Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default Nutrition labels

This isn't gaming related at all, but gamers especially RPG gamers tend to be good with numbers.

I really have a problem with nutrition labels lately. They tell me some useful stuff like calories, but after that they are pretty useless (this is probably US specific). In this case I have 2 liquids to choose from, liquid 1 and liquid 2. If you just go by the nutrition information on the label it's difficult to tell which one is better than the other. Can you tell? In this case I very well know which one is better for me.

Liquid 1
8 fl oz
Calories: 100
Fat: 0g (0%)
Sodium: 45mg (2%)
Carbohydrates: 27g (9%)
Sugars: 27g
Protein: 0g

Liquid 2
8 fl oz
Calories: 120
Fat: 0g (0%)
Sodium: 5mg (0%)
Potassium: 250mg (7%)
Carbohydrates: 30g (10%)
Sugars: 28g
Protein: 0g
Magnesium: 2%

I'll post what the 2 liquids are in the forum thread some time in the next couple days.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Legend

I would say liquid 2 would be better for you because though the carbohydrates, sugar and calories are higher on it, the 250mg potassium that you get, is very needed and isnt in the 1st liquid.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Champion

I'm gonna say that I can't tell by what is shown here. And that, I think, is your point, Shadow. I also agree with you - if I am right anyhow.

Liquid one could very well have more potassium, less sugar and even more other vitamins and minerals but for some reason doesn't bother to mention that their product has other good stuff in it. So, product one could end up being better for you despite what the label does or does not say.

I am also going to guess that we are looking at sports drinks?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Elite

No. I stopped buying sports drinks when they added high fructose syrup. Although, I hate to say, one of the liquids does have high fructose syrup in it. :-/ I like to walk the line between healthy and customary eating. All things in moderation except for games and sff. *Firefly Forever*
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Elite

I'd have to go with #2.
The sodium is waaaay less in 2.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Elite

How about option 3--water!

One more useful tip (that actually sucks).
It's much better for you to drink stuff that is at room temperature. The liquids cool down your stomach and actually lower your metabolism a little bit. So basically, your stomach has to slow down on digesting to warm up again.

Which sucks, cuz I love pop!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Elite

Given those two choices, I'd take #2 because of the low salt and high potassium. Otherwise I'd stick with water, iced and flavored for variety with lemon juice, fresh squeezed. Have to have low salt in everything. sigh. Just about all I drink these days is water. Summer time the occassional Diet Riet cola. (allergic to most corn products and diet sugars except Splenda).
Old 02-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Rehm View Post
No. I stopped buying sports drinks when they added high fructose syrup. Although, I hate to say, one of the liquids does have high fructose syrup in it. :-/ I like to walk the line between healthy and customary eating. All things in moderation except for games and sff. *Firefly Forever*
If you shop at HEB, you can buy their house brand sports drink, which still has no HFCS. It kills me how Gatorade and Powerade charge 25% more for their cheap HFCS-laden poison over the store brand, which still uses a formula like Gatorade used to be.

Another thing you can do is buy sports drink powder and mix your own. For obvious reasons, the powders don't/can't have HFCS.

All this said, no sugar-water drink is good for you or your teeth. Stick to plain water or unsweet tea.

@Tori: For those of us who live in warm climates, we don't mind if a bit of slowed digestion accompanies our summer drinks. And you'll never convince anyone to drink room temperature beer. Ugh.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Legend

HFCS has been vilified recently but I'm not sure it's justified. Read this great article for details: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6501

Turns out all type of sugar are about equally bad for you. Yep, it sucks to be us
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Elite

I'm convinced the reason I was able to break my long obsession with soda is because of HFCS. Now days, I mostly don't like it and would rather drink water or pink lemonade. 10 years ago I would not go a day with out Dr. Pepper, my long time favorite, and now I can't stand Dr. Pepper (but occasionally have a sprite).

I didn't think it was the HFCS until I started making waffles again. I used to love them, but didn't really car for the taste of the syrup now... You guessed it! It has HFCS. I bought some expensive pure maple syrup and it is heaven.

Even though I don't like the taste of products with HFCS, I'm not fond of new "drugs" or "inventions" or whatever in my food because long term studies with mass populations haven't been done. I'm appalled at what has been allowed in the name of cheap. If I don't pay attention to what's in the foods I'm buying, it'd be so easy to ruin my health and my family's health over time. I mean, do standard preservatives increase the risk of cancer? Natural foods spoil faster but that is worth it to me if I get to live longer and still function and am physically active.

For me, HFCS is a matter of taste and health.