Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2007, 03:57 AM
Amateur

Default Games run so slow

I install the game, but it run so slow. I try to minimize the graphic quality but still run slow. My computer spec: PIV2.4GHZ, 256RAM, Geforce MX 4 64MB, Windows XP SP2

I also try to another computer, it run smoothly at first, but getting slow and slow, then crash. Spec: PIV 3GHz, 256RAM, Ati Radeon Mobility 9700 128MB, Windows XP SP2
Old 12-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

If you haven't tried it already, I would try turning off the shadows and better lighting. You can also play with the minimap off and zoomed in a little more to speed up the game.
Patreon
Old 12-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Amateur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
If you haven't tried it already, I would try turning off the shadows and better lighting. You can also play with the minimap off and zoomed in a little more to speed up the game.
I have tried that already, but the problem still the same. (when the "X" symbol exsist means that capability enable right?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the X means it's on. There might not be much more you can do. You still have compressed textures on, right? Compressed textures is actually faster.
Patreon
Old 01-16-2008, 03:13 AM
Amateur

I wonder if the earlier poster had been playing the demo version. I just got the demo to work and began playing tonight. The demo runs painfully slow on my machine, which seems odd looking at your recommended specs. (Check my specs at http://pastebin.com/m7b42f863.) I've reduced my graphical options as much as I can; 800x600, no shadows, no monitor sync, no filtering, both compressed and uncompressed textures, 56k frequency, no anisotropic filtering, very low ground detail, no anti-aliasing, no better lighting, no bloom, no detail models, and I even repackaged the assets001.zip to 'store' only, no compression.

Still, I played for about an hour, completing the first few tutorial quests, but it wasn't much fun. The sound still stuttered, my character would move only in long jumps, and there was always a delay between my mouse clicks and the game's response.

It looks like you could have an interesting game here, and I like to help independent game developers whenever I can. However, I want to play a demo before I spend my money and be sure I will enjoy the game. Please let me know if there's something I could do to make this demo run properly.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Elite

Unfortunately, the GeForce MX line has always been incredibly useless and is now little more than a paperweight. However, the second machine you listed should run the game fantastically. The only thing I can think of is that you need more RAM. If you are getting a lot of HDD access while you playing, it is almost guaranteed that more RAM will increase performance. I haven't had 256MB in a machine since 2002.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Elite

MacGuges, I would think a Radeon 9600 would work okay with this game, but you would have to confirm with Steven. Its getting a little long in the tooth and was never the fastest card to begin with. Can't be too much slower than a 9700 mobility though. Other than that, I really can't guess what the problem is.

Just for reference, I am running on a Core Duo 1.8GHz with a 128MB Nvidia 7300 Go with 1024MB RAM. By no means a great machine, yet the game runs at a steady rate at 1280x960 with all details high except AA is disabled. With AA on the framerate is unacceptable, but that is quite normal given my setup.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Elite

gee, i'm glad that i've been able to upgrade my computer every 5ish years thanks to other people paying for it. current specs: 1028 MB of ram, 2.4 gigahertz cpu, nividia geforce 7300. i'm guessing the second one either has compatibility problems or is experiencing a memory leak.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Champion

My computer is pretty darned slow, too. My way of compensating is to just save, exit, and shut the game down when I notice it running too slow, and start it back up again. Takes about ten seconds and then I'm running great again.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Off hand it looks like your graphics drivers are pretty old. I would update to the latest drivers and see if that helps.
Patreon