Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Amateur

Default Keyboard issue

I searched through the forum, but couldn't find anything about my particular problem. I installed the demo and set up some options so the game will run smoother on my pc, but when I try to make a character, my keyboard won't work. I know it's not the keyboard (obviously I'm typing now), it just doesn't seem to like the game. The options for configuring controls also won't work with the keyboard. I tried installing the demo from emotionrays.com and then came here and tried this one. Both had the same issue. If anyone has had and fixed this problem or if anyone can just tell me what may be the problem, I would be most grateful. I really want to try this game out. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, that's a new one. Is there anything special about your keyboard? Something other than the typical QWERTY layout? A non-English keyboard?

It sounds like no keys are working, is this correct or is it only certain keys?
Patreon
Old 12-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Ok, that's a new one. Is there anything special about your keyboard? Something other than the typical QWERTY layout? A non-English keyboard?

It sounds like no keys are working, is this correct or is it only certain keys?
No keys seem to work. It's a typical keyboard that came with my Dell desktop pc. I've only had this computer for around 2 years, maybe 3. It is english QWERTY. I couldn't hit numbers, letters or the ESC key in the configuration options window or the character creation name and convention or whatever areas. I could still click the mouse though.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Happen to know what version of DirectX you have running? You can find this out by going to control panel and double clicking on the DirectX option (at least in XP).
Patreon
Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Happen to know what version of DirectX you have running? You can find this out by going to control panel and double clicking on the DirectX option (at least in XP).
It's not in my control panel, so I just did the dxdiag thing. It says DirectX 9.0c. Is that good enough? I haven't really kept up with the latest updates unless something I installed said to upgrade. Sorry.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

That's higher than I currently have installed. The game really shouldn't need anything even remotely recent DirectX wise, but I just wanted to check.

Off hand, I don't know what else can be causing the keyboard to simply not work. I'll do some research though.

Anyone else ever have their keyboard not work in a game and manage to fix the problem?

You could reboot your computer and see if that would help any.
Patreon
Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Amateur

Quote:
That's higher than I currently have installed. The game really shouldn't need anything even remotely recent DirectX wise, but I just wanted to check.

Off hand, I don't know what else can be causing the keyboard to simply not work. I'll do some research though.

Anyone else ever have their keyboard not work in a game and manage to fix the problem?

You could reboot your computer and see if that would help any.
Rebooting twice did seem to fix it. I guess the first reboot wasn't good enough. lol Thanks for all the help. I tried the game for like an hour, it seems really good, just I have to get the hang of what to do. I know I messed up at least two good times already, lmao. Anyway, thanks again!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

That's strange, but I'm glad that rebooting got it working.

I still don't know how that can happen though. On startup the game checks a bunch of things with the keyboard setup to make sure everything is ok. If windows tells the game it failed on any of these, it actually exits the game and gives you an error message. You would think windows would error out on something if the keys don't work at all.
Patreon
Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Amateur

Quote:
That's strange, but I'm glad that rebooting got it working.

I still don't know how that can happen though. On startup the game checks a bunch of things with the keyboard setup to make sure everything is ok. If windows tells the game it failed on any of these, it actually exits the game and gives you an error message. You would think windows would error out on something if the keys don't work at all.
I never assume Windows has any sort of intelligence.
Maybe it didn't realize the keyboard wasn't working since the mouse still did. Who knows? At least it's working now. I'm going to try to make a new character. Rogue is nice, but I want to try magic now.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Amateur

I've just had the keyboard failure problem too. Mine's a pretty standard, oldish, 105 key English qwerty model. I was thinking to plug my Saitek Gamer's Keyboard in and try, but if a reboot will do it, I'll try that first.