Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Other RPGs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Elite

Default ToME4

ToME4 (Tales of Maj'Eyal) is a roguelike, but is very interesting. The author has diverged somewhat from the standard the roguelike genre , for example, several of the advanced character classes need to be unlocked in order to play them via quests or achievements. There are no potions or scrolls, no eating requirements, and after an early quest, most items are auto-ID'd, so the player can concentrate on tactical combat and how to best use skills and not item management. There are also four difficulty modes, two of which include some ability to resurrect and take less damage, which allows new players to get a good feel for the game without the difficulty and permadeath of most roguelikes. The other two modes are normal roguelike (no advantages and permadeath) and insane, for the masochists.

Even without the advanced classes, there are many character types to play, and each one has a fairly extensive skill system to develop from.

There are tiles for graphics (still in development) as well as ascii. Although still in beta (beta 19 was just recently released) it is very playable and IMO a lot of fun. I think that anyone looking for an interesting, newbie-friendly, turn-based RPG might want to check this out.

http://te4.org/
Old 01-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Elite

Well, I looked at the screen shots and downloaded what I thought was the game but it ended up being..I think..the engine the program runs on. Where is the game? How do I get it going for a Mac? It looked interesting.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Elite

I don't have a Mac but there is a download link for Mac OSX which looks like it includes the game. At the "New Game" screen the line for ToME should already be highlighted.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Elite

I finally got my son to check on things and apparently it is intel only for the Mac. I didn't see any mention of that on site.

Caal,
Quote:
I don't have a Mac but there is a download link for Mac OSX which looks like it includes the game. At the "New Game" screen the line for ToME should already be highlighted.
I didn't see anything anywhere I could 'click' that said 'New Game" by the way. I'll port over what I did download to my laptop later today and see what happenes.

edit: Okay, it works alright on my laptop. I'll have to try to play it tomorrow when I'm more awake. Had a bad night last night and can't think very well today. The tutoral got to be too much for me. sigh. Yawn!

Last edited by Amberjoy : 01-30-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 01-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjoy View Post
edit: Okay, it works alright on my laptop. I'll have to try to play it tomorrow when I'm more awake. Had a bad night last night and can't think very well today. The tutoral got to be too much for me. sigh. Yawn!
I don't know how much experience you have with roguelikes, but constant death, failure, and frustration are their main characteristics. I can rarely play a roguelike for more than an hour or two before putting it aside in disgust. Some geeks like losing a game 1,000+ times before ever winning. I ain't one of them.

This one sounds fairly lenient by genre standards, but it's still likely to be a hard slog.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumitted View Post
I don't know how much experience you have with roguelikes, but constant death, failure, and frustration are their main characteristics. I can rarely play a roguelike for more than an hour or two before putting it aside in disgust. Some geeks like losing a game 1,000+ times before ever winning. I ain't one of them.

This one sounds fairly lenient by genre standards, but it's still likely to be a hard slog.
Yeah, I don't play them anymore for that reason along with carpal tunnel appearing after an hour of clicking. I used to play them all the time as I couldn't find rpg time-based games for the computer I was using at the time (Amiga) and when we got the Mac I was able to find a few to use up my time. Still, it's a change of pace from playing Romi/solitaire and other card games. And of course Din's Curse and Escalon: Book II.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Elite

Okay, I've tried and tried to figure things out and also checked Google and the forum (not that much) How do you sell stuff?????!!!! The game I started out has me near a halfling village with stores and houses. I can get into the stores to buy stuff (not much, little money) but none of the stuff I found in the nearby dungeon shows up on the inventory list except for a black agate. That I could sell but weapons and armour, even real cheap ones. No go. ANd no place to stash the stuff, like a house!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr HELP!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Champion

Quote:
Okay, I've tried and tried to figure things out and also checked Google and the forum (not that much) How do you sell stuff?????!!!! The game I started out has me near a halfling village with stores and houses. I can get into the stores to buy stuff (not much, little money) but none of the stuff I found in the nearby dungeon shows up on the inventory list except for a black agate. That I could sell but weapons and armour, even real cheap ones. No go. ANd no place to stash the stuff, like a house!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr HELP!
In b19, the only items shops will buy from you are gems and artifacts (yellow or orange objects). Money does start out a bit tight, but later you end up with plenty of gems and unneeded artifacts to sell. Also, there is a quest you can do that gives you a house. The Old Forest eventually leads you to the place where the house is. That quest is much easier to do once you have some means of water breathing, but it's possible to do without.

Last edited by TheRani : 02-01-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Elite

Okay, thanks. And thanks for the tip on water breathing and where house might be.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Champion

Quote:
Yeah, I don't play them anymore for that reason along with carpal tunnel appearing after an hour of clicking. I used to play them all the time as I couldn't find rpg time-based games for the computer I was using at the time (Amiga) and when we got the Mac I was able to find a few to use up my time. Still, it's a change of pace from playing Romi/solitaire and other card games. And of course Din's Curse and Escalon: Book II.
Most "real" roguelikes like Nethack are turn-based, so carpal tunnel isn't much of an issue. Diablo and Din's are like real-time roguelikes, and they will wear out a mouse or a hand. Not so much with Din's, thanks to most characters having some sort of crowd control. I don't know that I could go back to clicking each mob multiple times like I had to do in Diablo.