Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Other RPGs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumitted View Post
Most "real" roguelikes like Nethack are turn-based, so carpal tunnel isn't much of an issue. Diablo and Din's are like real-time roguelikes, and they will wear out a mouse or a hand. Not so much with Din's, thanks to most characters having some sort of crowd control. I don't know that I could go back to clicking each mob multiple times like I had to do in Diablo.
I had to quit last night because my wrist was starting to ache, I was in the Trollmire. Hitting those 150hp trolls with 5-8 points of damage over and over did me in. I had just gotten to the last screen, I think, where a building wall showed up. I figured the building would be full of trolls so I decided to wait till today to go for a look-see.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjoy View Post
I had to quit last night because my wrist was starting to ache, I was in the Trollmire. Hitting those 150hp trolls with 5-8 points of damage over and over did me in. I had just gotten to the last screen, I think, where a building wall showed up. I figured the building would be full of trolls so I decided to wait till today to go for a look-see.
When you're first starting out, you normally have around 10gp in starting money. It's not a bad idea to leave the Trollmire and check the shops in Derth for a better quality weapon. If you have an iron weapon, look for a steel one. If you have a rough leather weapon, look for a cured leather weapon. If you have an elm weapon, look for an ash weapon. 10 gp should cover it. You'd hit a good bit harder.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Expert

glad you posted about this - I'll be sure to check it out once I have a chance. Permadeath has always been a showstopper for me to really enjoy roguelikes.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRani View Post
When you're first starting out, you normally have around 10gp in starting money. It's not a bad idea to leave the Trollmire and check the shops in Derth for a better quality weapon. If you have an iron weapon, look for a steel one. If you have a rough leather weapon, look for a cured leather weapon. If you have an elm weapon, look for an ash weapon. 10 gp should cover it. You'd hit a good bit harder.
I discovered that town early and kept going back to get stuff identified (until I got the scry item) and did up weapon and armor. That character I was complaining about got killed in the final level of the Trollmire by guess who?! I made the mistake of clicking on wrong choice instead of use resurrect option and ended up at first level again. That was my 'learn' character anyway, so made up a new character and trying with her. She can hit harder and has better armor but still leery of getting the two bad guys in the starter dungeons. On one trip back to town a new Elven Ruins dungeon popped up. Went in out of curiosity and took a look at the stats of the enemy and immediatly popped back out! I've got my new character up to level 5 and searching through Trollmire after going to most of the levels in the other one. Using 'Discovery' option. I like the Troll poem.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Elite

Beta 20 is now out, although not for Mac yet (sorry Amber )
Old 02-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caal View Post
Beta 20 is now out, although not for Mac yet (sorry Amber )
Hey, that's okay. Now that I've had a bit of experience I'm enjoying it more. Got my second character up to level 11! did Trollmire, the other dungeon, a bandit trap (merchant disappeared but got credit anyway), and am now in the ancient elf forest (I think that's what its called), did a bit of exploring and found 3 other towns, and an apprentice mage looking for stuff. Man those Honeytrees are a bear to kill, not to mention the bees in their bonnets... Still haven't found a place to stash or sell stuff, though I did find where I could recharge wands. Oh, did the Arena beginner thingy too. Phew! There's a lot of stuff to do!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Champion

The quest for the house is not that easy anyway. There's a boss in it that you have to kill before you can actually use the house. Usually I don't do that quest until my character is close to level 20. When I try to do it too early, they die.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRani View Post
The quest for the house is not that easy anyway. There's a boss in it that you have to kill before you can actually use the house. Usually I don't do that quest until my character is close to level 20. When I try to do it too early, they die.
Well, I'm level 18 at the moment and trying to figure out how to do the sandworm-desert quest. The sand keeps falling on top of me and I sufficate! I know I have to wait around to find a cap of water breathing to go into the lake from a previous character.

How do I survive in the sand??? Go back to the Trollmire and kill off the spawn? again and again? Thanks. I tried looking on the forum but no answer and haven't gotten around to registering yet. Still have halfling, dark cloud over Derth town and another one I think are too high level to survive yet.
Any help appreciated.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Champion

Thanks for the heads up on this game, I hadn't heard of it before reading this thread.

It was late last night, got through the tutorial, but so far it feels very well done. Looking forward to playing it some more.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Elite

I checked out the game after hearing about it on this thread. It's a lot of fun.
Here's a trick that might be useful at some point. After getting killed by the Trollmire boss (I still had a life left), I led him all the way across the screen and ducked over to the previous level. Then I rested and came back to the last level. The boss was still there, and still with reduced hit points. Since I was fully charged, I actually managed to kill him.

Last edited by Roswitha : 02-16-2011 at 11:17 AM.