the reasons I stated in my last post.

I thought about this after I had posted, and it would be hard to make this fit in, especially with Din being present in the towns. While the humans could be easily fooled or manipulated, not knowing his true intentions, Din would certainly be aware of everything being a God.

Maybe the demon could make everyone believe he wants to be redeemed for some reason. Maybe it realizes the 'light' is stronger or something. Maybe being a demon is constant torment somehow and / or a losing battle.

I really dunno.

Those are some good ideas about the monks, bards, and demon hunters, but IMHO monks and bards are a little mundane and overdone, then again so are warriors, rogues, priests, rangers, and such and the game rocks anyway.

If anyone can help a demon class somehow make sense, by all means please do. Not that I'm an evil dude IRL, I just get tired of being forced to play on the side of good in RPG's...a little eeeviiilll is a fun change sometimes.

A Din's Curse expansion is a definite buy for me no matter what.

I just saw Shadow's post on the website and immediately thought DEMON CLASS!

I do really like the ideas about adding mercenaries, runes, and enchanting though, that would rule.

Either way, I'm sure you guys will come up with something cool. Carry on.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinosity View Post
I have an idea for the expansion...
Not that I want to drown a wonderful game like this in storyline, but you gotta have some explanation on why a demon would want to save the pitiful humans.
How about, the demons want to keep the humans alive because as long as they're alive, they're useful to the demons, and as soon as they're dead, they're candidates for the undead army, which the demons are fighting.

And Din puts up with it because he hates the undead worse than the demons (if we could just figure out the reason why).
Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

I do have a couple full game ideas that are getting more and more likely where you would play evil characters.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Elite

"Valta's Curse : The sequel to Din's Curse" ?