Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default Expansion class thoughts

Although both a monk and bard are tempting, right now I'm still thinking along the lines of a demon hunter for the expansion. None of this is even remotely final and still pretty rough, but I would like to get some of my thoughts out there so that you guys can comment on them.

I'm thinking of the demon hunter as basically an arcane fighter that is designed to kill demons. I'm looking at more of a fight fire with fire type thing, not anything like getting bonuses to killing demons specifically. I want him to have a decent amount of magic, but all pretty much close combat.

For the 3 specialties I'm thinking of Reaver, Warden, and Demonologist.

Reaver is a pure up close dealer of death mainly through 2 handed sharp weapons (sword/axe). Might have lots of short range area of effect type of attacks.

Warden is more defensive by nature focusing on not getting hit: shields, wards, slowing projectiles, etc.

Demonologist is focused on abilities that are used by demons: possession, inferno, blood rage, blood sacrifice, etc.

I have more thoughts than this, but I mostly just wanted to get some discussion going.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Amateur

An expansion is a big deal, and a chance to bring in more players, so hopefully this helps!

An interesting idea might be to give the player an option to play as a skeleton or demon in itself. I'm not suggesting reversing the game (as interesting as that would be), but rather somewhat of a necromancer/warlock to the extreme. Someone who can turn into those creatures and gain their benefits. Or other races in general, though it might not fit the story so easily.

-> Expanding on that, what about playing in a demon/orc town going into dungeons against orcs/demons (respectively), undead, etc., fighting for turf? That may be too much to change.

Alternatively, one of my favorite classes to play in D&D is the Swashbuckler (in The Complete Warrior, I think). Some sort of piratical class would be entertaining.

Maybe an inventor/artificer class? Someone who can combine odds and ends (think MacGyver or DragonLance gnomes) to invent an object of destruction, possibly a one-time use.

A Psychic warrior? The use of 'reaver' made me reflect on River, which reminds me of the very popular D&D class. Even an Incarnate of some kind would be interesting - a fighter who has died and been re-incarnated dozens, if not thousands of times. It fits the Din theme, and was one of the most alluring aspects of the failed Fury game. Here's more on the incarnates, they intrigue me.

I love game design

Last edited by Lelldorianx : 06-18-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Reaver is a pure up close dealer of death mainly through 2 handed sharp weapons (sword/axe). Might have lots of short range area of effect type of attacks.

Warden is more defensive by nature focusing on not getting hit: shields, wards, slowing projectiles, etc..

That sounds quite similar to the Warrior Class Trees.

An Idea: Maybe the Warden could be defensive by magic and not Plate / Mail Armor?

Please dont give these trees multiple aoe melee skills if you end up choosing one. Make it tempting to use all of them. Like skill x stuns the target and skill y does more dmg if the target is stunned. This would be great for all skills not only aoe skills.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baki View Post
That sounds quite similar to the Warrior Class Trees.

An Idea: Maybe the Warden could be defensive by magic and not Plate / Mail Armor?
Right now they do sound a little too close to the weaponmaster/defender. I don't think they will stay that way though.

I'm actually thinking of giving the reaver plate mail. Another specialty that can use plate would be nice and the warden is likely to have enough magical defensive measures.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Amateur

I like the idea of defensive magic spells, that + combo specialties is a great mix for addiction.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Legend

These are my thoughts-

Shadow said: "Reaver is a pure up close dealer of death mainly through 2 handed sharp weapons (sword/axe). Might have lots of short range area of effect type of attacks."

I say-This could be awesome. If you could make an attack that would shoot out through a line of enemies a wave of fire or air or something along those lines, then that would be awesome. The only thing though is to make it so that if someone hybrids, make the skills workable to all weapons to make it a badass combination.

Shadow said: "Warden is more defensive by nature focusing on not getting hit: shields, wards, slowing projectiles, etc."

I say-Now this class sounds already like a fighter version of the hunter. Kind of like the trickster class. This sounds good but I don't understand what they fight with. I'm guessing 1-handed weapons would be ideal, since he is after all a defensive type character. What would be cool for this char would be if he was like a melee version of the hunter, but entirely different. Other than that, I dont know. Need a little more information.

Shadow said-"Demonologist is focused on abilities that are used by demons: possession, inferno, blood rage, blood sacrifice, etc."

I say-I don't know how those abilities work, like how they would be used. Defensive, offensive? They sound interesting though, since i've never seen-blood rage inferno, blood sacrifice, etc in an rpg. I'm gonna guess this class is the mage type, hopefully more info will be awesome.

My thoughts are that so far it seems like we've got the reaver which is like a fighter type class. We've got the warden which is like a defensive fighter (hopefully will have a bit of finesse or something that differentiates between the reaver). And then we have the Demonologist who is the mage of the group I guess. The only thing I have to ask is that the warden be like a rogue/fighter/hunter type thing if that makes any sense. If the reaver and the warden are both typical fighters then the class will be imbalanced.

Besides that, I am interested. I am just way too into the rogues
Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
This sounds good but I don't understand what they fight with. I'm guessing 1-handed weapons would be ideal, since he is after all a defensive type character.

I say-I don't know how those abilities work, like how they would be used. Defensive, offensive? They sound interesting though, since i've never seen-blood rage inferno, blood sacrifice, etc in an rpg. I'm gonna guess this class is the mage type, hopefully more info will be awesome.
Currently I'm thinking the Warden would generally be using a 1 handed edged weapon and a shield.

So far my thoughts for the Demonologist give them both offensive and defensive abilities. Some possibilities are Circle of Protection that gives you physical resistance, but something like Blood Sacrifice would sacrifice some of your health for a temporary large damage boost.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Amateur

The Warden concept might go well with energy or phantasmal weapons, something that only wardens can use. A shield and sword with a unique texture (or model) and different types of elemental damage.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
So far my thoughts for the Demonologist give them both offensive and defensive abilities. Some possibilities are Circle of Protection that gives you physical resistance, but something like Blood Sacrifice would sacrifice some of your health for a temporary large damage boost.
I like these ideas, and the Blood Sacrifice seems like it could be a lot of fun. But what I wonder is, what kind of damage boost will the skill grant? There are a lot of abilities that already boost up physical damage, but not much out there enhancing elemental damage or even all damage types. I also think it might be cool to have it drain a percentage of your health over the duration of the spell instead of just a flat health cost when cast. When you level the skill up, it could improve duration while reducing the health cost (to balance it out a bit).

Also, could the Circle be made a radial, AOE ability capable of buffing up other players/townsfolk/summoned monsters? I feel like there aren't quite enough skills like that.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Right now I'm thinking the wards/circles will get placed at your feet and kind of act like a temporary totem that effects everything in the area of effect (well all enemies or all friendlies depending on what the effect is).