Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Expert

Default some ideas for DoP2

as a new storyline for a (possible sequel to dop):

we (plus perhaps 2 NPCs) are sent into the wilderness to build a new outpost, the future new-jorvik, haha.

first, there is nothing, so you clear the area of monsters and collect a few things (first quests), start with a tent, then a hut, then fortifications (which the NPCs build as we collect gold and treasure) - robinson crusoe style.

as soon as the fist longhouse is there, other barbarians might join the settlement (of course we still seek out wandering recruits), they also build their own houses and form covenants, start selling stuff, and so on, similar to the first levels of the first warcraft game.

but

as jorvik grows, so does trouble, because the factions are not stable, you bribe members of other covenants into joining your own group (so you need to have a good selection of stuff, that you cannot sell). but you also have to kick out old recruits (they will be the future renegades and form rival gangs).

you might also have to travel for new skills. seek out guru-kind of NPCs in the wilderness after you have reached a new level.

as the village grows into a city monsters start to attack, so every now and then the quarrelilng tribes of barbarians need to unite against the common foe.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Expert

Default also...

the diplomacy system could be applied to the members of my house, too. in-house diplomacy.

as the leader of my house I would have to give presents, influence, etc. to my fellow barbarians.
if i don't they might join other covenants, desert, revolt, try to assassinate me or one another, go renegade.

the other factions would try and bribe my people, lure them away.
so i need a lot of gold to keep my men happy and deal with the other houses.
when another house recruits a powerful new member, i can try and bribe him into my own services or turn them into spies and traitors... lots of fun to be had, surely.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

In-house diplomacy sounds like a cool idea.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Expert

Default in-house diplomacy

and perhaps even extend the system to certain monsters and town-NPCs... not sure if any other games has such a thing.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Legend

What i am wondering about depths of peril 2, is if it should or should not have a little bit of dins rubbed off onto it. Obviously we all know that the class mixer was a great idea and made dins an even better game. But even though it is unlikely that soldak will do that for dop, they could still do something interesting like this:

You play as a warrior or rogue or conjurer, etc. That is your class. But...you can give it your shot at luck and pick one other subclass of another class and get 1 skill of your choosing from that subclass. Here's the catch-you lose 1 skill from one of your 3 subclasses at random and gain 1 skill at random from that subclass. So a skill for a skill is what you get. I think it would be a cool idea. Your still a single class but, you can tempt the fate a little and who knows what you will get.

Last edited by DeathKnight1728 : 09-13-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:28 AM
Expert

that's cool! you could also find potions, that turn you into another class for a little while with rather strange stats.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Legend

The potion idea would be sick as well. It would be even cooler if they implemented both into the recruits as well. Imagine being able to get lucky by landing a recruit just as an example that is a warrior by class but happens to have the skill to throw fireballs at people. Add on top of that the potion skill with varying abilities and makes. The possibilities are making my head spin!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Expert

wicked!

sooo many surprises possible. you could also buff NPCs that are under attack and just watch the battle unfold... (like the thief in town quest).
generally I love the idea of just watching, i.e. not controlling everything all the time, including my own char.

majesty, the fantasy kingdom sim, does that. great fun.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Legend

I still think one of the best ideas (that shadow has heard prally a thousand times by now) is a mano e mano mode or easier stated as: Solo mode.
In this mode you are the sole benefactor to your covenant. However unlike Loner mode, your opponents in other covenants are also solo as well. So basically, its a one man mode thats fair. This would be very interesting when you are a rogue and you got to go against a warrior, no one's backing you up. The same is true if you are a mage and usually rely on a guard of some sort to attack, not there anymore. If you play things right, you may just become a powerful force through skill. Unlike in loner mode, you may only have yourself, but the enemy doesnt have a whole covenant against you. This makes it much more of a fair man's version of loner mode.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Expert

Default clan wars

you could also go in this direction:

barbarians are clannish people, so are monsters.

there could be wars, declared by a covenant in league with a certain monster group against your own house.

like: the shadow league and the orcs forge an alliance to raid my house. spies could inform me of this. (i.e. a quest i need to stop a meeting between two bosses, but one of them is the leader of the brotherhood of steel)