Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Other RPGs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswitha View Post
I checked out the game after hearing about it on this thread. It's a lot of fun.
Here's a trick that might be useful at some point. After getting killed by the Trollmire boss (I still had a life left), I led him all the way across the screen and ducked over to the previous level. Then I rested and came back to the last level. The boss was still there, and still with reduced hit points. Since I was fully charged, I actually managed to kill him.
Let me warn you this trick won't work on all the 'quests'. Especially the Sandworm one. I didn't even know I'd killed the boss of that level when I was just trying to follow the 'goodguy' to find the level 'stairs'! Found the boss loot on my way back trying to find the boss from the bottom level.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Elite

Quote:
I checked out the game after hearing about it on this thread. It's a lot of fun.
Here's a trick that might be useful at some point. After getting killed by the Trollmire boss (I still had a life left), I led him all the way across the screen and ducked over to the previous level. Then I rested and came back to the last level. The boss was still there, and still with reduced hit points. Since I was fully charged, I actually managed to kill him.
It's a fairly common technique in roguelikes, called "stair dancing". Quote from Rogue Basin:

"Stair dancing is similar to pillar dancing, in that the player uses the stairs to evade monsters in the dungeon. In games with persistent levels, the PC can be fighting an enemy, become badly wounded, then run up the nearest stairs. Since in most roguelikes, the PC is the only entity that can use the stairs, the enemy cannot follow. The PC then can heal and return to battle the injured enemy. This process can be repeated until the enemy is dead. The effect on game balance is that a monster that would normally be very dangerous for the player, is not very dangerous at all when encountered near stairs. In some games, such as Dungeon Crawl, monsters will follow the player up stairs, preventing stair dancing. In a game with an effective clock, having to retreat to heal up is its own punishment, as either time or some other resource must be spent in order to again face the opponent."
Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Elite

And here I thought I was being tricky.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjoy View Post
Well, I'm level 18 at the moment and trying to figure out how to do the sandworm-desert quest. The sand keeps falling on top of me and I sufficate! I know I have to wait around to find a cap of water breathing to go into the lake from a previous character.

How do I survive in the sand??? Go back to the Trollmire and kill off the spawn? again and again? Thanks. I tried looking on the forum but no answer and haven't gotten around to registering yet. Still have halfling, dark cloud over Derth town and another one I think are too high level to survive yet.
Any help appreciated.
I don't recommend doing the Sandworm Lair until you are wearing a Rune of Teleportation. Normally I do the first few dungeons in roughly this order: Trollmire, Old Forest (until I get to the lake. Leave that for later), the Maze, Kor'Pul, Sandworm Lair, DaiKara. If I run across some means of water-breathing, I'll do the house quest somewhere between Kor'Pul and Daikara.

When you're in at least the upper teen levels, and you have a means of teleportation (a teleport wand is nice to bring, too, if you have one), you can try the Sandworm lair. Some means of resisting or curing blindness is helpful, too. As soon as you start to suffocate, teleport. It will normally bring you to a better place, more often than not. If it doesn't, that's when the wand comes in handy. I normally handle the sandworm lair by teleporting over and over until I get to the room with the stairs, and go down. When I get to the last level, I teleport over and over until I find the queen. It's the easiest way, really.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRani View Post
I don't recommend doing the Sandworm Lair until you are wearing a Rune of Teleportation. Normally I do the first few dungeons in roughly this order: Trollmire, Old Forest (until I get to the lake. Leave that for later), the Maze, Kor'Pul, Sandworm Lair, DaiKara. If I run across some means of water-breathing, I'll do the house quest somewhere between Kor'Pul and Daikara.
Well, I'm up in the mid 20's level now. House quest? Where'd you get that?

I finished the Sandworm and decided to go breath underwater and check around there. Found a teleport room with something that wanted me to stick my Rod of Recall into it. Didn't. Was too leery. Did Dikara and while there found a temporal rift??? thing. Don't know what that was. Ignored it and went down to bottom and killed off boss. Have several other places to go now and don't know which one to take. Haven't finished 'cloud over town' thing yet where the mage colony sends you somewhere. Nor the temporal rift and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. Hope I didn't miss some of those 'pieces of paper' messages telling me what to do.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Elite

I'm level 19 now (hurray) and have run into a bit of a quandary. I had finished Daikara and was wandering around to see what I could see. I came across a town called Zigur. It has a quest called the Curse of Magic. If you join their group you can never be corrupted by magic again. They asked if I wanted to join. I said no, and got a Failed quest, so I went and talked to them again, and then picked yes. So they stripped me of all magic and I fought and beat their arena. However, since I had already failed the quest, they didn't accept me into their order, but I now have a permanent antimagic condition so I can't use anything that takes magic (like teleport runes). So I've got the worst of both worlds here.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: He died in the sandworm lair so the question is moot. It occurred to me, too late to actually check, that a pickaxe might be useful there.

Last edited by Roswitha : 03-03-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Elite

Quote:
I'm level 19 now (hurray) and have run into a bit of a quandary. I had finished Daikara and was wandering around to see what I could see. I came across a town called Zigur. It has a quest called the Curse of Magic. If you join their group you can never be corrupted by magic again. They asked if I wanted to join. I said no, and got a Failed quest, so I went and talked to them again, and then picked yes. So they stripped me of all magic and I fought and beat their arena. However, since I had already failed the quest, they didn't accept me into their order, but I now have a permanent antimagic condition so I can't use anything that takes magic (like teleport runes). So I've got the worst of both worlds here.

Any suggestions?
I have no idea. I had to stop playing. Wait, I was on their forum the other day and recall someone asking something similar to that. Check there.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Expert

I am not sure which client to download to play (Windows OS) - any recommendations on which is the most stable/most functional?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldazar View Post
I am not sure which client to download to play (Windows OS) - any recommendations on which is the most stable/most functional?
For PC's I know they did an update but not sure if it's stable. I use Mac, this is the one I used: 'T-engine4-OSX-1.0.0beta.dmg'

It's seems stable enough to me. Like I said, I've had to stop playing it for a while. I'm torn now with so many to play - Din's Curse (reg version, not war), Avadon (Spiderweb) and replaying Escalon: Book 1 and of course the one we're talking about here.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjoy View Post
Well, I'm up in the mid 20's level now. House quest? Where'd you get that?

I finished the Sandworm and decided to go breath underwater and check around there. Found a teleport room with something that wanted me to stick my Rod of Recall into it. Didn't. Was too leery. Did Dikara and while there found a temporal rift??? thing. Don't know what that was. Ignored it and went down to bottom and killed off boss. Have several other places to go now and don't know which one to take. Haven't finished 'cloud over town' thing yet where the mage colony sends you somewhere. Nor the temporal rift and a couple of others I can't recall at the moment. Hope I didn't miss some of those 'pieces of paper' messages telling me what to do.

Actually, putting the Rod of Recall in the device would have given you the house.

The Temporal Rift takes you to a special area that leads to a quest that gives you the opportunity to fight several bosses, and rewards you with a unique rune that you can't get anywhere else.

If you can handle Daikara, you should be able to handle the "Cloud over town" quest.

There's a command (probably Q) that shows you what quests you need to do. It's helpful when you're not sure what you should do next.

The Antimagic quest was a little buggy for a while there, but I managed to play an antimagic archer the other day with no problems, so it's probably fixed in the latest version (b21). It's available for the Mac from here: http://te4.org/download

Last edited by TheRani : 03-13-2011 at 12:23 AM.