Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Amateur

Hello, I seem to have the same problem as Simon did. I downloaded the demo and when I run it it's just black screen. When I press enter or esc the game crashes.
I'm running Windows 7 32bit on Geforce GT 9800, additionally I tried running it with the oldest drivers I could find (195.62) and now am downloading the newest but I doubt it will help, will edit later.
log.txt is empty.

By the way, do you plan on releasing Din's Curse on Steam and/or GOG? Retail would be nice too, I can't get used to this digital stuff.

Edit: yup, the newest drivers do nothing.

Last edited by Soundwave : 04-28-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Champion

In general this is connected to graphics/driver issues. Installing and re-installing drivers can create quite a mess. It's best, when uninstalling, to really clean the system before installing new drivers. Never install drivers over existing (loaded) ones. If the thought of manually cleaning up doesn't appeal, this may help:
http://www.drivercleaner.net/
I understand that pointing out a commercial tool isn't cool, but I've used it for years and it's super. Just thought I'd mention it.

Things to try:

- Do the other games work? Try the Depths of Peril demo and/or the Kivi demo.
- The games use OpenGL, use this simple test app to see if OpenGL works okay:
http://www.all7.com/download.php?opengl_test
If the FPS (displayed in the bar) is single digit, the OpenGL hardware support isn't working properly. If the FPS is in the hundreds it is.
- Try changing the hardware acceleration level for the soundcard (soundcard drivers can also cause problems). Run "DXdiag" and switch to the sound tab, check and play with the hardware acceleration slider. Lower (to the left) means less hardware involved and therefore lower crash risks (if drivers are buggy).
- When running Win7 you might have access to Windows XP mode (available for Pro and higher), you could try that. Check the help system for details. It's not the perfect solution, but if that actually works you have a reference point from where to look further.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Amateur

Hey there, here's how it is.
1. The OpenGL test works fine, 60+ fps.
2. For some reason I cannot change my soundcard hardware acceleration level.
I have 2 Sound tabs, neither of them has the slider.
3. XP mode etc doesn't work, I've tried everything there (almost).
4. Other games run normally (Guild Wars, Portal 2, Starcraft 2).
5. Soldak games don't run, just like Din's Curse. Black screen, crash. I've tried DoP and Kivi's Underworld demos and same thing happens. Additionally I dug up the older Din's demo and same thing happens.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Legend

I suspect it could be a problem OpenAL (the game's sound driver) is having with your sound drivers. What you may want to try is a demo for another game that uses OpenAL such as this game. See if that works.

You may also want to try the very latest version of OpenAL here. Copy the files OpenAL32.dll and wrap_aol.dll to the Din's Curse folder.

You can also check the log file in "users/your login name/Local Settings/Application Data/DinsCurse/User/log.txt". It doesn't say much, but the last thing in it should be "Debug system started".
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Amateur

Thanks a lot, Bluddy, overwriting these 2 files in Din's folder helped.
May you be rewarded with many chubby babies.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the help Bluddy and Maledictus!
Patreon
Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I suspect it could be a problem OpenAL...
Nice catch, I'll remember that.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Amateur

Default Solution: Windows 7 and Din's Curse compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelow View Post
I've recently wiped my computer, and upgraded to Windows 7. After reinstalling Din's Curse, I can't get it to start! I've tried compatibility mode, I've tried the patches, I've tried not the patches, and I've tried running as an admin. Not sure what else to try.
If nothing else works, I had the same problem (and nothing mentioned above worked) but managed to rectify it this way:-

1) Right Click ShortCut
2) Select Properties
3) Click Compatibility tab
4) In Compatibility mode, select Windows NT4.0 (service pack 5)
5) Tick to Disable visual themes
6) Tick to Disable desktop composition
7) Tick to Disable scaling on high DPI settings
8) Tick to run program as an administrator.

The game will now *fingers crossed* run and no problems so far either. This also works for Depths of Peril.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Expert

I have a laptop with an Intel HD 3000 video card and Nvidia GT540M. Din's Curse plays with the Intel but I get a black screen and then a crash if I try to play with the Nvidia card. The laptop is supposed to use the Intel card for non gaming and then switch to the Nvidia when you start a game. When it works it works great but has issues with some games.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirby2003 View Post
I have a laptop with an Intel HD 3000 video card and Nvidia GT540M. Din's Curse plays with the Intel but I get a black screen and then a crash if I try to play with the Nvidia card. The laptop is supposed to use the Intel card for non gaming and then switch to the Nvidia when you start a game. When it works it works great but has issues with some games.
Anti-aliasing seems to be an issue with the game. Try starting the game on the Intel card, disabling anti-aliasing, and then starting with the Nvidia.